• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
The first episode depicted the shutting down of a game really well. You want to blame the guild mates who left for not being serious and valuing the guild more, until you realize what they are doing is the more logical decision because they live in the real world. I think the premiere was done really well, and I will definitely be watching the rest of this.

Also, since Momonga is a skeleton, how would he... you know, take Albedo's first? I mean, she clearly wants the d.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
#2:

Momonga has concluded he's definitely in a new world which follows the same rules and parameters set in the online game he was recently a part of, so now he's thinking of conquering the world in hopes of reaching out to a fellow traveller from the human world. Interesting train of thought for world conquest.

Seeing the guardians argue amongst themselves for Momonga's affections is quite amusing when taking into consideration how they were merely NPCs in a game prior to the shift. Albedo's reaction to Mare getting one of the guild member's rings even frightened Momonga into giving her the same treatment for fear of arousing her jealous wrath.

Since it's a new world, next week will probably get round to introducing the other factions which occupy it. Being the evil overlord of a great tomb complex probably means Momonga has a big target sign painted on him(?) and his followers.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Hmm....I'm not sure what to think of this show at the moment. Part of it is amusing to watch because of the characters. In particular, I find Albedo and Shalltear's rivalry to be pretty funny.

However, the story is really slow paced right now. I think some other characters like the generals made a cameo. And Momonga in that shining armor was a refreshing sight to see. I hope the story moves a bit faster than this though considering that it's a 1 cour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Otaku wish fulfillment does not get any more wish fulfilling than this. Only two episodes in but my god this is shameless.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I for one, am really enjoying the show so far. I've accepted that the story is not exactly moving at breakneck speed but I think with the transportation to this new world, it's only right that we are as cautious as Momonga in moving forward.

Albedo and Shalltear are quite fun when they're at each others throats, but they don't half have some scary animation during these times.

I can tell straight away that the knight at the end was 'evil' just from looking at his menacing-looking nose, haha.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Momonga assessing the situation.
Those floor guardians sure like him beyond reason.
spoiler[Cat fight] was to be expected..
Their talk about spoiler[an heir] was kinda LOL
Momonga still confused about what's going on.
And so am I, can't decide to drop it or keep it..
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

Also, since Momonga is a skeleton, how would he... you know, take Albedo's first? I mean, she clearly wants the d.

Yeah, especially since he stated himself that his libido is gone. That kind of sucks. Here we have a perfect situation for an actual harem in anime--two adult women want to be the wives of the MC (who's also a grown up) to the point where they're agreeing to be sister wives, and everyone's supporting them because they want their master to have an heir. I would get a kick of a background domestic sitcom situation, but just seeing two women fight over a literally sexless male? That'll get boring real quick.
So why'd the author even write in that the two ladies lusting after the MC if the MC can't reciprocate? Isn't that more like Otaku-not-quite-wish-fulfillment?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get the impression that his loss of libido was a permanent thing, but rather that it seemed like there was some outside limiter that kept him from getting too carried away by it. Which I thought was interesting. That he was even able to grope her boob told him the 18+ filters were no longer in operation, but whatever has brought him here seems to have replaced them with something else, though less restrictive perhaps. So even though he doesn't find himself thinking about sex all the time when confronted by willing, horny demon babes, it might not mean he can't when the situation calls for him to.

I think what I'm really enjoying about this is the sort of Detroit Metal City vibe going on, with the protagonist playing the Demonic Evil Overlord to his "fans" while being a confused nice guy underneath the costume.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Confirmed from my thoughts of last episode, the character I like the most is Shalltear, entirely out of self preference, the gothic Lolita and even the scary face we see in the OP. Well I also like many parts of this show, all the guardians seem interesting. I was actually wondering that if the male looking twin looked like a boy, then the female looking twin... and yep that is the case.

So I am guessing that while Momonga is deciding to spend this time being defensive, some other guys are using the time to actually take over. I like the touches where the guardians describe their dark undead overlord master as kind, I am hoping we see some reverse of character traits where the dark side does not mean evil side. Their reasons in particular of liking him also seem to be in particular that he was not only a hand in the group that created them, but he stayed with them. Kind of made me think of something that was about the energy put in for game character, wait I think that was TWGOK, maybe I should rethink the statement.

Also, the guy has managed to keep his cool and play the role he should play to not cause unease in his new surrounding, despite what he was actually thinking. That is pretty cool to not rely on open bumbling to show his surprise at the situation.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 2: Pacing was kind of slow, and I think it would have been better to use less time to focus on the Guardians fawning over Momonga. Demiurge looks kind of suspicious from my point of view. If there's any chance one of the Guardians is disloyal to Momonga it would be him. It seems that perhaps Momonga will meet his first enemy next episode.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, everyone is so ridiculously in love with Momonga that it goes from boring to stupid to creepy, and then finally to unintentionally hilarious.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
The pace is nice because it's given time to develop elements like the ways in which the floor guardians reflect their respective creators. An interesting note there being the fact that Shalltear is in love with Momonga without any alterations to her original design being made.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh wow, everyone is so ridiculously in love with Momonga that it goes from boring to stupid to creepy, and then finally to unintentionally hilarious.

My thoughts exactly except for me it stayed in stupid and creepy. I'm dropping this one. dtm42's_amnesia_dropped.gif
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
^
Here you go:

Me, I'm gonna keep on watching Overlord because the plot has just started and I want to see where it goes. It might even turn out to be good, possibly. If it turns out to be badly-written then I too will be dropping this show.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't have an issue with his subjects being loyal to him. I mean, they were programmed that way, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22