• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise #1-2's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, FFS, it's not Stand Alone Complex! There's no reason for it to have any of the same voice actors. At all. And Funimation has its own in house studio. Would it be neat to have the SAC English dub cast? Yes! Does it need to have them to be a good dub? No.

This is like people who insist that Kevin Conroy must ALWAYS be the voice of Batman. Sure, he's the best voice for Batman, but if the feature is not in the DCAU, there's no particular reason for him to play him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
spinja446

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
If Funi really wanted to hunt down and get the whole SAC cast back to reprise they're roles they could've but they didn't and I'm ok with that. I'm really looking forward to this dub.

People are really going to detest this release cause they aren't using a full on original voice cast? Let's not forget Funi has a damn fine track record at getting original voice casts back like Ikki Tousen Great Guardians and Xtreme Xecutor, Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail and Bayonetta etc. Funi wants to try something different. So what, whoopty freakin doo!
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
People are really going to detest this release cause they aren't using a full on original voice cast? Let's not forget Funi has a damn fine track record at getting original voice casts back like Ikki Tousen Great Guardians and Xtreme Xecutor, Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail and Bayonetta etc. Funi wants to try something different. So what, whoopty freakin doo!

I hope that Funimation gets the whole Danganronpa crew back to reprise they're roles for that. *Fingers Crossed*
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
spinja446 wrote:

I hope that Funimation gets the whole Danganronpa crew back to reprise they're roles for that. *Fingers Crossed*

I feel like that about Hyperdimension Neptunia, I hope that FUNimation uses the same cast as the games.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Not listening to this dub. Sounds like another terrible Funimation dub. I understand why Mokoto's va can be different, but Aramaki and Batou. Nope! This is even harder to like since they have been those character's va's since the first movie. Even in the damn PS1 game. I really just wanted the Stand Alone Complex and feared this would happen when Funimation got the it. I can't stand funimation dubs.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Elizabeth Maxwell as Motoko, I have no real problem with. She's got potential, if her performance as Ymir in Attack on Titan is anything to go by.

But really, not bringing back Richard Epcar, Crispin Freeman, or William Knight? What heresy is this?

u6064vision wrote:

gravediggernalk wrote:
I feel like that about Hyperdimension Neptunia, I hope that FUNimation uses the same cast as the games.

Considering that they got Bryce Papenbrook for Attack on Titan, they'd better bring him back to reprise Naegi. Also, Erin Fitzgerald as Junko and Noire, or I'm not buying.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
While I do strongly believe that franchises should maintain consistent voice actors across all media (unless the characters radically change), this doesn't look like a bad cast, and they even got Mary McGlynn back for another character. It also looks like they went out of their way to cast a good voice for the Major instead of just casting someone popular (which, let's be honest, would not really affect the show's overall success).
spinja446

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
I believe Funimation can and will get the casts back for Hyperdimension Neptunia and Danganronpa. However getting the entire cast back for BlazBlue Alter Memory would be a challenge and a lot of effort.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Oh, FFS, it's not Stand Alone Complex! There's no reason for it to have any of the same voice actors. At all. And Funimation has its own in house studio. Would it be neat to have the SAC English dub cast? Yes! Does it need to have them to be a good dub? No.

This is like people who insist that Kevin Conroy must ALWAYS be the voice of Batman. Sure, he's the best voice for Batman, but if the feature is not in the DCAU, there's no particular reason for him to play him.

Epic fail and dumb logic. Epcar played Batou in the 1995 GITS and SAC, which are two different Batous. Same with William Knight. Aside from that cheapo Ocean dub, they've been playing the characters longer than anyone else, INCLUDING the former Japanese cast. McGlynn played the real, feminine Motoko from SAC, but she also played the butch, ugly, unfunny Motoko from Innocence. Oh and Kevin Conroy appears a lot in the non-DCAU, so point shot.

Anyway, to quote MoeKillerX, "DON'T TELL ME SHE'S TOO SULTRY TO PLAY MOTOKO. LISTEN TO HER IN PERSONA 4, YOU IDIOTS! THAT'S NOT SULTRY AT ALL!" so that kinda destroys that argument. McGlynn does have range, believe it or not. Naoto sounds nothing like Motoko at all, so she could use that voice for chibi Motoko.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
A few exceptions do not sink my logic. It's a different iteration, there's no reason why it absolutely has to be the SAC cast. And the Innocence dub was done that way to please the SAC fans, after the fact, because it had previously been released without an English dub. And, by the way, that dub didn't work at all.

Yes, Conroy has played Batman in non-DCAU features. But he's also not done so in many, and many of them have done well without him. He's not right for every version of the character.

The fact that the Japanese cast of Arise is different than the SAC cast is reason enough for a brand new English dub cast. Would it have been neat to have the cast from SAC? Sure. But if you're refusing to watch this because it doesn't, that's incredibly lame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Felis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
A few exceptions do not sink my logic. It's a different iteration, there's no reason why it absolutely has to be the SAC cast. And the Innocence dub was done that way to please the SAC fans, after the fact, because it had previously been released without an English dub. And, by the way, that dub didn't work at all.

Yes, Conroy has played Batman in non-DCAU features. But he's also not done so in many, and many of them have done well without him. He's not right for every version of the character.

The fact that the Japanese cast of Arise is different than the SAC cast is reason enough for a brand new English dub cast. Would it have been neat to have the cast from SAC? Sure. But if you're refusing to watch this because it doesn't, that's incredibly lame.

Oh come on now, sure it's a different iteration of Ghost in the Shell and the Japanese cast has been changed, but I can think of one pretty good reason to keep the SAC cast: it is very popular and well received English dub that many people consider to be the definitive voices of the characters. It is the same reason why people want Kevin Conroy to voice Batman. Whether or not it's the same continuity doesn't really matter. A lot of people just associate these characters with those voice actors.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
but removing Epcar (Batou), Freeman (Togusa), and Knight (Aramaki) are laughable decisions.

this. I didn't expect Mary or Crispin to voice Motoko and Togusa but without Epcar and Knight I can't give a damn about the dub (unless I somehow get the dvd for free)
Demon's Dream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
It's unnatural for Motoko to be anyone other that McGlynn or for Batou to be anyone other than Epcar. I can't abide by this, and will stick with the subtitled version.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
I might be giving those imports a second look.

j Talbain wrote:
Now IDK if I'll just import or suck it up and deal with all these changes. I don't like change!

What are you two going on about? Why not just buy the Funimation release for $23-$35 depending where you buy? You get Dual Audio/Subbed and two episodes at a cheaper price. I'm mean you could spend $50 on one episode and end up paying more in the long run...

I was already considering the more pricy (and neat-looking) import version since I'm a big GITS fan and thought it would be nice to have something like that (I don't purchase many imports, so having one from one of my favorite franchises--one that helped launch my interest in anime--felt like a neat thing to do). I was willing to go with the FUNimation release if the great, and largely consistent, dub cast was kept relatively intact (I wasn't expecting a full-out one, but at least the core/mainstay ones). I don't really care for the company's in-house dubs anymore, so I am more willing to target the imports after this news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
While i liked Maxwell from what i've seen of her in AoT, the rest of these don't sit well with me. Organ doesn't have the buttery smooth sound Freeman has and i never like Sabat in Epcar roles either. Just 2 very different sounds. I'm not a fan of Swasey especially unless he can do a good enough voice match and going by his Gendou i don't have much hope. Not a fan of the casting and Funi using "the japanese did it too" as an excuse just annoys me. Theres no way they'll have assembled a cast with the same level of skill but i do generally tend to like Zach Bolton dubs. I'll give it a shot when its released either way.

Yeah, I'm mixed on it because of this, though I guess I'm glad to hear McGlynn in there at all and she'll have a decent amount of dialogue as the other character. But there really was no need to just follow what the Japanese did and in fact I'd have easily said we had the better release by mile compared to the Japanese one had they gotten the SAC dub cast as they are up there with the Bebop, Black Lagoon, Hellsing, etc. cast as the voices of the characters for me.

Kougeru wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
SilentCid wrote:
Would rather have Mary Elizabeth McGlynn be Motoko instead.

I do see that and it does make sense but even the Japanese version lacks Atsuko Tanaka (For Naruto fans, she played Konan) as Motoko.

The fact that they were able of getting Mary should be considered a nod to GitS fans.
She did fine as young Makoto in SAC, which is who Maaya Sakamoto played in SAC before playing her in Arise. Her young voice works fine. This casting is a let down.

Yeah I think McGlynn could have easily done it even if they wanted her to pitch it a tad higher than her SAC voice or even use a slightly different voice, she's an experienced voice actress. Also, I don't find Maaya Sakamoto's Motoko all that much higher pitched that McGlynn's Motoko would feel overly out of place even in her younger body.

And ofcourse the rest of the characters are already adults who would sound the same as when they are older in their SAC years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3