• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Loses an Hour of Programming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
They could make up one half hour by starting at 11pm like in the past. They'll just lose 5-6am in the process.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Especially garbage like fat zero.

Except F/Z is a case of "aiming for the target demographic", the real issue is behind licensing costs.

{EDIT - Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
904thehero1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:
I don't care how popular a show was during its first broadcast run, reruns WILL have lower ratings.

There is absolutely no benefit to airing immediate reruns of anything unless your name is Family Guy or Futurama; and neither are anime.

Fans who were interested already tuned in the first time and that's assuming they haven't already bought it on DVD/Blu-ray, streamed it legally or downloaded it illegally.

Air brand new dubs or air popular dubs that never aired on TV or last aired at least 5 years ago from another (smaller) network.

*Basilisk (fulfills action/violence quota, previously aired on IFC)

*Fairy Tail (massive fanbase)

*Fate/Zero (has universal appeal)

*High School of the Dead (zombie fad isn't going away anytime soon)

*Jormungand (Black Lagoon's underrated sibling)

*Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (if fans like Martial Arts in DBZ there's a good chance they'll like Kenichi)

*Tiger & Bunny (the global box office says fans want more superhero content and T&B is a great superhero anime)

*Witchblade (established brand, previously aired on IFC)

I agree, although I know I could not stay up that late, since I get tired easily, but I would love to see Fairy Tail or Fate Zero on Toonami, I am surprised Fairy Tail is not on their since it is popular and would fit in well with the other series that they air
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
Do people who DVR get counted in the ratings? Or the people who watch it on demand

DVR is actually counted toward the ratings tally if it is watched within a week of the recording assuming you are using the box provided by cable/satellite provider.

That said, reruns hit rating hard.

I never really understood that. By all intents and purposes, you're tuned into the channel when the shows are airing. Regardless of if you're physically watching it or if you're recording it with a DVR.

How do they know the difference? And what about non-cable provided DVRs?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Especially garbage like fat zero.

Well, according to MAL and ANN ratings, MOST people that watch anime LOVE fate/zero ...so yeh. While overrated garbage like Kill la kill also have good ratings because they appeal to masses whose tastes have not be nurtured over the years.

I honestly think this is a non-issue. Most people are not even awake during this slot

{This is your second warning for Excessive Quoting. Next time you'll be put on moderation for a month. Please review this thread here. ~ Psycho 101}
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Well, according to MAL and ANN ratings, MOST people that watch anime LOVE fate/zero ...so yeh. While overrated garbage like Kill la kill also have good ratings because they appeal to masses whose tastes have not be nurtured over the years.

KLK appeals because it's creative and has a lot of kinetic energy. And I believe my tastes have been plenty nurtured over the decades I've been an anime viewer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I like fate/zero.

This actually makes a bit more sense to me. I've never been able to really watch that last hour of anime. From an advertising standpoint, it would make sense to have programming aimed at early birds, then the leftovers of the anime block.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I do agree with having Fairy Tail being put on this block because of it's popularity and length.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
To be honest im happy with this news as wrong as it sounds to people, because lets be honest toonami has been getting WAY to comfortable with reruns and this almost seems like a strike from the fans for them to make some huge changes to their programming. I mean come on, its been hell for months rewatching all these shows, and their just NOW getting Kill La Kill when it should have been in November after AOT finished its run. They need to premiere NEW dubs of Naruto and One Piece because dont expect them to run for the next 7 yrs just to catch up to todays episodes, until they make some serious shake ups, then this 1hr take away is what they get. Oh well, deal with it.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
lazydude500 wrote:
I don't care how popular a show was during it's first broadcast run, reruns WILL have lower ratings.

Air brand new dubs or air dubs that never aired on TV or last aired at least 5 years ago from another (smaller) network.

*Fairy Tail (massive fanbase)

Fairy Tail would be a good fit for Toonami. Since the first series has 175 episodes,it would take a few years to run through them all.

Quote:
*Fate/Zero (has universal appeal)

Too talky for the casuals.

Quote:
*High School of the Dead (zombie fad isn't going away anytime soon)

Toonami seems limit themselves to Viz, Aniplex and Funimation. Seems Adult Swim has a grudge against Sentai dating back to the ADV days.

I also think the ratings for Kill la Kill will dip once they see that the amount of fanservice it has.

I've been begging Toonami to show The Devil is a part-timer!! to break up some of the seriousness of some of these shows with a comedy show. It also doesn't help that they've been re-airing Attack on Titan for the past few months.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
will not air a new episode of Attack on Titan.

Isn't that kinda obvious?
Funimation hasn't publicly announced that they will dub the OVAs (not that Toonami would run any other OVA besides FLCL) and season two is coming out next year.

I wonder if the reason Sentai Filmworks anime hasn't been played on Toonami is due to broadcast restrictions from Japan. Could explain why they license at least five shows a year. Plus, I'm sure some people can get the Anime Network depending on the cable provider.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Why don't they just air older shows? They could get ratings that way.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
and their just NOW getting Kill La Kill when it should have been in November after AOT finished its run.

lack of a budget didn't allow then to do that.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Toonami seems limit themselves to Viz, Aniplex and Funimation. Seems Adult Swim has a grudge against Sentai dating back to the ADV days.

There is no grudge between ADV/Sentai and Adult Swim. That's just a silly internet rumor that got started as fanboys desperately tried to come up with some kind of explanation for why there aren't any Sentai shows on the block. But it's not true. This has been explicitly stated many, many times in the past by people associated with both AS and Sentai.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
Why don't they just air older shows? They could get ratings that way.

Older shows don't necessarily mean cheaper acquisitions. While age does affect the price somewhat, popularity is often the biggest determining factor.

As an example, Toonami has stated in the past that Outlaw Star would cost them just as much as, if not more than a brand new, fresh out-of-Japan show just because it's immensely popular and held in high-regard by a large sub-set of fans.

However, regardless of popularity, older shows and reruns tend to get lower ratings than newer shows because people have already seen or own them. In general, it just makes more business sense to prioritize fresher shows with higher ratings potential than old, potentially pricey favorites.

Although I'm sure if/when they have the extra money to spend, the folks at Adult Swim would love to re-air some popular classics every now and then. They just aren't likely to prioritize them over brand new shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5