• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta TV Series to Premiere in Spring With Lagrange, Kaleido Star Composers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
First, yeah. I haven't watched the preview episode, which I think almost nobody has done (unless they uploaded it to CR or Daisuki, have they done that?). I've seen the PV videos, read the description, the promotional material. Nothing in there says otherwise.
So there are TWO idols' group (for boys! and girls!*), with and I quote,
Quote:
the first major songstress group in the Macross anime franchise
. With their own (cutely decored) Valkiries, to boot.

Yeah, maybe the two groups will remain in a background place and let Immelman hog all the action. But I doubt it.

* this one don't sing... yet.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Macross was, I believe(?), the first anime to use 2D idols..

I think it was Sasurai no Taiyō from 1971.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching this off of a torrent. I'm definitely NOT impressed at all with the preview first episode.

This Macross series is falling under the same AKB48 marketing model garbage that Japan otaku pervs have been buying into for years. It's really a pathetic state that Macross is in if they need to lean on that to sell a series.

Even though the previous series Macross Frontier had it's moments of silliness and being over the top, there was at least a hint of something meaningful and realistic about the love triangle that was going on.

I'm sure this series will do well, but it's just definitely not for me.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
bumbayker wrote:
kgw wrote:
Soooo... this a Love Live! meets Macross? *sigh*
Passing on...

Actually no. If you bother to watch the episode you'll realize its not.

Yeah basically it's AKB48 meets Macross which is a horrible combination. Oh well, there's always the next series...
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
sirom84 wrote:
I'm a huge macross fan, I love all macross series, even macross 7. But for some reason this latest instalment does not look very appealing to me. I actually hopped that they will finally make a continuation of original 1982 story about Hikaru, Lisa and Minmay. But we a getting a new story with, so far, terrible 3D and without Yoko Kano. And setting with resembles cross b/n Love Live and Uta no Prince-sama.

But I hope that I'm wrong and the series will actually be great

I seriously doubt they will ever go and touch the old series again. Each Macross series might have the odd character or maybe someone who's related to a previous character. But a full on sequel, I doubt very much we'll ever see that.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
First, yeah. I haven't watched the preview episode, which I think almost nobody has done (unless they uploaded it to CR or Daisuki, have they done that?). I've seen the PV videos, read the description, the promotional material. Nothing in there says otherwise.
So there are TWO idols' group (for boys! and girls!*), with and I quote,
Quote:
the first major songstress group in the Macross anime franchise
. With their own (cutely decored) Valkiries, to boot.

Yeah, maybe the two groups will remain in a background place and let Immelman hog all the action. But I doubt it.

* this one don't sing... yet.

T
Its already up on the internet, so I don't that number is that low among Macross fans.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
sirom84 wrote:
I'm a huge macross fan, I love all macross series, even macross 7. But for some reason this latest instalment does not look very appealing to me. I actually hopped that they will finally make a continuation of original 1982 story about Hikaru, Lisa and Minmay. But we a getting a new story with, so far, terrible 3D and without Yoko Kano. And setting with resembles cross b/n Love Live and Uta no Prince-sama.

I seriously doubt they will ever go and touch the old series again. Each Macross series might have the odd character or maybe someone who's related to a previous character. But a full on sequel, I doubt very much we'll ever see that.

there's also the fact that,according to supplementary materials, Hikaru,Misa and Minmay have disappeared while travelling the galaxy (which was both Hikaru and Misa's honeymoon trip and Minmay's tour. ) and no one has ever heard about their status again.Supposedly nothing bad happened to them,it's just that they may have gone way too further in the galaxy.
I don't think they will want to change the canon just like that so they could shove the classic characters in a new anime.

Considering I'm huge Macross fan,I'm looking forward this new entry,but thanks to Harmony Gold,once again we won't be allowed to support this new anime.
Man,fudge Harmony Gold.Just die already and let us enjoy Macross...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I'll be watching the episode later, but I hope the show remembers that not only idols and music make Macross, but also space and transforming mecha. I'm fine with the overabundance of cutesy idols (Ranka was enough, and I'd prefer more like Sheryl), but it can't be the only thing they push. And With no Yoko Kanno I'm not sure if the score and incidental music, which were amazing in Frontier, will hold up here.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:
sirom84 wrote:

there's also the fact that,according to supplementary materials, Hikaru,Misa and Minmay have disappeared while travelling the galaxy (which was both Hikaru and Misa's honeymoon trip and Minmay's tour. ) and no one has ever heard about their status again.Supposedly nothing bad happened to them,it's just that they may have gone way too further in the galaxy.
I don't think they will want to change the canon just like that so they could shove the classic characters in a new anime.

Considering I'm huge Macross fan,I'm looking forward this new entry,but thanks to Harmony Gold,once again we won't be allowed to support this new anime.
Man,fudge Harmony Gold.Just die already and let us enjoy Macross...

If a game comes out based on this I'll import it (if not I hope Makina gets a figure or her VF gets a model kit) and you may also want to consider importing at least merchandise, don't let the tyrants at Harmony Gold make you not want to support the anime.
bumbayker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
bumbayker wrote:
kgw wrote:
Passing on...

Yeah basically it's AKB48 meets Macross which is a horrible combination. Oh well, there's always the next series...

Not even close. You're quick to dismiss Delta just because it doesn't tickle your fancy since it provides a new and different direction compared to what previous Macross series usually delivers. It attempts to break away from some of the franchise's known conventions yet still retaining its identity as Macross.

There isn't a problem with idol singers riding into battle when their level of technology can handle it and knowing how crazy Macross can sometimes become. Its really no different from Basara flying into combat with just his guitar and unarmed Valkyrie. I honestly don't see your point (if there even was one) that Frontier having "a hint of something meaningful and realistic" compared to Delta when Frontier also had similar levels of fantasy and ridiculousness.

I'm not trying to convince you to like Delta but know that a renown and decades spanning anime franchise such as Macross has to continue to evolve and cater to the current generation in order to survive else face stagnation and obscurity.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is some hot garbage. Talk about taking an aesthetic too far. From the terrible CG to the hardcore pandering, it's like they've dropped all pretenses of this being a Macross show and have gone full "idol superheroes" like other shows. Stop hurting yourself, Macross franchise. We're worried about you. Come home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, this is some hot garbage. Talk about taking an aesthetic too far. From the terrible CG to the hardcore pandering, it's like they've dropped all pretenses of this being a Macross show and have gone full "idol superheroes" like other shows. Stop hurting yourself, Macross franchise. We're worried about you. Come home.

Macross went off the deep end after Macross II more than 20 years ago. Kawamori is a hack. He might be a genius mecha designer (praise where it's due), but he's the George Lucas of anime when it comes to storytelling. Macross simply has no future in his hands as a science fiction epic. And this new Delta does nothing but confirm it. At this point in time Macross is used to sell airplanes, loli figures and music cd's. The story went out the window ages ago.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I gotta disagree there, I'm a big fan of Zero and Frontier. I thought Frontier in particular did an amazing job of threading the needle between scifi action and music idols. I hold out hope for Delta to suprise me, but I fear the needle is going to swing to far toward 7 this go around.

And the CGI/2D integration in the trails is.... Kinda real bad. This is 2015, this should be old hat by now.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
bumbayker wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:
bumbayker wrote:
kgw wrote:
Passing on...

Not even close. You're quick to dismiss Delta just because it doesn't tickle your fancy since it provides a new and different direction compared to what previous Macross series usually delivers. It attempts to break away from some of the franchise's known conventions yet still retaining its identity as Macross.

There isn't a problem with idol singers riding into battle when their level of technology can handle it and knowing how crazy Macross can sometimes become. Its really no different from Basara flying into combat with just his guitar and unarmed Valkyrie. I honestly don't see your point (if there even was one) that Frontier having "a hint of something meaningful and realistic" compared to Delta when Frontier also had similar levels of fantasy and ridiculousness.

I'm not trying to convince you to like Delta but know that a renown and decades spanning anime franchise such as Macross has to continue to evolve and cater to the current generation in order to survive else face stagnation and obscurity.

With Macross 7, Basara going into battle just to sing was quite ridiculous. I honestly felt him doing that seemed far too forced. I agree with you that all Macross's series have similar levels of fantasy and ridiculousness... but from what I've seen so far with Delta, it just takes it to another level. The whole AKB48 idol crap is a formula that should die a horrible death in Japan. Perhaps it's because I have access to live Japanese TV on a daily basis, and seeing AKB48 over and over and over again on variety shows and other programs makes me fed up with anything relating to that genre.

In regards to my comment about Frontier having a hint of realism in terms of a relationship going, between Alto, Sheryl and Ranka, it's because they didn't follow a typical Japanese anime relationship formula between the 3 of them. The writers actually put some thought and believable reactions on how each character would handle the situation they were in. It's still nowhere near as good as the writing in Macross Plus, but it wasn't half bad.
SayuriUliana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
I really don't get people complaining about the CGI in what's essentially a non-finished preview episode (hence they gave it the numbering "0.89").

Besides, the CGI as it currently is no worse than Frontier TV's, so don't really see much of a problem. (Then again, I'm one of those who doesn't judge by the quality of CG, given that I like stuff like Vandread).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4