• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures Acquire Live-Action Robotech Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Why even bother? Modern movie audiences don't care about sci-fi films that aren't Star Wars or Marvel and the name alone would drive off a large majority of anime fans. I don't particularly hate the series (Harmony Gold on the other hand can go die in a ditch for all I care), but it seems like Sony's just shooting themselves in the foot (again).

On a side note, if the movie does somehow get made they'd pretty much be limited to MOSPEADA/New Generation mechs since HG can't legally make new Robotech material using Macross characters or mechs.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Great, a movie that will appeal to the 12 people who actually care about Robotech!

Like it or not, there are people that have nostalgic memories of "Robotech," like the people who watched "Power Rangers" and "Voltron." Yes, to the weeaboos, they're bastardizations, but to the kids that watched them, it's what helped them get into anime/toku.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
like the people who watched "Power Rangers" and "Voltron."

Except that Power Rangers still Airs in one form or another and Voltron actually had a couple series runs within the past decade.

I honestly would rather see an attempted reboot of The Centurions than whatever Robotech plan is coming up.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
A Macross movie isn't that hard to make. Good singer, lots of robots and explosions, and someone really hot to play Milla. Give me two days with copies of Macross and Do you remember love and I will have you at least two movies worth of material.

This is going to be a disaster if it ever gets made.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Mash up Star Wars and Top Gun, then add in giant robots [which are in vogue right now]. Seems like a sure-fire winner to me.

Quote:
Why even bother? Modern movie audiences don't care about sci-fi films that aren't Star Wars or Marvel

It's only been 5 years since Avatar pulled down nearly $3 billion worldwide, and other recent human-v-alien scifi movies like Transformers, Pacific Rim, and Edge of Tomorrow have done fairly well worldwide.

Last edited by Great Rumbler on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Tatsunoko never had the right to license it to HG in the first place

I certainly don't condone the way Harmony Gold has handled the license in the past 20+ years, but this is wrong. Tatsunoko received non-Japanese film distribution and merchandising rights to the series from Big West in compensation for Tatsunoko's assistance on the series. They DO NOT, however, have intellectual property rights.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga: It's not the making it part that's difficult. What's difficult is releasing it in Asia when there's a still a rights dispute between the Japanese and HG. They probably have Macross trademarked in China, too.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
How are they going to do a Robotech movie without three unrelated live-action mecha movies to splice together?

Aw, and Macek has been gone for years, too. Who's going to pretend to be a storyteller now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
As I expected, nobody is talking about the topic, what potential this has (or doesn't have), and the thread is full of nothing but whining bitches complaining about something they've never entirely seen because it's not the direct adaptation of three shows that they also have never seen in their entirety, and all because they think it's the cool thing to do. It's also a shame to see people mocking the dead, whom they've probably never even cared to research, just putting the name in the basket with the other things they like to complain about to fit in.

On topic, I don't really have any hopes for it. There are many things that I'd like to see Harmony Gold USA do with the Robotech IP, but I've never really been a big fan of live action movies with CG mechs (I think it looks cheap; Pacific Rim just looked cheesy, which is a good step up, but even then . . . ). Hopefully HGUSA can wrangle enough money out of this contract with Sony to help create other properties expanding the Robotech franchise away from the original and, you know, create something new other than the novels.

Also, if all Sony is intending to do is a live action SDF Macross movie and call it Robotech, this may be something the Japanese licensor could somehow wrangle into getting the rights off of HGUSA with some sort of selective-reading of the companies' contract for the series.

Last edited by gravediggernalk on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Let it die already.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I really hope people are correct that this could end up in a court battle. Because it's not right Harmony Gold should benefit off Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada this way.

However, if they should announce that they will be reinventing Robotech and not using anything (ships, mechs, characters) from the original three works, then my opinions would change. But the way it is now, it's almost outright plagiarism in stealing from the original creators of those shows. What's worse, if a movie should be made, it's almost a guarantee that the Macross series would never see distribution in the US. More or less a real Macross movie being ever made.

So here's hope that the Japanese sue Harmony Gold once and for all and maybe by some miracle, the Macross license gets fixed in the process (on both ends).
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
How are they going to do a Robotech movie without three unrelated live-action mecha movies to splice together?

Aw, and Macek has been gone for years, too. Who's going to pretend to be a storyteller now?

Since it's a film adaptation, obviously it's going to be original footage. There's a good chance the mechs won't look 100% like the original.

Quote:
I really hope people are correct that this could end up in a court battle. Because it's not right Harmony Gold should benefit off Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada this way.

However, if they should announce that they will be reinventing Robotech and not using anything (ships, mechs, characters) from the original three works, then my opinions would change. But the way it is now, it's almost outright plagiarism in stealing from the original creators of those shows. What's worse, if a movie should be made, it's almost a guarantee that the Macross series would never see distribution in the US. More or less a real Macross movie being ever made.

So here's hope that the Japanese sue Harmony Gold once and for all and maybe by some miracle, the Macross license gets fixed in the process (on both ends).

It's not plagiarism if they're allowing this.
MattB1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
A Macross movie isn't that hard to make. Good singer, lots of robots and explosions, and someone really hot to play Milla. Give me two days with copies of Macross and Do you remember love and I will have you at least two movies worth of material.

Personally, I think Macross would work very well as a live action TV series. The longer episode time and multi-season format would allow for even greater character and plot development.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
Tatsunoko never had the right to license it to HG in the first place

I certainly don't condone the way Harmony Gold has handled the license in the past 20+ years, but this is wrong. Tatsunoko received non-Japanese film distribution and merchandising rights to the series from Big West in compensation for Tatsunoko's assistance on the series. They DO NOT, however, have intellectual property rights.

Ah, OK. I guess I misrembered what I read. Tatsunoko only has international distribution and merchandsing rights for the original Macross anime but not the others and as you said Big West and Studio Nue own the IP itself.

I kinda hope that Sony finds a way to buy out the Macross rights from Harmony Gold and then maybe some wrongs can finally be set right.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Looks like another case of "Anything can be done well, if it's just done right." With some extra fan expectations to overcome.

If they can get the financing, I say, more power to 'em. The world has gone nuts for remakes, so what's wrong with another one?

And here, I think it being technically based on Robotech, a heavily modified property to begin with, just gives the creators that much more leeway to modify it some more, therefore more creative freedom, therefore better odds. Maybe there will be some good music at least.

I doubt it's going to be worse than the last Captain Harlock remake. Rolling Eyes There was a movie re-made from an almost standardized set of factory parts, and that didn't help it much. I'll wait and see with this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6