• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most In Demand English Voice Actresses of 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The results from last week's poll are depressing.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I love dubs and most localization does not bother me at all, but having the names pronounced wrong is one thing that does really annoy me, assuming that I know the correct pronunciation.
Does anybody know why it happens?

Ignorance would be an obvious reason, but don't the directors listen to the Japanese audio? I would think that they have the correct examples for reference.

Is it just ignorance?
Or is it done intentionally for some reason?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Sentai has been dubbing a LOT these past couple years. To those people that still see them as a mostly "sub-only" company, this is NOT 2010. Sentai outdubbed FUNimation last year, and likely did this year as well.

This has been a big year for Stephanie Sheh as well for obvious reasons. Razz
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Heh, so largest portion didn't buy anything. Laughing

I guess I didn't find that nearly as amusing as you. All I can hope is that that 24% were streaming legally, at least.

Quote:
The results from last week's poll are depressing.

Yeah, my take was a little more like that. I really didn't expect the numbers to be that low.

Touma wrote:
I love dubs and most localization does not bother me at all, but having the names pronounced wrong is one thing that does really annoy me, assuming that I know the correct pronunciation.
Does anybody know why it happens?

Ignorance would be an obvious reason, but don't the directors listen to the Japanese audio? I would think that they have the correct examples for reference.

Is it just ignorance?
Or is it done intentionally for some reason?

I wonder if some of them might not actually make their VAs watch the show. In that case, when the VA is handed the written script and they are shown a dialogue-less clip of the show, they just read what they see. Even that seems pretty far fetched to me though. I am right there with you in being completely flabbergasted as to how so many mispronunciations could possibly happen. That is one reason I really don't watch dubs anymore if I can help it. I will watch the GiTS:SAC dub, but only because I have never actually seen the show in Japanese(and the JP BDs that I have are dub-only Sad ). Their pronunciation of "yakoooza" in that still does bother me though. Rolling Eyes
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It's funny because I clicked 0 even though I preordered the first two boxsets of Sailor Moon in a bundle on rightstuf (that wouldn't be released until Feb of next year) and since they don't charge your card until they send it out I didn't count it. But they decided to send me the first set anyway this week and a couple of days later I caved in and bought all 3 boxsets of Utena at a really good price. So now my vote is invalid lol. Still I'm surprised how many people didn't buy anything this year!

I want to meet Luci Christian so bad. She's one of my favorite voice actresses! Half of the list I don't even know; I only know the veterans. Shows how much anime I watch lol.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as Sentai is being brought up, let me contribute by saying I have never ever seen any of their dubs. I've never seen a sub either, but that's beside the point. Hopefully, Sentai can pull their act together now that Steven Foster is gone. Hopefully is the key word here.

I should mention that the only Sentai dubs I'm planning on watching are:

A) Highschool of the Dead: Because based on what others have said, the original track was just as insane, and
B) Watamote: Because Monica Rial. (the dub itself only needed that one good voice actor)

CLANNAD itself is a HUGE maybe. On the one hand, Steven Foster directed it. On the other, he only got his hands on the first thirteen episodes before being pulled off the project (presumably due to his bad behavior and he-just-doesn't-care attitude towards ADR dubbing) and replaced for the rest of the first season and After Story. That's another thing I've noticed; if the anime is long enough, Foster will get taken off and replaced with another director. Look what happened with Kids on the Slope and Penguindrum. It makes me wonder if he would have been fired earlier if Sentai had the money and talent.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Quote:

I guess I didn't find that nearly as amusing as you. All I can hope is that that 24% were streaming legally, at least.

I really doubt that not with all the myriad of free streaming sites on the net.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
When I saw some big names that weren't #1, for whatever reason I guessed Emily correctly Smile
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I find it kinda sad I only know half of these of the actors. Guess that's a product of watching more older anime than newer ones.

Also, would Mewtwo really be considered a cat? I can understand Mew, but to me Mewtwo looks more like an alien than a cat.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I wonder if some of them might not actually make their VAs watch the show.

occasionally a few voice actors will have seen a show they are working on before they were cast in it. most of the time they go in blind, something a lot of directors will take advantage of, keeping them in the dark about events they aren't currently working on so they can get a better performance out of them if they aren't informed about what's going to happen next
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I love Monica Rial. She does fine work, even in casts who don't. Why, her and Emily Neves carried that Penguindrum dub a few years ago.

I'm surprised Colleen Clinkenbeard isn't on the list. I guess she doesn't get cast as much as she used to? She's another great talent that never disappoints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Seeing as Sentai is being brought up, let me contribute by saying I have never ever seen any of their dubs. I've never seen a sub either, but that's beside the point. Hopefully, Sentai can pull their act together now that Steven Foster is gone. Hopefully is the key word here.

I wouldn't put them on the same level as Funimation or Bang Zoom, but Sentai's dubs have improved over the last couple of years. They've put some good sounding stuff like Watamote or From the New World and not quite as many downright stinkers as there were when Foster was directing most of them. Since he's out of the picture now like you said, things should probably keep improving for the better and thankfully they have more full time ADR Directors now.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
There is a good distribution in the poll. I expected more people to click the 0 and 1-2 titles. The anime industry shifts toward online streaming and on demand titles. Although I guess Anime News Network wouldn't be the ideal source for general trends. Obviously the people who visit ANN have enough interest in anime to follow the news.

Not sure why so many people are blaming voice actors for dub issues. Is it the actor or the production and direction that chose the actor who (you think) doesn't fit well?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I'm surprised Colleen Clinkenbeard isn't on the list. I guess she doesn't get cast as much as she used to? She's another great talent that never disappoints.

she's directing more and she also went on maternity leave for bit this year
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

she's directing more and she also went on maternity leave for bit this year

Ah, I forgot she recently had a child.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5