• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hidamari Sketch (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
It was the teacher...? She looked like a high school student O_O!
Wandering Knight, I totally forgot about PPD! Yeah it really does have some similarities to it! I don't think Hidamari Sketch is too much like Azudai, but they do have some similarites definetly.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Knight wrote:
CloverKuroba wrote:
In the OP, I saw one of the characters in a bra...or am I mistaken?

That should be the teacher, not the girls xP

I'm pretty sure each of you are referring to two different scenes from the opening. One of them is with one of the students:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/bra1.jpg

And the other one is with the teacher:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/PantsgoblinX/bra2.jpg

CloverKuroba wrote:
Wandering Knight, I totally forgot about PPD! Yeah it really does have some similarities to it!

They are both directed by Akiyuki Shinbo. His style of directing is pretty distinctive. It's really brought out in the next episode also. If you have seen The SoulTaker, you know what kind of stuff he likes to do...
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Just saw the first episode, and from what I've seen so far it doesn't really remind me of Azumanga Daioh. Sure, they both have the "quirky girls doing a bunch of cute stuff" theme, but the atmosphere seems a lot more relaxed than AzuDai. Sensei no Ojikan would probably be a better show to compare it to. (Or maybe it's just the abundant pattern backgrounds making me think that.) It's definitely no Azumanga, but I love the show so far and can't wait to see more.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm 5 episodes in, and I'm really enjoying the simplistic, quirky humor. Sure it's not a LOL fest, but this feels just as relaxing like when I watched Ichigo Mashimaro. So far, my favorite episode is episode 5 when Yuno got sick. I can really relate to what she went through went she's getting those tripped-out dreams. I mean, how many of you dreamt something like that when you got a fever?

And I agree that Yoshinoya is hot! Cool
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that this anime is the same as Canvas 2, or is at least related to it as if it were a spin - off. That's cause it's about an art school as well. I haven't watched it yet, so I guess I can't be sure if the two series can be compared.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So far, my favorite episode is episode 5 when Yuno got sick. I can really relate to what she went through went she's getting those tripped-out dreams. I mean, how many of you dreamt something like that when you got a fever?

I had a life-threatening fever in my early teens, and that episode captures the hallucinatory nature of a fever quite well. I remember having long conversations with people who weren't present, and watching spots of colour dancing on the walls and singing songs to me.

Very interesting.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
...With typical aplomb the first episode of this series which I watched was episode 6. I was quickly taken in by the art style, pacing and overall "cuteness" of the show. I've now gone back and started watching the thing from the start. All in all, I'm liking this series. It's holding its ground better with me than Lucky☆Star. For that one I'm finding myself a shade on the short end of the stick since I haven't read the manga. Aside from that, the humour in Hidamari Sketch seems a bit more fresh to me than what's in the other comedy anime series I'm following: Luv☆Con/Lovely☆Complex (where the jokes are a tad predictable but I'm still laughing on account of their farily well executed delivery).

It took me a bit to notice that Shinbo Akiyuki was the director. I was so busy trying to keep up with all the activity in the OP sequence I hardly had time to actually read the credits. Anyways, now that I made the connection I keep visualizing the tabby cat that popped up in an episode of Pani Poni Dash! whenever I think of all the actual objects that show up in this series. Funny how the mind builds associations eh?

So, has anyone read the manga? Do the stories in the manga hop all over the calendar too? I checked the official web site for this show and sure enough there was a little diagram explaining the chronological sequence versus broadcast sequence of the episodes. I'm just wondering if there's any significance in the mixed up order other than being a possible tip of the hat to Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu.

ps: What's with the "Mascot: Pantsgoblin" bit that got tossed in by the fansubbers?...Or should I not ask?
CommunistHamster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd bump this seeing as, according to the encyclopedia, the new series (Hidamari Sketch x365) starts airing tomorrow.

Also, Yen Press have licensed the manga, it's supposed to be coming out in June some time
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I was under the impression that this anime is the same as Canvas 2, or is at least related to it as if it were a spin - off. That's cause it's about an art school as well. I haven't watched it yet, so I guess I can't be sure if the two series can be compared.

No, it's not really related at all. Canvas 2 is kind of a semi-harem love triangle plot, while Hidamari Sketch is pure slice-of-life and quietly funny--there's no romance or real fanservice in it. If I were to pick an anime most like it, it'd probably be Sketchbook ~ Full Color's ~ (which was very enjoyable).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
mokuhazushi wrote:
If I were to pick an anime most like it, it'd probably be Sketchbook ~ Full Color's ~ (which was very enjoyable).

Not a bad comparison, but I am more tempted to link it to Ichigo Mashimaro, which it resembles in style and pacing, except with somewhat older characters.

- abunai
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Not a bad comparison, but I am more tempted to link it to Ichigo Mashimaro, which it resembles in style and pacing, except with somewhat older characters.

- abunai

That's a good point--the "central foursome" in both series match up fairly well. Sketchbook is more of a "central triad" with lots more supporting characters. The general slice-of-life format and artistic theme were what inspired my comparison. So we're both right. Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Back from the grave of the forum... (it's not necro-posting when its a series thread)

They keep making them, I'll keep watching them.

Hidamari Sketch × Honeycomb (TV)

For as tame as the tales are, what still blows me away is the shear artistic creativity SHAFT displays in presenting them.

Each episode is its own little piece of pop art. Cutesy characters shown in weird angles and talking over odd images. Even the repeated sequence of young naked girls bathing is drawn in such a simply stylized fashion that you realize it's artistic fan service as opposed to lolicon fan service.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation (OAV)

The first of the two episodes had me worrying a little about the second. The first episode was its typically sweet self but it was also a bit static, in setting and art. It got through the business of the exam taking and had some moments but wasn't anything more. Thankfully the second episode did up the feels and the artistic design.
Sure...it was also rather predictable and standard, with all the standard tears and claims of being "family," but hey, this is practically the definition of a "comfort food" show, it's fitting.

Too bad that Yoshinoya-sensei only got one scene... but it was a good one... spoiler[Sae-san, Hiro-san, Never forget the feel of my body!]

It makes you want to say "and now it's over," since they were such a critical part of the show, but I really can't put it past them to continue the show some more. The show is mainly about Yuno, after all, so it can always go on as long as she's in school. And the way it ended, really didn't feel "final".

[/url]
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I never saw this but I really want to... but I have no time Crying or Very sad
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Honeycomb is very good. Production values are higher than the first season (I only watched those two). Indeed, Shinbo's directing is very artsy and it shows. The dialogue is also quite smart. Though, despite these qualities I still think there is a lot of stuff that's significantly superior so I rated it as good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2