• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Manga Gets Live-Action Hollywood Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, they've got my attention here. I actually liked the Ghost in the Shell live-action movie more than I ever thought I would, so who knows, I'm in for a surpise (if it'll end up being good that is).

Though Saint Seiya is a whole different kind of franchise so I wonder how they'll even go about doing this... I'm... intrigued.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkaRed

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood will screw this movie I guarantee it !
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't expect this to be any good, but I'd like it to succeed, and I think the producers should try not to repeat the same mistakes the Legend of Sanctuary movie made. The CG looked great, but cramming the entire Twelve Houses arc into 90 minutes was a terrible idea.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm not as much of a doomsayer as many when it comes to live action hollywood adaptations, but even I wonder at the point in this one. I fail to see how Saint Seiya is anywhere well known or popular enough to get a more mainstream audience in to see it. GITS is one of the more well known titles and it did not do well in theaters. Neither did Speed Racer. While Saint Seiya is quite popular arguably both SR & GITS, among others, are more well known to the general public and mainstream audience. Even if this is 100% amazing and the best live action adaptation ever I just can't see where it will be popular enough to make enough money to make any kind of real profit.I hope it does well but I won't be holding my breath.

For the US your statement might be true, but I can guarantee that in Latin America, Saint Seiya is only second to Dragon Ball (and maybe Naruto among the younger generation) in terms of mainstream popularity. Neither GiTS nor Speed Racer come anywhere close to that. I don't have a lot of hope for this, but it has a lot of potential of being huge, or at least, attracting a lot of attention.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how this could possibly go wrong.

Oh, did I say wrong? I meant right.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'm a little curious about this movie, & that's mainly because a low-key Polish director has been chosen. To be frank, I think that's for the best, as (mainland) Europe is one of the regions where Saint Seiya is pretty big (only rivaled by Latin & South America, arguably), and the fact that Tomasz Bagiński's most "mainstream" work is directing all three intros for CD Projekt's Witcher games lends a bit of overall mystery about how it could turn out.

I'm not heavily anticipating it right now, but I am curious. Also, this news of a live-action Seiya matches the unofficial announcement a few months back that Toei was planning three Seiya productions for 2017, with Saintia Sho being the anime production. All that leaves now is a CG production.
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
@mrsatan:
I don't really get the white washing thing, but Saint Seiya would be OK if they only put Shiryu as the one asian guy, I mean all the other characters are only half-asian

spoiler[Although all of them are half brothers except for Shun and Ikki they were born of different mothers, so they're not full Japanese]

Shiryu should obviously be asian, as for the other characters..

Hyoga especifically wouldn't really make sense being portrayed by an asian actor, Seiya, Shun and Ikki.. I dunno I guess they could be portrayed by people from different nationalities..

Saori should probably be european, greek preferable xD..

As for the gold saints they have diverse nationalities so it shouldn't be a problem in that regard.

The one thing I'm afraid and 99% sure will happen is that they will change Shun into a woman.. because you know hollywood movies need a woman in the team, though that would upset fans so maybe they won't do that..

@Psycho 101

This is Saint Seiya's last movie box office data:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/intl/?page=&country=JP&id=_fSEINTOSEIYALEGEN01

As you can see Saint Seiya is way more popular outside Japan, I don't know how much tickets are worth in China but here in Mexico tickets were around $60 pesos (Around 4 dollars in 2014) vs Japan's overpriced 1,800 Yen or so tickets (Around 18 dollars in 2014)..

What I'm trying to say is that even though in both Mexico and Japan ticket sales are almost identical 2'150,000 for Japan and 2'300,000 for Mexico A LOT more people watched it in Mexico..

My point is that yeah, Saint Seiya is HUGE in a lot of parts of the world, just not in english speaking countries, and when I say huge, I mean it like there's probably no one between 15 to 30 in some Spanish speaking countries that wouldn't know what "Caballeros del Zodiaco" (Knights of the Zodiac) is.

In the countries I mention It's way more mainstream than Gits and SR would ever be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the movie itself.. I still have my doubts, I mean we just got the Power Rangers adaptation which bombed, and agreeably Power Rangers is more recognizable than Saint Seiya, and of course the Rangers franchise had some potential in countries like US and UK where Saint Seiya isn't even known.. and it still bombed..

And nobody asked for this movie (nor the last movie, the 3d Sanctuary film) and from what I can tell Legend of Sanctuary still bombed, it had a $22million USD budget and it only got like $17million back..

So I have to wonder why is Toei doing this...? One would think they would just do a freaking normal anime movie (Which would be way cheaper and fans would get hyped about..) but no, they keep doing things like these that nobody asked for..
Midaro

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This'll be huge in Spanish speaking areas.

¡Sí! Very Happy

Also in France and Italy.

I just hope it's not like Dragon Ball. And imagine they choose actors of the original ethnic groups. I mean, there are Japanese knights, but also Greek, Russian, Brazilian, and others unknown. I hope they respect the epic and remain faithfull to the spirit of the original series, which had such an amazing score.

Last edited by Midaro on Thu May 18, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Midaro

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I don't expect this to be any good, but I'd like it to succeed, and I think the producers should try not to repeat the same mistakes the Legend of Sanctuary movie made. The CG looked great, but cramming the entire Twelve Houses arc into 90 minutes was a terrible idea.

I totally agree. It started well, but the magic dissapeared when they compressed such a long arch. We suffered so much for the characters in the anime series. That was one of the reasons whay it felt so epic. But in the CG movie the drama and the epic were lost.

Last edited by Midaro on Thu May 18, 2017 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the 3 Seiya projects that Toei announced back in December with the others being an ONA (which turned out to be Saintia Sho) and a CG TV series so all that's left now is finding out what the latter is supposed to be about.
Midaro

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm not as much of a doomsayer as many when it comes to live action hollywood adaptations, but even I wonder at the point in this one. I fail to see how Saint Seiya is anywhere well known or popular enough to get a more mainstream audience in to see it. GITS is one of the more well known titles and it did not do well in theaters. Neither did Speed Racer. While Saint Seiya is quite popular arguably both SR & GITS, among others, are more well known to the general public and mainstream audience. Even if this is 100% amazing and the best live action adaptation ever I just can't see where it will be popular enough to make enough money to make any kind of real profit.I hope it does well but I won't be holding my breath.

Europe, South America, Asia will go crazy for this if it's good. We ADORE Saint Seiya.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
perrol: It's in the article. They're doing it, 'cus they got a backer.
Larkan

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
@mrsatan:
I don't really get the white washing thing, but Saint Seiya would be OK if they only put Shiryu as the one asian guy, I mean all the other characters are only half-asian

spoiler[Although all of them are half brothers except for Shun and Ikki they were born of different mothers, so they're not full Japanese]

Shiryu should obviously be asian, as for the other characters..

Hyoga especifically wouldn't really make sense being portrayed by an asian actor, Seiya, Shun and Ikki.. I dunno I guess they could be portrayed by people from different nationalities..

Saori should probably be european, greek preferable xD..

As for the gold saints they have diverse nationalities so it shouldn't be a problem in that regard.

The one thing I'm afraid and 99% sure will happen is that they will change Shun into a woman.. because you know hollywood movies need a woman in the team, though that would upset fans so maybe they won't do that..

@Psycho 101

This is Saint Seiya's last movie box office data:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/intl/?page=&country=JP&id=_fSEINTOSEIYALEGEN01

As you can see Saint Seiya is way more popular outside Japan, I don't know how much tickets are worth in China but here in Mexico tickets were around $60 pesos (Around 4 dollars in 2014) vs Japan's overpriced 1,800 Yen or so tickets (Around 18 dollars in 2014)..

What I'm trying to say is that even though in both Mexico and Japan ticket sales are almost identical 2'150,000 for Japan and 2'300,000 for Mexico A LOT more people watched it in Mexico..

My point is that yeah, Saint Seiya is HUGE in a lot of parts of the world, just not in english speaking countries, and when I say huge, I mean it like there's probably no one between 15 to 30 in some Spanish speaking countries that wouldn't know what "Caballeros del Zodiaco" (Knights of the Zodiac) is.

In the countries I mention It's way more mainstream than Gits and SR would ever be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the movie itself.. I still have my doubts, I mean we just got the Power Rangers adaptation which bombed, and agreeably Power Rangers is more recognizable than Saint Seiya, and of course the Rangers franchise had some potential in countries like US and UK where Saint Seiya isn't even known.. and it still bombed..

And nobody asked for this movie (nor the last movie, the 3d Sanctuary film) and from what I can tell Legend of Sanctuary still bombed, it had a $22million USD budget and it only got like $17million back..

So I have to wonder why is Toei doing this...? One would think they would just do a freaking normal anime movie (Which would be way cheaper and fans would get hyped about..) but no, they keep doing things like these that nobody asked for..

This is being made for the international audience. China is a huge market and it that's where this film will have to perform to make it because in the US it will flop. Brazil and Mexico are the two biggest markets in Latin America and its where it can get some good numbers too.

Imdb has a page for it with authors for Shun and Ikki and 2018 date but I am not its true.

and yes more people watched it in Brazil or Mexico than in Japan.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Of the five main characters, only Shiryu will be cast as Asian. The rest will be white. Just you wait.

You're already creating drama, just enjoy the film if it turns out to be good.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Let's not get carried away the movie has only been green lit and they most likely don't even have a script made yet which means that Saint Seiya could never go into production or worse it could suffer the same fate as Akira. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4