• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: The Past, Present and Future of Dragon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
My problem with Super is definitely the off-model/poorly animation, which can be a pretty big deal in a visual medium, especially in vital moments in the narrative or battles that could have had a bigger impact. But storywise, aside from the new movie retreads (and I enjoy some of that, actually), I have been enjoying the new material and where they're taking the characters. The alternate universes are working well for the show.

My problem with the Buu arc of Kai was that they barely cut out any of the filler, and clearly kept as much as they could so they can sell more discs. It was hardly "Kai-ified". I imagine I would only buy a couple volumes to support Funimation's better recent English dubbing efforts for the franchise.

I really enjoyed Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and how the world of Dragon Ball is expanding with the inclusion of Beerus, Whis, and so forth. It's gotten me into the theater to see anime again, which I appreciate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nozarashi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
So why is Toei one of the only large studios that suffers from this kind of animation? You would think that with DBS, One Piece, and Sailor Moon Crystal they would have the budget to hire talented animators and not some "newbies". Either way this interview came off as very pretentious. They acted as if they were being criticized for no reason.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
I hope we get Dragonball Super before a new movie is announced since you would most likely had to have watch Super in order to enjoy the new movie but unfortunately that probably won't be the case. Confused
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
I haven't noticed anything wrong with DB Super's animation, but I've been watching anime since the early 90s, so this is no better or worse than what I'm used to. Well-animated shows are special treats; not something I'd ever expect as standard--and certainly not something sustainable over a lot of episodes. I'm here mainly for the characters and story anyway. Cool animation is just gravy.

I'm really enjoying Super since it got out of its BotG remake period. Its version of Frieza's return was a vast improvement on the movie, and the expansion of the mythology going on now has me interested and amused.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you think the Japanese industry is producing anime beyond its means?

Hayashida: Yes, this is a real dilemma.

Well, not exactly. YOU are producing anime beyond YOUR means.

How many, currently ? One Piece, Mahôtsukai Precure, Dragon Ball Super, World Trigger, next season of Sailor Moon Crystal, and movies.

Speaking about Toei, this way to hide behind the japanese animation crisis when someone dare to criticize them is absolutely fantastic. Because... they undergo it, without trying to adapt themselves by reducing the number of their projects.

Quote:
... the time for post-production has been reduced more and more to an unsustainable level.

Again, because you're working on too many projects, guys. And that's why young animators cannot be mentored by the animation supervisors.

So please, stop the "I don't understand, we don't deserve it, there are good animators". Just don't bite off more than you can chew.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:
Quote:

No, the entire Japanese animation industry is producing anime beyond it's means. Across the whole industry, animators are being overworked until they are hospitalized, literally living at the animation studio for weeks.
Toei are producing anime beyond it's means to a greater extent than most other studios, but it's still an industry-wide issue overall.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:

But then how are they going to get all defensive when people are looking for quality

People watch the DragonBall animes for that?.......could've fooled me.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap they blamed new animators for it looking bad? Disgraceful. It's obvious that the problem is the people in charge. If the higher-ups cared then they would give the animators and everyone else the time they need to create quality animation. Instead it's the underpaid, new animators getting blamed. Dragon Ball is a successful franchise. They can afford to spend more time working on it.

The long-running nature of the show isn't a great excuse either. The show hasn't even been out a year and it already has a bunch of crappy looking moments. Maybe this is an unfair comparison, but Hunter X Hunter ran for over three years and looked great doing it. Dragon Ball Super couldn't even go a few months.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I haven't noticed anything wrong with DB Super's animation, but I've been watching anime since the early 90s, so this is no better or worse than what I'm used to. Well-animated shows are special treats; not something I'd ever expect as standard--and certainly not something sustainable over a lot of episodes. I'm here mainly for the characters and story anyway. Cool animation is just gravy.

I'm really enjoying Super since it got out of its BotG remake period. Its version of Frieza's return was a vast improvement on the movie, and the expansion of the mythology going on now has me interested and amused.
I second this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
Dragon Ball is a successful franchise. They can afford to spend more time working on it.

I think it's rather they think they can afford not to. They're trusting in the big name to draw the audience so they can scrimp on the quality. The same is true of the Sailor Moon remake.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:
Quote:

AutoOps007 wrote:

No, the entire Japanese animation industry is producing anime beyond it's means. Across the whole industry, animators are being overworked until they are hospitalized, literally living at the animation studio for weeks.
Toei are producing anime beyond it's means to a greater extent than most other studios, but it's still an industry-wide issue overall.

In reality is just the other studios that overwork their animators until hospitalization and pay them really badly. Toei doesn't do that because they are unionized!
They pay overtime, their contracts money is controlled(Toei is the 5th best Japanese paying company in all of the film industry!), they provide their employee retirement benefits and bonuses, pension and social insurance programs. And to add to that, they are forced by the union to treat all of the freelancers they have a contract with as any other employee from payment(basic salary system instead of piecework pay system) to benefits.
In general their working conditions are enforced to be good.

@Hayashida Toei animation is doing right now:
TV Anime
Airing(5 series) - One Piece, Dragon Ball Super, Mahou Tsukai Precure, World Trigger, Kindaichi Case Files
Airing Next Season(1 series) - Sailor Moon Crystal 2nd season
Airing near Future(2 series) - ,Kado: Correct Answer for..., Temple

Movies
Near Future(8 movies)- 2 Precure Movies, One Piece Movie and 2 yearly Movie specials(Episode and Adventure of ...), Digimon Tri 2 and 3, Popin Q

So 8 Series and 8 Movies, and that is only the things we know that are coming.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
Hm, I wonder how teaming up with Netflix will change this? Didn't netflix say they wanted to try and make their own anime? If that's true it could mean that everyone working on the project could have as much time as they like.

I would have three words for Netflix on that idea. DONT DO IT!!!

cartoon network learned that lesson the hard way when they released IGPX. while it definitely wasn't bad at the least. its definitely leave something to be desired and it got ruined with season 2.

like it or not, if a US company like CN gets involved in an anime production or becomes a member of the production committee, the otaku community tends to avoid those said series like the plague which is was the case for IGPX.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:
"The criticism we've received has been way too overblown."

"Way too overblown"!?

He openly admits to employing new talent on a veteran franchise and that their timetable is completely screwed up because of the system they're using. It doesn't sound overblown, it sounds entirely justified. Because he justified it. In the interview.

I didn't realized you posted on here, I love your work!

I can see where he is coming from, but it's still unacceptable for an anime to look like what super does in it's worst moments, they even aired an episode unfinished!(Ok I guess Toei are not the only ones guilty of this)

I hope Super improves visually, at least a little bit, because the new material has been good so far, it just needs to look better.

Both of the movies look fantastic, and I don't expect the show to look like that, but I wish it looked like it did during the tv version of the later half of the battle with Beerus more often, because that part actually looked great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
DB never had tolerable animation, art or character design. It always had stiff animation. Even Fate Zero S2 had better visuals and animation than Resurrection Freeza and that was the cheaper, RUSHED part of a TV show.

DBS is continuing the mediocrity that is shonen anime.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
I understand the complaints about DBS' animation, but I think that's precisely why we haven't gotten it officially over here yet. Toei's DBS staff is stuck with that annoying Japanese production system, which results in less-than-ideal on-air episodes, but it's obvious that the worst parts of the animation will be fixed for the home video release... Which is the version that will be put out in areas like Europe & the Americas.

Let's face it, as much as people complain, by the time we finally get Super officially we won't be hearing the complaints anywhere near as much because the animation will be fixed by then (read: not massively improved to the point where it looks completely different in execution, but the litany of error-filled scenes will feature redone animation). It's similar to Sailor Moon Crystal, which I've read does look notably better in its home video version (which is the version that got aired on Japanese TV, since it was originally an ONA), with the only difference being that we were given the original ONA version. The same can be said of Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold, too, but that show wasn't anywhere near as rough, animation-wise, as SMC to start with.

Whether that's an acceptable way of operating a business & making a TV anime is up to debate, but that's at least an explanation as to where I stand on this subject.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3