• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kiss Him, Not Me Shōjo Romantic Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Get bedridden with grief over a fictional character, don't eat for a week, become drop dead gorgeous and a total magnet for hot guys, tell guys you'd rather see them bang each other instead.

Umm . . . okaaaaaaaaaay.

I see this story only uses the finest logic known to modern science . . .

. . . nah, I'm just messing with ya. The plot sounds fun. Totally gonna check out a few episodes once the anime airs.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I was talking more in terms of, you know, romantic shojo manga like the one this news article is about. Besides, was there a prominent same-sex relationship in Gangsta? Apart from Connie and her guy was there any prominent romantic relationship?

Gina Paulklee and Ginger are seemingly lovers.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Riiight, totally forgot about it, maybe because they're tertiary characters at best and only have a couple of minutes of screentime throughout the entire show :/ Like I said, I mean it in the sense that it'd be nice to have a romantic drama/comedy anime featuring both same-sex and het couples instead of the currently existing rift between shojo manga which only features heterosexual couples and BL manga which only features same-sex couples.

@Restlessone: Damn, that doesn't sound very promising. I do like Junko's mangas -the ones I've read so far at least, so I'll give this one a chance, but I really hope that character isn't portrayedspoiler[ as a scary anime lesbian predator]
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

@Restlessone: Damn, that doesn't sound very promising. I do like Junko's mangas -the ones I've read so far at least, so I'll give this one a chance, but I really hope that character isn't portrayedspoiler[ as a scary anime lesbian predator]

Luckily, from what I saw, this character didn't seem to fall into that stereotype. I wouldn't say it was a terrible portrayal, just that it fit a template. Left me wanting something more out of the character.

Someone who keeps up with the manga might better be able to explain, though. Maybe better things happen down the line.

Last edited by RestLessone on Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Riiight, totally forgot about it, maybe because they're tertiary characters at best and only have a couple of minutes of screentime throughout the entire show :/ Like I said, I mean it in the sense that it'd be nice to have a romantic drama/comedy anime featuring both same-sex and het couples instead of the currently existing rift between shojo manga which only features heterosexual couples and BL manga which only features same-sex couples.

You know you could've just clicked the "Reply with Quote" if you wanted to comment back. I almost didn't think you were talking to me. Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
^It's hardly necessary to use the "quote" feature when you're replying to the post directly above yours. It also makes the forums look less cluttered. I try to avoid it unless there are very specific portions I want to highlight
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote

x10! I've been WAITING for this since it was recently licensed and posted on ANN.com.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
It'd be nice if, they showcased a same-sex couple, at least as secondary characters, to have both same-sex and het couples coexisting, you know, like it happens in real life. Pretty much never gonna happen in a shojo manga, but a girl can dream.

spoiler[Maora and Maguri] from The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross by Tanemura Arina.
lebrel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^Please do give some examples. None of the ones that have been made into anime in recent memory (or that I've watched) have such component, except Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura

Oh, sorry; you said "manga" and I didn't realize you were specifically talking about ones that had been adapted to anime. So yeah, I got nothing that's particularly recent. But there's only a couple of shoujo anime every year, vs thousands of shoujo manga published annually in Japan, so anime's almost inevitably less diverse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2