• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - #2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I like it. The pacing is good, and the setup is interesting. The one knock I'd give is that the wings are a bit much for me, and Vice is a maybe bit too man-servicey. Curious to see where it goes!

I dunno, I actually thought Vice looked a little bit more like a bland harem lead character to me (would be funny if That's The Joke). I felt the girls have much cuter hair/costumes.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
This isn't *bad* so far, but the jokes seriously need work. Having your characters reference common anime fandom memes isn't particularly funny. DanMachi is so irrelevant that even making that joke was irrelevant. The AoT vs Kabaneri thing was supposed to be a joke I think but it felt more like it was just "it's okay, guys, we promise this is anime related, see!". Actually, same with the DanMachi joke, for that matter. If referencing popular anime-related topics is going to be a thing, I hope you manage to do it more smoothly in the future.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
feuerwerke wrote:
This isn't *bad* so far, but the jokes seriously need work. Having your characters reference common anime fandom memes isn't particularly funny. DanMachi is so irrelevant that even making that joke was irrelevant. The AoT vs Kabaneri thing was supposed to be a joke I think but it felt more like it was just "it's okay, guys, we promise this is anime related, see!". Actually, same with the DanMachi joke, for that matter. If referencing popular anime-related topics is going to be a thing, I hope you manage to do it more smoothly in the future.

Gee, how did you get away with that? I said I didn't like it and the post was immediately removed. Really not happy with the way things are run around here. May as well move on to somewhere more accepting.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
Your post is still there, sitting at the top of the thread for the first one. What was removed from it was your attempt to make it look like you'd been banned for saying you didn't like the strip.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
I really liked the first page, the first drawing of the fairy is very pretty and I'm all down for "everything you know is actually fairies".It's a fun concept. It seems to me some people are taking it way too seriously, it's not like you're trying to make a Naoki Urasawa masterpiece or something. I do however feel it was too soon to rush into the introduction of the mascot character, would've been nice to get to know the main two a little better. I guess I'm in the minority that never really got into ANNina, but I'm interested in seeing where this one will go
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
This seems like it might be a fun read! Yeah, things are a bit rushed right now, but I tend to feel that most introduction chapters are. I love Nina, but I hope I'll eventually love this comic as well.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Your post is still there, sitting at the top of the thread for the first one. What was removed from it was your attempt to make it look like you'd been banned for saying you didn't like the strip.

I think the fact that each page gets its own forum thread might confuse some people. I know I did a double take when I noticed the second page (when I noticed there was a second page -- at first, I thought only the first page was out at that moment) had completely different forum posts.

I have two requests, one of which is sorta related to this.

1. As far as forum threads go, would it be possible to have each of your story arcs have its own thread instead of every single page? You mentioned that this first one would run for three pages, and I'm guessing we'll be getting mini arcs of around 1-3 pages, perhaps, if not more? I'm curious, because unlike Anime News Nina, this one seems like it might end up having longer individual stories. Of course, I realize that this might be a lot of work, possibly, or it might not be. I'm just throwing this request out here anyway.

2. Can we please have the page menu both on top of and below each comic page? You know, this one: [ first | previous | archive | next | last ] Oh, in addition to that, maybe have some sort of plot titles on the archives page, eventually, to serve as hints at where in the comic the links lead to in case we want to locate a particular story arc in the future. Because that will become increasingly helpful as this comic grows in size, especially if it'll end up running as long as Anime News Nina did.

Not that I want to sound too demanding or ungrateful or anything, but I don't really have anything in particular to say about the comic yet. I haven't quite warmed up to it -- to be honest, I cringed at the Attack on Titan joke that introduced our characters too -- but it took me some time to warm up to Anine News Nina too, and that got changed around in a rather big way, so... anything can still happen. I do love the art, though. It's a lovely comic, visually.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Actually those are all really great suggestions - thank you for that feedback. Making it easy to find where storylines start and stop is a great idea.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
I'm happy to see a new comic beginning on ANN! I like the art, and I like what I've seen of the three main characters and their personalities. But, I'd toss the opening panels before the bottom panel on page one and add such sweeping background information as and if it becomes relevant to the story. Let me scratch my head about what the heck is going on with faeries running ANN, develop the characters and show me how they relate to what I had believed to be the real world.

This is my main critique, too. Every Preview Guide, ANN critics deduct points from premieres top heavy with clunky exposition, and that was the first page of this comic in print. Just found it difficult to wrap my head around. I understand that you probably want to get the premise out of the way to set up the characters, but that was a really off-putting way to do it. The dead Gameboy and Super Soaker Bidet fairies were cute, though.

I like topical humor, including references to currently running shows and pop culture in general (@Midnight on Comedy Central is one of my favorite shows on TV right now) but the reference should not be the joke in and of itself. I think you got the right idea by centering the joke around Vice's propensity to prefer the latest fads.

Looking forward to more strips.
rainwithsunshine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Love, love, LOVE the tiny Utena figure! I look forward to more little throw-ins![/b]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
So that Kabaneri line exists because it's connecting to a bit in #3, which originally was meant to premiere alongside these two but we needed to push it out due to the publishing schedule (next weekend is Preview Guide and Anime Expo!). Hopefully the context will make it a little less clunky. Smile
Maur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'll admit, I'm ambivalent about the art style, but the goofy premise serves as an interesting backdrop to what could be entertaining anime nerd conversations.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Here is a thought. Will the Ultimate Mop Daisuke franchise eventually be included within this comic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Cute, cute aaaand cute. Bottom line, cute comic. Very Happy Hope to see more!
Hmph!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I feel like the comic is kinda going off on a tangent here. We hardly know the main casts and they already tease the appearance of the mascot/pet/whatsoever. It'd be better to give more time to the main casts because the way I see it, we're given a short banter between Vice and Luna, only to be interrupted by an "on-a-different-note-here's-the-intro-of-the-mascot!" moment. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2