• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods with Justin Cook, Chris Sabat, and Sean Schemmel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They can be proud of the result, the show got on TV (though it already had been on TV), but proud of what they had to do to accomplish it? Come on, even other dubbed anime on TV at the time were better off than DBZ. Yeah, extremely popular, but at what cost? They butchered it.

Mind you, Sabat started in 1999. DBZ had already been on TV in America for three years, and anime with more faithful and better acted dubs were already on at that point. We're not talking 1996 here.

What is your point? Those three years had a different cast, so it's not like the experience that Ocean's actors had somehow translates to the Funi actors. Plus, I'd say Funi did a better job dubbing compared to Ocean anyway. And I'd say the cost of "butchering" it was obviously outweighed by the benefits of having a smash success. Being faithful is nice and all, but the show wasn't being targeted at an audience that craved that sort of thing.

Of course, I don't know why something that was done fifteen years ago is still an issue for you. It's not like it's difficult to get the Japanese version. You've made it abundantly clear how you feel about DBZ's dub, so I don't know why you keep coming back.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
I've love to know which DBZ Japanese VA that penguintruth (at times, he seems like a sub elitist) feels aren't good as the DBZ Funi cast.

Well, none. I'm just saying the gap is getting shorter between them, mostly because the Japanese cast is getting older.

I'm not a "sub elitist" if I prefer the Japanese cast, even by a lot. I'm a "sub elitist" if I don't give English dubs a chance at all, which I do.

Would you say you prefer any of those English dubs to the Japanese, or do you think they're just particularly good? I've sampled or watched-in-their-entirety the English dub of almost all the shows I've seen out of those (Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Baccano!, Summer Wars, Trigun, Excel Saga, Abenobashi, Princess Mononoke, Haruhi and Spirited Away) but I can't say there are any I think do a better job. I've seen English dubs better than Japanese dubs, but they've never been of the same show. Actually, Mejoku / Sextra Credit's joke dub was probably better acted, but I'm reluctant to count that.

Regarding Dragon Ball Z, I actually only watched it, or rather Kai, properly in Japanese this year, but I thought the Japanese dub was clearly a level or two above the English. I can definitely understand how someone could prefer the English, though.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
You've made it abundantly clear how you feel about DBZ's dub, so I don't know why you keep coming back.

Couldn't someone say others have made it abundantly clear how they feel about penguintruth's opinions? It's a circle. What exactly is your point, other than you don't like someone else's point?

Anyway, I would hope Sabat found the time to comb through the dub before the movie gets its home release.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
They added photoshop glow to the battle of the gods poster. Yuck.

You heard this before but....Sabat, you will never be the voice of Vegeta. It will always be Horikawa, but in the english dub you are still a place holder for Brian Drummond. I've bought every VHS tape Funimation released and still didn't feel you even came close to the Ocean dub of Vegeta. Sure Goku's father may have been a "brilliant scientist" "sent to the next dimension" and Goku's power level was "over 9000" but man, no one could scream like Drummond. Sabat sounds like a raspy brodog in comparison.

This history they reminisce are for dub fans only, ya know those of us who bought the DBZ soundtracks with Deftones and what not. Funimation has money in mind, being respectful is not what they are about. They delve out a byproduct. Let the brain dead legion enjoy it. The 90's are long over. Its 2014 are we are still talking about DBZ, and if thats the case, its going to be around another 100 years if it can help it. And ill bet the next ten generations will be just as vocal as we are about the dub that was changed when they last heard it. What then?

Funimation doesn't own DBZ so they can only do so much damage.

I... I dont know what to say..

I'm just going to let this post speak for itself.

i believe i might have brain damage from reading this post

Last edited by rockman nes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If it was an interview with with the Japanese with both the Funimation & Ocean voices Vegeta and Goku, that would a huge honor.

unfortunately most people wouldnt.

cause just like the DIC version of SM, those same people also angst over the Pioneer/Geneon version of DBZ.

Also if that is the case then that means that the god form is officially Super Sayian 4 considering that the whole GT arc isnt Akira's creations and not sanctioned either.just an massive filler material by toei to milk money from the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
Don't people realize that Akira Toriyama didn't write Battle of Gods? Yosuke Watanabe did. So whether you liked the movie or not (I did), Toriyama doesn't get the blame/credit. He created the characters and concepts, yes, and this movie at least had his blessing, unlike GT.

I'm contemplating seeing this movie in the theatre on August 7. Depends on my budget and the weather.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It would be interesting to hear what the DBZ dub would've sounded like had FUNi stayed in Silicon Valley (they probably would've done it in LA).
It probably would have been similar to the original dub of Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout on the PS1, which used Animaze voice talent.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:

I... I don't know what to say..

I'm just going to let this post speak for itself.

i believe i might have brain damage from reading this post
Try to be constructive Or you will be reported for trolling.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It would be interesting to hear what the DBZ dub would've sounded like had FUNi stayed in Silicon Valley (they probably would've done it in LA).
It probably would have been similar to the original dub of Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout on the PS1, which used Animaze voice talent.

That's not really a good gauge. It's obvious that was a rush job the people behind it took little to no effort in casting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2