• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dance with Devils

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
Where was evidence of Ritsuka having a brain in this episode? I sure as hell didn't see it. I don't know about everyone else, but if I go to school mid day to talk about my abducted mom, I'm fairly certain I'd start asking questions when a guy I've said all of 5 words to ever leads me to a big ass atrium with some creepy masquerade going on instead of, oh you know, the student council room we had always met at before?

This is all par for the course in reverse harem, but I was about to say she is one of the dumbest mains I had ever seen, far from finding her to have brains. Most of the time the leads in reverse harem are helpless more than stupid, but Ritsuka has actual family and friends trying to support her and she takes minimal effort to use them imo. Granted she has no friggin idea of what's going on so I do give some leeway there.

Have you seen a heroine actually learn about how things are messed up and still want to go with the crazy guy? Because that is how bad they get. Ritsuka really was not privy to what we know about that guy being quite untrustworthy. Hey, she continuously asked her main objective and trust point, slapped him when he got too close, and decided to follow neither guy and choose her own path after being screwed around.

Well my response during the episode was "dude, listen to what your brother said". But following what she actually had seen so far did not paint her actions too negatively.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

THANK YOU. I thought I was the only one going crazy with that weird shirt design. At first I thought it had blood splattered on it, but now it seems like that's how the shirt actually looks like. And that also appears to be Lindo's only shirt too. Every time I see it I get distracted tbh, the design is just so weird

Me too! I also thought blood at first, but then I decided that it looked more like he leaned against a...jungle gym? weird staircase railing? that was covered with wet red paint. Then I had to rewind and pay attention to what was going on instead of thinking about his shirt. Laughing I normally only get mildly irritated by anime characters who own one outfit, but this one is too much.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought those were just demonic sfx to lure her outside the gate (though had it been me, I'd have just looked out the window).

I'd have looked out the window too, but I guess that's why you and I aren't reverse harem heroines. Wink I didn't think about it being a distraction, but that makes sense. If anyone had the extra girlpower to stage a fake screaming incident, Urie's the guy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure which is worse. The brother apparently doesn't know his sister very well. He issues orders without explanation and clearly expects her to obey to the letter. I can understand that the family wants her to be "normal" but now that she is already involved the whole thing should be laid out so she can make intelligent decisions. Of course if he did explain everyone would be complaining about an info dump. Very Happy

The sister, having accepted her brother's demand that she not attend school also agrees without question to stay in the house. However, the first noise she hears has her out of the house and beyond his protective holy water in seconds. She then goes off with the guy from the student council with no second thoughts, no hesitation. This is almost like she either didn't hear what her brother said or was simply humoring him while he was present. At this point she is no better than any imperiled female. Not real bright.

I suspect the shirt is a Japanese interpretation of some of the more gaudy Christian regalia for either a priest, monk or holy knight. It looks almost as if it were painted on.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well my response during the episode was "dude, listen to what your brother said". But following what she actually had seen so far did not paint her actions too negatively.

I dunno, she's seen Rem burn people to dust (ok, I guess she had her eyes shut, but that also doesn't speak well for her intelligence - if people are fighting 5 feet from me and I'm blinded by headlights, I'd move to where I wasn't blinded so I could stay out the way of flying bodies Smile), emerge unscathed from an inferno, seen her ransacked and damaged house restored to perfection in less time than it took the police to arrive, and her mother charming her and her brother warding everything with holy water. It seems like she'd have tipped to the fact that something supernatural is going on, or at least a vast devil-wing conspiracy. If Lindo would just take 5 min to explain some things, she ought not to have too difficult a time believing him (or Urie, for that matter). She's not a complete idiot, but I don't think she's the sharpest tool in the box either.

On an unrelated note, I was sooo sure they were going to break into song while Rem was walking over to his chair after his dramatic entrance, I was kind of disappointed when they didn't. The music seemed to be setting it up, and their dialog was delivered with a cadence that was like spoken lyrics (the purple-haired guy even sang the end of his last line). At least this series isn't as blunt about the song inserts as Starmyu, which doesn't seem to grasp the techniques for using songs in a musical at all.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I too am unsure about her brain. Rem has information about your mom? Well use your freaking cell phone and call him! She shows smarts some times but other times turns into a TSTL (Too Stupid To Live) heroine.

I completely agree with the rest of the review. More songs needed! And a diagram of that shirt! Creepy carnival girls with shark smiles! The cut direct! I'm loving this.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
For the most part, LOVED episode 3! Urie is my type, so definitely enjoyed him being featured. My only compliant was that his song was pretty awful. The lyric and animation and whatnot were fine, but the actual song itself was just...meh. Oh well Razz
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
This episode also served to introduce the blue-haired boy's penchant for trickery and illusions, although everything else about him beyond his connection to the student council remains a mystery.

Next week's episode reference to B-Boy refers to breakdancing. B-Boy was the original name coined for the dance when first developed in New York City; breakdance is the more mainstream term.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is stepping into creepy territory and I'm not pleased at all. It's only episode four and one of the bishonens is already locking her up in a cage? Amnesia waited for episode like 8 to pull that one. It's also frustrating that she refuses to believe Rem is a bad guy after he saw 7 of him trying to kill her. Not three days ago she was super wary of the council guys but now she trusts Rem through and through? I was very hopeful about Ritsuka because she had a lot of spunk in ep1, but that seems to have disappeared completely from her personality.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It's also frustrating that she refuses to believe Rem is a bad guy after he saw 7 of him trying to kill her.

Technically, the unnamed blue-haired boy tried to kill Ritsuka from afar with his 7 illusions. Rem was doing his own work in the student council office.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
It's also frustrating that she refuses to believe Rem is a bad guy after he saw 7 of him trying to kill her.

Technically, the unnamed blue-haired boy tried to kill Ritsuka from afar with his 7 illusions. Rem was doing his own work in the student council office.

But she doesn't know that. All she knows is that some Rem zombies attacked her and that Rem is a demon, everything points at him being untrustworthy but after knowing him for two days she's ready to say she can't possibly believe he's evil, that's really dumb
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely leaning towards CrowLia's point of view on this one - she's trusting Rem too much, too fast.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else think that Blue Boy can turn into the pomeranian? I haven't mentioned it in the reviews because I'm really not sure...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
^I'm pretty sure the Blue Boy is the pomeranian, the opening is pointing at that fairly obviously
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
I'm normally not really the target audience for shows about too-dumb-for-their-own-good heroines being courted by creepy bishounen or...uh..."loving" big brothers or musicals, but the combination of it all has been strangely entertaining so far.

I still actually enjoy Starmyu more for all its cheap silliness (yeah, i know, i'm probably the only one...), but this has been more fun than expected.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
^Definitely not alone, STARMYU is completely glorious in its terribad cheesiness and there are no heroines getting locked up by potential love interests :'D
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I can't quite equate what Lindo did with the creeper in Amnesia though. It's more like protective custody, since she's not shown particularly good judgement to date, as has been pointed out, even when people clue her in on what's going on. If she's the key to the Big Magic Book of World Domination, and she won't take any steps to protect herself, then I think he has a responsibility to do what he can to keep the demons away from her and vice versa.

A tiny animal cage where the occupant is entirely dependent on the captor for everything and is completely at his mercy is very different from your own home where you can move around and eat and do whatever when you want, and the motivations of the two jailors is also very different. Naturally no one likes to be told they can't leave the house, but parents ground their stupid kids all the time, and she's been behaving stupidly. Had she been behaving intelligently and shown some sense about her own safety while trying to investigate and he still treated her as a helpless object to protect, I'd feel differently, though I still wouldn't put it on Amnesia levels of creepy.

The incest angle is creepy, I'll give you that, but we all know it's going to turn out that he's not really her brother. Most likely her cousin. Still blech.

It seems like she has some powers of her own though, so I'm hoping something will happen on that front so that she doesn't have to be rescued all the time.

Definitely, Starboys is more fun and palatable all around, but this is still interesting, if frustrating at times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8