• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Voice Actors Perform Multiple Roles In Dubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

And they're all voiced by Tom Kenny.

Or Steve Blum Razz
Or Mel Blanc...wait a second...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Or Steve Blum Razz
Or Mel Blanc...wait a second...[/quote] I miss Mel Blanc so much, no one else has been able to replace his characters. Imagine if he was still alive today and still working, and better yet did Anime dubbing Anime hyper
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These new and inexperienced actors are constantly seeking out bit parts to build their resumé, and their agents are always looking to get them jobs so they can climb the ladder.

it's pretty fun watching old shows and reading the credits, like finding out sayaka ohara voiced "girl" in one episode of big O.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Or Mel Blanc...wait a second...

...every male Looney Tune except Fudd. Crazy skills.

In the not-animation department, Frank Oz, who was behind every gravelly-voiced Muppet (Sam, Animal, Fozzie, Miss Piggy!, etc.) and Sesame Street character (Grover, Cookie Monster, and Bert).

So yes, this is not a new phenomenon.

(Phenomenon! do, dooo, do-do-do!)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
This also happens on the Japanese side too-- It just goes uncredited. It usually doesn't happen for cast members who play the main characters, but for people who play sub characters and don't appear in every episode, you can sometimes hear them as mob characters (the extras), but you don't see their name in the credits.

It's probably more obvious in dubs because they will usually list out every single role and no one goes uncredited.
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
That's probably because labor unions are illegal in Texas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5s4euach5U

Labor unions are not illegal in Texas. They simply have a law called Right to work preventing workers from being forced to join a union as a condition as employment. How hard is this for people to understand?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Chris Sabat in Funi's dub of DB series dubbed Piccolo, The dragons, Kami, Korin, Vegeta, Yamcha, The Ginyu Force and Frieza's goons (Barring Ginyu and Dodoria) and others in the original DBZ.

And they all sounded pretty much the same for several years, because Funimation was too cheap to get more voice actors at the time. Fortunately, Sabat began to improve once his workload was lightened.

Granted, Masako Nozawa plays most of the Son clan in the Japanese version, but at least that's theme casting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:
Chris Sabat in Funi's dub of DB series dubbed Piccolo, The dragons, Kami, Korin, Vegeta, Yamcha, The Ginyu Force and Frieza's goons (Barring Ginyu and Dodoria) and others in the original DBZ.

And they all sounded pretty much the same for several years, because Funimation was too cheap to get more voice actors at the time. Fortunately, Sabat began to improve once his workload was lightened.

Granted, Masako Nozawa plays most of the Son clan in the Japanese version, but at least that's theme casting.

Penguintruth, You speak your opinions very well on these subjects with honesty on top of that. However, that is not without it's downside. Funimation wasn't cheap at that time, they simply had a lower budget at that time.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
There is some SAG/Non-SAG shenanigans going on regarding multi-voicing. IIRC an actor explaining that any member of a particular cast could record up to 3 characters per session before running into red tape/extra pay.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
If I correctly recall, several voice actresses in Kantai Collection played as more than one character--as many as five. The only characters that had their own unique voice actresses are I-401 and USS Iowa.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
Funimation wasn't cheap at that time, they simply had a lower budget at that time.

If they couldn't afford more voice actors, they never should have taken on the project to begin with. The audience and the product shouldn't have to suffer for their lack of preparedness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
This pretty much explains why the American dub of Yo-kai Watch so far has only seven voice actors.

Quote:
Many dubs over the years have simply brought office staff into the booth to do a quick cameo. This often leads to poor results, wherein the main cast of a dub sounds fine, but all of the incidental characters are nails-on-chalkboard terrible.

What are a few examples of dubs where this situation occurred? Just curious.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
That's probably because labor unions are illegal in Texas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5s4euach5U

Labor unions are not illegal in Texas. They simply have a law called Right to work preventing workers from being forced to join a union as a condition as employment. How hard is this for people to understand?

Really? You really had to call me a "[expletive] moron"?

At any rate, if that's true, then how is it that union actors are constantly unable to do work for Funimation unless the dub is recorded specifically in California?
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At any rate, if that's true, then how is it that union actors are constantly unable to do work for Funimation unless the dub is recorded specifically in California?

Easy:
1. Funimation doesn't hire union. (Which is also a part of Right to Work)
2. Unless it's an established VA that's moved to LA, and is in SAG-AFTRA.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
StrangeIslands wrote:
Funimation wasn't cheap at that time, they simply had a lower budget at that time.

If they couldn't afford more voice actors, they never should have taken on the project to begin with. The audience and the product shouldn't have to suffer for their lack of preparedness.

You see an opportunity you take it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. And seeing how the show became (and still is) a huge hit in the states I hardly think the product or the audience "suffered".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5