• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Advance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:

"The usual Evangelion dub problems", huh? Well, they can't exactly be considered "problems" if you preferred those voices, can they? I waited this long for FUNi's release specifically because I wanted to watch this film in English and hear those voices again. So yeah, that statement kinda irritates me.

It doesn't bother you that Spike Spencer turns the character in your avatar into an outlandish parody that misses all the subtleties of the character?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

"The usual Evangelion dub problems", huh? Well, they can't exactly be considered "problems" if you preferred those voices, can they? I waited this long for FUNi's release specifically because I wanted to watch this film in English and hear those voices again. So yeah, that statement kinda irritates me.

It doesn't bother you that Spike Spencer turns the character in your avatar into an outlandish parody that misses all the subtleties of the character?

I saw Eva for the first time pretty recently and, outside of the first few episodes of NGE, I think the voice cast was fine. Spike Spencer's Shinji was a little annoying at first, but I think he got a lot better over time, especially in the rebuilds. I also thought that Kaworu and Shinji's relationship was done better in this movie than the series. There it felt rushed and really needed at least one or two more episodes to establish anything between them. Pacing it out and making it feel like a real bond was one of the few things 3.0 did right and more or less saved the movie for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
So wait...Anno has Rei go all blank-slate yet again? Watching her actually develop as something more than a dull robot, and seeing Shinji in turn pursue enough of a relationship with her that he wound up taking a massive level in Badass(TM) in order to save her, was easily the highlight of 2.22 as far as I'm concerned. But I guess we might as well toss all of that out for more sodding daddy angst and is-he-actually-nah-probably-not funtimes with Kaworu, because lord knows everyone loved that the first time around! Though I guess it's for the best, since I was almost starting to like Shinji, and I wouldn't want that.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

See, I don't feel that way at all. Shinji Ikari is one of my favorite characters in anime, and Spike Spencer only made the character feel more relatable. I'm not missing any subtleties, I'm GAINING a more well-rounded character. And I can say the same for Tiffany Grant and Allison Keith as well.
For example: Spike Spencer was probably at his best in 2.0, because he was able to really let loose in those final moments. Shinji's character had become more confident, and that point was made much clearer in Spike's performance. At least to me.
Andre Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the lack of translated credits was a bit disheartening, but overall, the movie was a mixed bag. For one, it has the weakest Evangelion story I've seen in the franchise (and before anyone asks, YES I've seen the original series, End of Evangelion, AND I've read all of the manga), it's trying to tell a message that has already been said and better elsewhere, and it seems to lack the soul of the original. On the other hand, it has some truly gorgeous animation, amazing mech designs, the best soundtrack out of any EVA property yet, and a solid dub. In fact, the dub actually managed to change my opinion of 3.0 from my least favorite EVA property to a just-barley-decent EVA property. Plus, Mari's line in the dub where freaking golden!
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Magic User's Club still gets an A rating from me. It's still a very funny and entertaining magical girls and boys series.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Andre Andrews wrote:
In fact, the dub actually managed to change my opinion of 3.0 from my least favorite EVA property to a just-barley-decent EVA property. Plus, Mari's line in the dub where freaking golden!

Same here. I felt the dub for 3.0 added a bit more life to, in my opinion, a pretty lifeless film. And I get that the film feeling lifeless was probably the point, but knowing that doesn't help me to enjoy the film any. So the dub helped.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Spike makes Shinji tolerable to hear. He screeches like a little girl in Japanese and it's grating on my ears (I know he's voiced by a woman originally, but that doesn't mean it makes him bearable to listen to in the original audio).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Spike makes Shinji tolerable to hear. He screeches like a little girl in Japanese and it's grating on my ears (I know he's voiced by a woman originally, but that doesn't mean it makes him bearable to listen to in the original audio).

Megumi Ogata makes Shinji sound like a vulnerable, meek youth, with varied layers of sensitivity and self-loathing. Spencer makes him sound like a whiny, obnoxious little stereotype coward, a flat, one-dimensional straw man for disaffected "wussy boys". He may as well sound like Milhouse van Houten.

Just the same, Tiffany Grant is a completely blunt, oversimplified black-and-white "bitchy girl" as Asuka. No subtleties whatsoever.

It's voice actors like these that marred many anime titles when ADV dubbed them. Allison Keith isn't super competent, either. Funimation should have done us a favor and replaced the whole cast. It's amazing anyone wanted them back.

But as I said, the dub is the least of this movie's issues. It's about nothing and it adds nothing to the series. To the contrary, it derails the momentum the first two movies built.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
I found 3.33 better than 1.11 but definitely not as good as 2.22 which is where the rebuild series so far peaked 4.44 is going to have to blow me out of the water after watching 3.33. Confused
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

She's referring to Kaworu x Shinji. She has a bigger interest in LGBT stuff than most people. If it's remotely there, she'll talk about it. Personally, I thought it was much less romantic, and much more an indication of how broken Shinji is. Not that him having a gay relationship makes him broken, but just how badly he needs acceptance. To the point that any sort of affection anyone shows him is welcomed. For what it's worth, Kaworu seemed like a pretty nice guy. Laughing

Remotely there? I don't think one had to have an interest in LGBT stuff (not really comfortable with this wording) to see the romantic feelings in their relationship. Sure, he's broken and longs for acceptance, but Kaworu is hardly "anyone" to him.

Anyhow, not a big fan of the rebuild movies, but the third one was definitely where things at least got interesting, after the utterly boring, if pretty to look at, second one.
I'm still curious to see where the forth one will take things from here, but by the time it gets out, I'll probably have to rewatch the first three movies, which I'm surprisingly little enthusiastic about, given my love for the original TV series.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Megumi Ogata makes Shinji sound like a vulnerable, meek youth, with varied layers of sensitivity and self-loathing. Spencer makes him sound like a whiny, obnoxious little stereotype coward, a flat, one-dimensional straw man for disaffected "wussy boys". He may as well sound like Milhouse van Houten.

Just the same, Tiffany Grant is a completely blunt, oversimplified black-and-white "bitchy girl" as Asuka. No subtleties whatsoever.

It's voice actors like these that marred many anime titles when ADV dubbed them. Allison Keith isn't super competent, either. Funimation should have done us a favor and replaced the whole cast. It's amazing anyone wanted them back.

But as I said, the dub is the least of this movie's issues. It's about nothing and it adds nothing to the series. To the contrary, it derails the momentum the first two movies built.

Actually, Spike is superior to Ogata as Shinji. He fits his body appearance much better. Also, Asuka in Japanese is overwhelmingly more annoying. That's a fact. Grant is "bland", but Miyamura is grating. Misato is great in Japanese and decent in English.

The Japanese version of Evangelion may be more critiqued than other Japanese language anime, but people from EVAGEEKS and people like you overstate its quality and derrife dubs just for being dubs. Not you in particular, but many EVAGEEKS posters are general dub haters, so I don't regard their opinions in high regard.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:

Remotely there? I don't think one had to have an interest in LGBT stuff (not really comfortable with this wording) to see the romantic feelings in their relationship. Sure, he's broken and longs for acceptance, but Kaworu is hardly "anyone" to him.

Is there something offensive about my wording?
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:29 am Reply with quote
No, not offensive, but it sounded like Gabriella was projecting her own agenda into the movie, actively looking for something that most viewers might not have seen there, which I don't think is true. My problem was probably with the "LGBT stuff in response to the "yaoi thing" which seemed to degrade the Shinji-Kaworu relationship to something less genuine than other relationships in Evangelion.

20 years later, and this franchise is still as polarizing as ever, much to Anno's delight, I suppose.

Completely with penguintruth on account of the voice acting.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Funimation should have done us a favor and replaced the whole cast. It's amazing anyone wanted them back.

Well, a lot of us don't feel the same way you do. Sorry, I guess Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4