• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Claymore (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, it's tomorrow? Blast, I thought it had already aired.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
I just looked this title up in the Encyclopedia and some trailers on youtube. The series looks pretty sick. It's animated by Madhouse, which is one of my favorite studios (I mean, the did do Death Note Very Happy ). As for the length of the series, if the manga is 12+ volumes, I'd expect the series to be 40+ episodes. The Death Note manga is 12 volumes long, and the series is 37 episodes.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
The first impressions of the Claymore anime were posted yesterday on the BasuGasuBakuhatsu Anime Blog. The person obviously hasn't read the manga, so it isn't surprising that they weren't impressed, saying it looks like a generic shounen anime. The manga does start out rather generic, but it gets better and better as time goes on. People who have read the manga have even commented on the blog entry saying that it will get better.

http://www.basugasubakuhatsu.com/blog/2007/04/03/claymore-anime-first-impressions/

There's a whole lot of nice screen shots as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
So what's it actually about? All I got from the rather oddly written encyclopedia entry was that there are monsters called 'Youma' and some special people who are half 'youma' with special swords and powers who can kill them. (I assume they are trying to model at least a few of the weapons off a claymore...I may just have to see how they do that)
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
So what's it actually about? All I got from the rather oddly written encyclopedia entry was that there are monsters called 'Youma' and some special people who are half 'youma' with special swords and powers who can kill them. (I assume they are trying to model at least a few of the weapons off a claymore...I may just have to see how they do that)

There is a somewhat lengthy description of the background in the manga's Wikipeda article (if you don't mind taking a couple of minutes to read it). I feel it sums up the basic premise of the series quite well.

EDIT: The forum doesn't like Wikipedia's funky URL. I'll just quote it.

Wikipedia wrote:
The setting of Claymore's story is a fictional world with medieval technology. Politically, it appears to consist of a large number of scattered towns. In this world, humans coexist with monsters called Yoma. The Yoma, who are shape-changers, can take human form and live in disguise among human society. They feed on human innards, and sometimes take possession of memories from the brains of people they eat. These acquired memories help them to disguise themselves within human society.

A nameless and highly secretive organization has created an order of superhuman warriors to protect humans from the Yoma. These warriors are called Claymores by the village people, after their immense claymore swords. Villages being attacked by Yomas hire Claymores to kill the Yomas for a large fee.

This organization creates the Claymores by implanting Yoma flesh and blood into humans, to create hybrids that are more powerful than the original Yoma, in addition to their weapons training and possibly greater intelligence. A Claymore's standard abilities include faster healing, limited shape modification, the ability to detect other demons and hybrids, and overall enhanced physical prowess. They all wear the same armor and use large claymore swords that normal humans lack the strength to wield, and are characterized by their silver eyes and hair. However, the Yoma powers of each Claymore will increase overtime until the Claymore loses all humanity and becomes a powerful, highly intelligent Yoma called an Awakened. They also constantly run the risk of speeding up their transformations into Yomas if they overuse their powers. A good Claymore will ask a friend (usually a fellow Claymore) to kill them if they sense they are "Awakening" so they would not become a Yoma.

The secret organization is contacted by the town council about Yoma killings and will then send a Claymore to kill the demons, although not every hybrid does so willingly. Upon a successful kill, it then sends an agent to charge a large fee for its services. A town that fails to pay will never receive further assistance and will be left at the mercy of the Yoma. It has been insinuated that the organization themselves send Yoma to the towns that could not pay. The organization is often strict and harsh; hybrids who break the rules (for example, by killing a human, even accidentally or to protect others) will be hunted down by their fellow hybrids. Claymores who causes trouble or Claymores who are suspected to be on the verge of Awakening, will often be sent on impossible suicide missions without the Claymores themselves knowing. It has been insinuated by various characters in the series that the organization is much more sinister than it appears.

Despite saving humans on a regular basis, Claymores are often feared and alienated by humans due to their incredible powers, their relation to Yomas, and generally cold attitudes. Claymores often live unhappy, lonely lives due to their loneliness and the knowledge that they will eventually die or become monsters. Presumably from the combination of their Yoma blood and their suffering, some Claymores develop an incredible thirst for blood and become bloodthirsty killers who enjoy taking life. Surviving family members of humans who had been possessed by Yomas are often alienated and banished from villages for fear that they might be Yoma too. Females who suffer this fate are often forced to become Claymores to survive.

The story of Claymore follows the adventures of the beautiful Claymore warrior Clare. The plot follows her as she fights Yoma and struggles to hold on to her humanity. Starting in the 3rd volume, there is a flashback to her childhood and how she was 'adopted' by the Claymore Teresa. After Teresa rebels against the organization and is subsequently killed, Clare volunteers to become a Claymore using Teresa's flesh in order to take revenge on the Awakened who killed her ....

Last edited by Jedi General on Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

There is a somewhat lengthy description of the background in the manga's Wikipeda article (if you don't mind take a couple of minutes to read it). I feel it sums up the basic idea of the story quite well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymore_(manga)#Background

Thanks for the link, I hear from a few people on here that it is good and they love the manga and can't wait for it...I will have to see this I suppose. Razz
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
You're welcome. It's one of my favorite manga currently. I just wish more people would give it a try. EDIT: If you stick with it for the first couple of volumes it really starts getting good come volume 3 (when the great Teresa arc starts) and continues to get better from volume to volume. I assume it will be the same in the anime for those who haven't read the manga. Just stick with it until Teresa shows up.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode of Claymore and I'm impressed. It looked great. Being able to see Clare in color the entire time really enhanced how distant she is. Her silver eyes stand out and seeing them turn gold was very cool and really showed off the Yoma side of her. Seeing as how this is the first episode and the story starts off slightly generic it wasn't the most exciting thing I've seen (especially since I've been reading the manga) but it was still highly entertaining.

The animation was stunning but I thought the music was lacking. The OP did nothing for me and I barely noticed the BGM except for the part when spoiler[Raki's brother was attacking him.] The ED song was much better IMO. It was a nice way to end the show and had me excited for the next episode.

It looks like Claymore's going to be awesome and I'll definitely be following this one.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Indifferent about the series, but it looks nice. Not too worried about the action, but it's been awhile since I've seen a more medieval setting type anime. This should fit in nicely.
Zero89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Don't need to wait for Teresa to come!... I'm impressed already... Shocked pretty much describes me in the first minute of the show... (Wasn't expecting it to be so gory) It has a sort of Berserk quality about it... And even though the plot so far has been formulaic in it's approach, I don't seem to mind it too much, the emotion conveyed more than makes up for it. Overall, a very solid start. You say it gets better? Can't wait. Anime hyper
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
The first episode was great. Madhouse has done an excellent job the so far. The art looks so much better in the anime, I'm very impressed.

digitalkikka: Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the music either. I don't really care about the OP and ED all that much, but the BGM wasn't anything special. Hopefully it will get better as time goes on.

Last edited by Jedi General on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Facade19

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
The first episode was great. Madhouse has done an excellent job the so far. The art looks so much better in the anime, I'm very impressed.

digitalkikka: Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the music either. I don't really care about the OP and ED all that much, but the BGM music wasn't anything special. Hopefully it will get better as time goes on.

Regarding the music make that three.
At some parts it felt quite akward to say the least.
However I am quite impressed with the first episode.
Claymore reminds me of Berserk and Fate/Stay Night combined for some odd reason.
Definately a great show to watch over the next months.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
Facade19 wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

digitalkikka: Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the music either. I don't really care about the OP and ED all that much, but the BGM music wasn't anything special. Hopefully it will get better as time goes on.

Regarding the music make that three.
At some parts it felt quite akward to say the least.
However I am quite impressed with the first episode.
Claymore reminds me of Berserk and Fate/Stay Night combined for some odd reason.
Definately a great show to watch over the next months.

Yeah, now that I think about it the BGM was a bit awkward at times during the episode. Like I said earlier hopefully it will get better. I really hope that the music is good during the Teresa arc.

Claymore is rather similar to Berserk, especially due to the fact that there is an early flashback to Clare's childhood. I've never thought of it as being similar to Fate/stay night though.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, but I intend to at some point. I've been interested in it and it sounds like its pretty good, but I didn't care for the art style from what I saw of it. I think I'm going to watch the anime, which will certainly not cover everything since the manga is still going in Japan, and then read the manga after that. It's not like I have a shortage of manga to collect right now anyway.

Anyhow, the first episode was decent. Visually, it was very nice, but it was pretty standard storywise as an introductory episode. It introduced the main character and laid a bit of groundwork about what she is and the world she inhabits. Nothing particularly outstanding.

I look forward to seeing where this series goes.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Claymore episode 1:

Okay, given that I am who I am, I gotta play it straight:

While the character adaptations are pretty good and there’s lots of detail in that regard, the animation itself isn’t quite at the best level that it should be (best level being like… Masayuki Kojima’s work).

All in all, it’s these little subtle things that people probably won’t notice, but I have to admit that I feel like the production was using a bunch of techniques that makes the characters look like they’re panning from frame-to-frame at times; I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it just looks funny even though the characters aren’t necessarily “morphing” from one position to another.

Essentially, it’s like this: it doesn’t look nearly as good as Madhouse’s take on Death Note.

Okay, while you can argue that not much goes on in Death Note (though, I will disagree with most there given how extravagant the little movements tend to be… just see the sequence where Light uses the note for the first time, and you’ll know what I’m talking about), the animation there was really nice and totally complemented the excellent art.

I don’t know if it has to do with the fact that all of the TV resources are tied up with Araki’s work (or it could be that his imagery is more imaginative), but, all things considering, Claymore could look better… in terms of animation, I mean. Art looks fine since it’s pretty detailed (and the damn backdrops look pretty meticulous).

But then, maybe I need to see it in better quality? I dunno.

That said, I’m pretty satisfied with the show since the setup seems interesting; I’ll be watching since they’ll probably develop that relationship between Clare and that Raki kid… like, is she gonna be consumed by her past? Or can Raki stop her from forgetting her humanity… or… something… yeah, it’s interesting.

The music is a little weird… some times, they go with the traditional medieval stuff (with bagpipe-sounding instruments and everything), but then, other times, they come out with a track that sounds like it’s some random band jamming in the garage… it’s weird; they should’ve gotten Susumu Hirasawa (who has done work for Madhouse… with Satoshi Kon, I mean… but then, I don’t think he just makes music for any show, but he did do Berserk).

In any case, if, by some kinda small misjudgment by me, they did go with Hirasawa (can’t tell yet given that the credits aren’t up), then color me surprised.

That said, I’ll be watching next week as well.

I really need to get into this fansub thing a lot more given that waiting for R1 releases takes too damn long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 65