• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Gets New TV Anime in 2018, 35th Anniversary Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Please be as good as Delta's first half all the way through..
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
I'm very surprised to see a new Macross TV series so soon. I would have expected an OVA before seeing a new TV series.

While I did like Delta I certainly didn't love it like I did Frontier or the original series.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
and,of course,we won't see it here as long as Harmony Gold is alive and breathing...
Mr_Mokkori

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Yes, the story was predictable, but what Macross story wasn't? Also, so basically you're faulting them for advertising a Macros show to... people who like Macross? Very Happy;;

Frankly, didn't expected Macross seven to turn out like that (well i expected a good part of it, but i was still surprised by some ideas)

Macross Frontier had good surprises too in his story. Here, none, plain and predictable.

As for the hype part, I don't mind hyping things but when you do it and moreover when you touch the myth of the first series, just to tease you without explaining much, It's low and quite dirty. If it was just the mentionning, ok, it's like a tease for the next series I'm fine, but the thing with lady M was way too much and badly done. Sorry but you don't drop such a thing by a secondary character who just tell the whole thing because the directors and scripters are too lazy to put it in the events.

SHD wrote:

Frankly, I never thought of it as a love triangle, and I think it was never really meant to be one. I would've preferred if they didn't even try, but I'd bet anything that Mirage got involved because the producers felt obliged to add something triangle-ish to the story because of traditions or something. Anything happening on her end was shot down very soon and very definitively, and again, it's not the show's fault that people couldn't get over that.

Usually I don't mind much the romantic part of macross, i like it but it's not my favorite part, but man.... there was no interest here. Mirage didn't even tried.
Zero had an equally one sided romance, but at leat mao "tried" things, here if you count "here I kiss you while you are unconscious" as a try, there is nothing.... really girl ?

SHD wrote:

Says you. I loved the music, and I think it was pretty good and balanced, with the singers having good chemistry and good balance. (Unlike in Frontier's music where May'n's Sheryl was just overpowering, both music and voice-wise, creating some really awkward-sounding duets and a generally unbalanced music.)

Well you can love a music but still admit it's poorly made ^^. The first series had poorly made music (my boyfriend is a pilot is far off a greatly made song but I don't dislike it).

As for the chemistry, it's an idol group of course they are better together than May'n and Nakajima who are pure solo singers. And of course they doesn't sound alike , since their singing is also a part of their differences. (the adult like sheryl and the "joung girl" like ranka)

Usually about the duo, I would agree and it works often (the lives of Frontier are often like this). But sometimes two different kind of singers can do the job well (sayonara no tsubasa is pretty well done about the singers "balance", the music power etc.... but not everyone is Yoko Kanno Laughing )

Fire bomber have two opposite singers too but can still go great songs together (Holy lonely night by mylene and nekki was good even though their voices are quite different)

AS a group, walkure is like any idol group, not bad singers but still singing poorly made songs. But take the singers alone of walkure, they aren't singers who can compete with May'n of Fukuyama.
Moreover Delta doesn't have strong theme songs like the other macross series (Ai oboete imasu ka ?, Voices ? Information high ? Totsugeki love heart ? Seventh moon ? Arkan ? Diamond crevasse ? ) but a soup of songs that you can listen but aren't memorable. ^^

That's the disapointment:
Waiting 6 years and having a Macross with bad dogfights and useless mechs, a story telling poorly done and full of holes, nearly zero strong parts that get on your guts, a flat romance part and poorly made music who take the biggest part of the show like a promotionnal clip. (There is an episode, don't remember the number where we have nearly 15 minuts of music and.... nothing happens.)

When I rewatched Macross seven (who have huge lengh issues and share the same problems), Damn I felt cleaner than after Delta mainly because the music was well made.( even "non-anime" people I know liked some of Seven soundtrack) and because the series was decent enough to not feeling betrayed by it.
Hobbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
I agree ! And Seven had a strong main protagonist !
Exactly what Delta lacked. Sadly a lot of 'useless' characters in this show.

3 Walkure on 5 are unimportant and Mikumo feel like an empty shell until the end.
So it leave Freiya alone, who is a classic cheerful type girl and can't stand out much on her own. It's the same on the musical side. They're too balanced, None have a powerful or a 'special' voice. And the generic J-Pop didn't help much.

Delta squadron was a mess too ! Mirage was useless as a pilot (and as a love interest), same for the leader and the sidekick who certainly have a name. There is Messer but...
So Hayate ? The only time he got the upper hand was thanks to some 'divine wind mystical BS'. The 'heroes' get their asses kicked all the time ! In the air and on the ground ! Rest of the time it's draw after draw.

Even the antagonists ! Beside the White Knight, there not much to talk about.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
As someone who didn't care for Frontier (it was average at best), thought Delta was bad, they didn't plan out the story out for a 26 ep run nor did they develop the love triangle well. I prefer if they went for a shorter series 12/13 TV ep series or an OVA series to make things tighter.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
If they choose to make the next installment a full idol series again, for the love of God have them be the pilots, having them in the background like that and often in harms way with only shields was distracting. That's what grated my nerves, they could've had a full idol cast in the cockpit fighting and it would've turned out even better than it was. Get with the times, magical girl anime have beaten you to the punch in idols being action girls years ago.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
I am not so critical as others, they rotate the music genre each series and this series it was idol girls *Shiver* but cant hold that against it. What disappointed me was pretty much the Magical Girl focus over technology. The Girls equipment was lightyears ahead of the technology in the fighters.

I am hoping the next one will have a Jrock or Trance theme to its music.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
actualyl I think the oposite they shoudl have added at least one coeur more, so the characters and conflicts had more time to develop naturally and we had to suffer less info dump, delta had a lot of interesting characters that did not really get enough screentime and same about some plot lines ( people complainign about unsolved or poorly solved plot lines support this by association)
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Macross Delta fumbled on many fronts.
Hayate on his own never had a strong enough narrative arc which is annoying as he had the lions share of screen time as the promoted Male Lead.

The Walkure threads tried to be made stronger in the late half of the series however by then it was too little too late, this can alternatively be interpreted that the writing staff were trying to bring about concepts on the spot in place of properly planning a story.

The "true villain" and the finale were the ugliest portion of the show, spoiler[Delta tries to mimic elements of Frontier with the villain performing a galaxy sized mind control plot, the writing simply is running around with sequalitis scaling to out do the previous incarnation but by doing so makes Delta as a show a cringing mess.
The finale is craptastic on its own, and made worst if we compare it to the series and movie rendition of a finale in Frontier.]

There are a number of options this Macross project could go, a "serious" look into the original macross ala Gundam the Origin, a more campy narrative set in the macross verse about Idols and test pilots, or Idols turned Test pilots or some other strange mix.
The most important thing expected is the music.
evareigoki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
It would be nice if they chose to pare it all back and return to the roots. A reboot of the original? Not sure if the internal politics there (or worse, the HG angle over here) would permit such a thing, but it could be time to revisit the original.

It worked spectacularly for Yamato 2199.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The Macross franchise was driven into the ground a while ago. Zero was garbage, Frontier was "meh", and Delta was unspeakable. Kawamori has learned nothing. Either bring in somebody really good to write/direct beside/with him, or don't bother with more.

We need another Plus. Not a sequel, another one. Something that makes you stand up and cheer for its magnificence like Plus did.

Don't think we'll ever get anything as well crafted as Plus on our life time. A show like that will not sell well in Japan.

Totally agree with you on Kawamori though. It'd be great to have a new mind developing a story in that universe

Why not taking the Gundam route and make Macross based parallels Univers. If All the Macross we had from 1982 until now are in the same Universe mirroring the Universal Century why not develloped alternate Universe using the same idea as Gundam.

Imagine a Macross A la G-Gundam. Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
and,of course,we won't see it here as long as Harmony Gold is alive and breathing...

How are our friends there faring, out of interest? Unsporting though it may be to contemplate such matters, knowing their financial standing is our only way to estimate whether material like this will ever be popular beyond fansub circles again...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
As others have said, Delta was utter garbage. The problem was that the writing, story, music, characters,....basically everything was either subpar, or outright below average. The story itself was just bad. It was stupid. The end of it was the worst part, when it really should've been the best. Animation was pretty good and I disagree about the fights being bad...they were pretty fun to watch but there was like 5 total so lol.

More importantly to me was the fact that the soundtrack was pretty garbage. Completely lifeless and uninspired. By this, I'm referring to the BGM. The vocal tracks (composed by completely different people than the BGM) were quite enjoyable. Both were still NOTHING compared to what Yoko Kanno gave us in Delta. It was like Aquarion Logos all over again. They got rid of all their best stuff in both shows and just let them become really awful.
Hobbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
The one thing I won't forgive Delta about is destroying the magic/fantastic side of the music's power ! So, it's not about being sincere or songs being powerful, no, no !
It's just about fuckin' fold receptors ! What the hell ! Felt like Star Wars and this midi-chlorians BS !
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4