• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
you know if things go by how destiny wants...this is going to be a sad ending.

I'm not sure how this destiny thing will take us, but the actual story of Romance of the Three Kings wasn't very sad. The distortion created by Ikki Tousen in terms of the story makes it very hard for those who knows the original to enjoy. I've basically taken a back seat to everything and just watch for the hot girls and anticipating some potentially very very hawt fights Razz
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Sousaku Hakufu is spoiler[ dead] NOOOO!!! Episode 8 of Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny, was pretty sad, it seems that spoiler[Kan-u has been captured by Sousou] and is now fighting for him...hope that doesn't last long. I really just can't believe spoiler[Hakufu is dead], well I can believe it but I wish it hadn't happend Crying or Very sad
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Sousaku Hakufu is spoiler[ dead] NOOOO!!! Episode 8 of Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny, was pretty sad, it seems that spoiler[Kan-u has been captured by Sousou] and is now fighting for him...hope that doesn't last long. I really just can't believe spoiler[Hakufu is dead], well I can believe it but I wish it hadn't happend Crying or Very sad

OH NO FRICKING WAY Exclamation ARE YOU SERIOUS Question

Damn, that sucks hardcore...I liked her! spoiler[the dumb bunny]. Are you sure spoiler[Hakufu is dead and we aren't going to have her come back? Better and stronger than ever? Probably not smarter, but stronger.] Say yes, pretty please.

Damn, I'm so going to have to get this series when it arrives! Anime hyper
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't going to watch this episode until tonight when I woke up, but I saw that someone actually posted here before I did for once, and I figured something big was going on and I didn't want to read the posts here before watching the episode. So I watched:

Episode 8

First of all, the episode definitely deserves some of my rambling comments so I'll go with that first. The story, as I had suspected but didn't want to get my hopes up, picks up. All the setting up, all the plots, and all the scheming; it finally leads to something and it is actually pretty darned thrilling. I mean I usually enjoy Ikkitousen but this is a level of excitement I usually don't get from a show I expect so little from. Poor Kan-u, after really being the backbone and meat of her group, spoiler[she sacrifices herself for Ryuubi, ends up being consumed by Motoku, and now is sort of a mental slave to him of sorts to the extent that she battles to protect him]. And if this weren't interesting enough, this finally gave Ryuubi the spoiler[figurative kick in the pantsu that motivates her into finally wanting to take a stand]. It'll be exciting to see where this goes from here. I hope they handle the remaining episodes as well as this one.

Next episode preview shows we might be in for a bit more recapping, spoiler[and maybe a bit reminiscing.] But, now that business has picked up I'm expecting some more major developments.

And on the the juice:
LydiaDianne wrote:
OH NO FRICKING WAY Exclamation ARE YOU SERIOUS Question
Way. This came out of nowhere. I mean knowing spoiler[Hakufu, you just come to expect that she'll battle her way of things and at the very least survive at the end. That was just shocking.]

Quote:
Damn, that sucks hardcore...I liked her! spoiler[the dumb bunny]. Are you sure spoiler[Hakufu is dead and we aren't going to have her come back? Better and stronger than ever? Probably not smarter, but stronger.] Say yes, pretty please.

Okay, here's the deal, you spoiler freak you, spoiler[It happens at the very end and there's a flash of energy when she's fighting Motoku. You don't see her go down, everyone just assumes that's the end of it. So actually there is light at the end of the tunnel. However not in the next episode as the preview shows how everyone at Nanyo starts to pretty much fall apart at the news. So I actually don't think she's dead but it'll be interesting to see where they actually go with it. Hakufu is not the main character in this series so there is really no obligation to bring her back, so for dramatic purposes they may actually leave her dead. So while there is hope it is still a pretty good toss up either way and either way would work well depending on the direction of the show. I just hope it isn't anything cheesy, like her spirit comes back and inspires her compatriots to keep moving forward, which just would not work. ]

Quote:
Damn, I'm so going to have to get this series when it arrives! Anime hyper
If this keeps up it looks like it may well be worth the buy.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I
Okay, here's the deal, you spoiler freak you,

Thanks! Wink

Don't worry, by the time it arrives here Rolling Eyes I will have forgotten about 99% of this thread. spoiler[Maybe not about Hakufu, but the rest of it.]
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Heh she probably spoiler[will be back]. But then again...Ryofu spoiler[died in the first Ikkitousen ]and I wasn't expecting that at all...well maybe just a little. But hey it looks like from the first Ikkitousen Saji is back, which will definatly lighten the mood...for me at least.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
You guys have to realize that the story is supposed to follow Romance of the Three Kingdoms to a certain degree, which in itself is a very strong spoiler for what's supposed to happen. Having said that, spoiler[I don't expect Hakufu to die and it's most likely not going to happen], while Ryofu's death was obvious and expected considering who she was supposed to be, not to mention it was built up for like 3 episodes in the first season.

In ROTK, and also specified in episode 8, Kan-U and Sousou had quite a few moments. However, he always went back to Ryuubi, and we'll likely see that happening again without further drawbacks. I expect the next couple episodes to bring in Koumei's brilliant plans and hopefully we can get some more fun.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
You guys have to realize that the story is supposed to follow Romance of the Three Kingdoms to a certain degree, which in itself is a very strong spoiler for what's supposed to happen. Having said that, spoiler[I don't expect Hakufu to die and it's most likely not going to happen], while Ryofu's death was obvious and expected considering who she was supposed to be, not to mention it was built up for like 3 episodes in the first season.

I don't know the romance of the Three Kingdoms so I don't get those spoilers Anime catgrin + sweatdrop . But I definitely agree about spoiler[Ryofu's death in the first series]. It was one of those that I think even the characters mentioned what had happened in history at one point before it happened so it didn't really come out of no where. Even for someone like me who doesn't know the original story.

Quote:
In ROTK, and also specified in episode 8, Kan-U and Sousou had quite a few moments. However, he always went back to Ryuubi, and we'll likely see that happening again without further drawbacks. I expect the next couple episodes to bring in Koumei's brilliant plans and hopefully we can get some more fun.

This is good to know, I like Kan U better than the rest from her own camp so I don't really like what happened to her in this last episode. Just based on what I have seen in the show itself it is set up to be an exciting finish so I'm looking forward to the rest, and more fun too. Thanks for the updates. Very Happy
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Stupidman007 wrote:

I don't know the romance of the Three Kingdoms so I don't get those spoilers Anime catgrin + sweatdrop . But I definitely agree about spoiler[Ryofu's death in the first series]. It was one of those that I think even the characters mentioned what had happened in history at one point before it happened so it didn't really come out of no where. Even for someone like me who doesn't know the original story.

I was sort of hoping she would "prevail over her destiny" you know the "I have a spirt inside of me from someone who died and I am destined to die in a similar way but f*ck that I will beat destiny" I suppose that wasn't something to expect from Ikkitousen.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
I was sort of hoping she would "prevail over her destiny" you know the "I have a spirt inside of me from someone who died and I am destined to die in a similar way but f*ck that I will beat destiny" I suppose that wasn't something to expect from Ikkitousen.

You know, the funny thing about that is, if spoiler[Ryofu did "prevail over her destiny"], then we wouldn't have much of a story since the first season was full of Hakufu's mother and Koukin stressing over Hakufu's "destiny".
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
omar235 wrote:

You know, the funny thing about that is, if spoiler[Ryofu did "prevail over her destiny"], then we wouldn't have much of a story since the first season was full of Hakufu's mother and Koukin stressing over Hakufu's "destiny".

We would have a story, because most of the characters, including Hakufu, were trying to alter their destinies, I recall Hakufu's destiny, that she could die at the end at the the hands of the last girl she fought, she didn't so in a way changed her destiny by a margin. I would have liked it if Ryofu did the same. But like you said they do have to keep to The Romance of the Three Kingdoms story to a certain degree.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
In a way spoiler[Hakafu dying] is no surprise. I mean the premise is they are re-incarnated people destined to live out the same fate, which means spoiler[dying and starting over] again and again.
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
We would have a story, because most of the characters, including Hakufu, were trying to alter their destinies, I recall Hakufu's destiny, that she could die at the end at the the hands of the last girl she fought, she didn't so in a way changed her destiny by a margin. I would have liked it if Ryofu did the same. But like you said they do have to keep to The Romance of the Three Kingdoms story to a certain degree.

I also would've liked it if Ryofu hadn't lost to destiny, that would give us more juicy characters to watch fight Razz However, for simplicity, we couldn't expect Ryofu to prevail because she was all alone at that time, and the rules of anime aren't kind towards those type of characters in such situations. On the other hand, it wouldn't be such a long shot if Hakufu or Kan-u can alter their destinies since they're supposed to be the "good guys" and we know that good guys always prevail Razz
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
omar235 wrote:

I also would've liked it if Ryofu hadn't lost to destiny, that would give us more juicy characters to watch fight Razz However, for simplicity, we couldn't expect Ryofu to prevail because she was all alone at that time, and the rules of anime aren't kind towards those type of characters in such situations. On the other hand, it wouldn't be such a long shot if Hakufu or Kan-u can alter their destinies since they're supposed to be the "good guys" and we know that good guys always prevail Razz

Good guys don't always prevail. Ever watch the movie Swordfish? spoiler[John Travolta's character didn't actually die] so honestly the good guy didn't completely win. That may not be an anime but they could take that approach and surprise you at the end. Maybe Sousou will kill them all and rule the world with murderous abandon Wink
Facade19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Personally I am on episode 4 and so far the anime has been very entertaining, though also very, hmm, what word would suit here...esoteric.
So we have Dynasty Warriors gone to high school, where it happens to be that every female is big breasted and dress skimpy. Now now, I know people will shout and protest that is only an anime show and therefore cannot/ (should not) resemble reality. I think however that the shows serious points (and to me there are quite a few) are being negated by the constant mockery of its comedy.
Maybe that is exactly what viewers wish to encounter, but yet while I cannot help to be entertained during the viewing(s), the taste of utter confusion leaves me buffled at times afterwards.

However I will still continue on, since Dragon Destiny is addictive. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3