• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wake-Up Girls! Yutaka Yamamoto Criticizes Attacked Idol

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Well, that's horrendously insensitive and horrendously misogynist. I wish him no good fortune
Please do explain how this is misogynistic in any way Whatsoever. Because it's not. In fact, this article is nothing more than click bait. Most people here are completely misreading what he said. He never blamed her. He simply said she made a mistake - which she did. She seems like she's just a nice person and went to reject him in person. Normally this is.. Normal. However in her position, it's not uncommon for crazy fans to exist and going out alone was a very risky move. What he said here was 100% accurate. If her agency knew this meeting was happening, they hold some responsibility for not looking out for her. She's young and seems to not expect the world to be as cruel as it really is. They should've prepared her better against crazy fans like this. A simple "don't visit fans one-on-one" might've saved her. Though maybe they did give warnings like that and she still wanted to trust this guy. Either way, Yamamoto wasn't being misogynistic and he wasn't blaming her. He merely stated she made a mistake, which she did. If I went to zoo and got attacked by a lion that escaped, my mistake would have been going to the zoo. You can make mistakes and stop not be at fault.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Did he became relevant at some point that his ego bulge up in the wrongest of ways? Cause he was just a remotely "so-so" director and and his obsession with idol animes is just downright creepy.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
For some reason people here are kinda missing the point... She should know better than us how some fans are.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
If he worded it better he wouldn't be in this mess. Couldn't he have said that in a more sympathetic and inclusive way like: "in this day and age it's important for celebrities to be extra vigilant of their surroundings and how they come off to their fans" instead of singling her out like that?
ofpveteran73

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
If you guys are going to continue to frequently post whatever Yamakan posts on his blog could you at least bother to post what he said in full so we can have a conversation about what he actually said and not w/e snippets you think will get people talking.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see him "fighting" against a crazed fan with a knife. Bet he'd just crap his pants.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
If he worded it better he wouldn't be in this mess. Couldn't he have said that in a more sympathetic and inclusive way like: "in this day and age it's important for celebrities to be extra vigilant of their surroundings and how they come off to their fans" instead of singling her out like that?

It would've been better if worded that way, also idols need self defense classes badly.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

Or, how about this "this industry needs to stop cultivating and encouraging obsessive-possessive-entitled fan behavior because that aspect of fandom culture is what leads people to think they have the right to stab a woman halfway to death for returning a [expletive] gift"

No, she shouldn't have known better. We don't even know what the gift was, it could've been something inappropriate or offensive. We don't know if she returned it personally or if her manager did it. And she has no obligation of keeping a gift from a person she doesn't know. Her amount of "blame" in this situation is precisely zero. Saying she should've known better or "celebrities should be extra vigilant" is like saying "women should be careful about wearing short skirts, the should know how men are"
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Not that it's really his (or my) place to comment, but the whole thing does seem like a major failure of her management team that she was meeting a fan unsupervised in such a way. Heck, you wouldn't expect gifts to reach the talent without being vetted first, precisely to avoid them receiving inappropriate gifts & the like. In a way it reminds me of that weird episode of AKB0048 where the moral of the story is that a fan sending death threats just shows how passionate he is about the band & they should be grateful to have such fans.

edit: That said, his phrasing, if translated correctly, does read like he's saying "I'd be alright coz I'm well 'ard but if she weren't looking for a fight she shouldn't have sent his gift back" Which now I think about it why didn't they just dispose of it like you'd expect people to do when sent things they don't want from random strangers?

Last edited by Lemonchest on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
GNX903VSBrave wrote:
Why do I get the feeling him and Milo Yiannopoulos with get along...

Highly unlikely. While Milo does constantly say offensive things, he's not stupid and, from what I know, has never resorted to victim blaming. Like him or not, he's quite eloquent.

Yakaman just put both feet in his mouth, intentional or not.

Alos, Lemonchest, she wasn't meeting this fan, he stalked her and showed up out of the blue.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Fenrin wrote:

Or, how about this "this industry needs to stop cultivating and encouraging obsessive-possessive-entitled fan behavior because that aspect of fandom culture is what leads people to think they have the right to stab a woman halfway to death for returning a [expletive] gift"

No, she shouldn't have known better. We don't even know what the gift was, it could've been something inappropriate or offensive. We don't know if she returned it personally or if her manager did it. And she has no obligation of keeping a gift from a person she doesn't know. Her amount of "blame" in this situation is precisely zero. Saying she should've known better or "celebrities should be extra vigilant" is like saying "women should be careful about wearing short skirts, the should know how men are"

Hey, I'm not actually promoting his logic, I'm just saying what he could have done to come off as less of an ass.
My comment on being extra vigilant still stands though. While I don't think she should be blamed for being attacked, it's still important to acknowledge the fact that celebrities face a high risk of being assaulted. Just because you think the system is flawed isn't going to change the fact that these assaults are going to keep happening, and idols need to be better prepared for that if they can, for example not going out unaccompanied or learning self-defense techniques.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
A simple "don't visit fans one-on-one" might've saved her.

What on earth are you talking about??? The guy stalked her, found out where she lived and what train station she used and then approached her while she was using the train. She DID NOT meet up with him! He STALKED her!!!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
The last part of Yamakan's quote gives the impression that he's callous towards an idol's well-being. That's never a good characteristic to show in a case like this.
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Here's my hot take for a headline for this article: Untalented Hack Still Coasting On A Decade Old Anime's Success Can't Stop Opening His Mouth And Saying Some Dumb Garbage
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Can someone inform him just how quickly he can bend over and go **** himself?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4