• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Rainbows 'n Kittens!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
Anyway, all this Zac-happiness is really off putting...I mean, I don't think he's gotta be an a-hole but, him being cheery like that is really freaky. Laughing

I'm not really freaked-out, because I can sense an edge of sarcasm underneath all of the happy-happy-ness. xD;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The Column was neck deep in sarcasm this week huh. Seems to me he answered questions he would othwise not have. Maybe he started drinking early....Anyway, still a fun read. And I like the new rules for the rants.

-------------------

As far as the rant. Although cutsy things in anime are very prevalent they are not exclusive to only people who watch it or people who don't. Even if most mass media doesn't promote the same sorts of things anime does.

Just ask any guy if a cute girl in a maid outfit(or whatever) is hot. 99% of them will say yes, regardless of if they are even attracted to girls or not. And the same thing would apply to girls as well, just different triggers. It is like make-up, it makes whatever is wearing it more cute. So if cute girl X is already a 9, on a show, sometimes the only way to make her a 10 is to stick cat ears on and a tail, or some wings and pointy teeth, or a nun. Or whatever personally gets your ballocks bothered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ulto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, that rant was the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read this year.

Quote:
Why do nekomimi, meido, vampire girls, lolis, or any other type of cutesy anime girl appeal to today's male anime viewer so much? I argue that it's due to the changing role of females in society.

You know, maybe where I live just isn't liberal enough, but so far I've completely missed the increasing young cat-eared vampiric maid trend among the females. Incidentally, I live next to Santa Cruz, California. As we all know, we overflow with conservatism, just like the Answerman column normally overflows with family-freindly non-controversial happiness (and if anyone is misssing the heavy sarcasm here, they fail at life).

But seriously, can someone get this guy to actually think about what he says? Or, if that doesn't work, mabye give him a few strikes to the head with a mallet? A rubber one, of course; his entertainment value is more than enough to justify keeping him alive. Twisted Evil
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
well that was weird...

anyways, i agree with the ranter. i'm a guy, and i even hate all these cliche character roles. i recently finished Red Garden, and i have to say it had some of the most realistic characters i've seen in awhile. i'd like to see more of that.
Ulto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
well that was weird...

anyways, i agree with the character. i'm a guy, and i even hate all these cliche character roles. i recently finished Red Garden, and i have so say it had some of the most realistic characters i've seen in awhile. more of that please.

Actually, Red Garden seemed a bit overdramatic to me (though I admit I didn't watch the whole series). Though admittedly, the people writing it seemed to be at least trying, as where those who cater to the neko-goth-loki crowd are more concerned with roping in as many desperate men as possible. The worst thing is, between something like Red Garden and something like Mahouromatic, the latter has much better marketing potential (Which is really why this sort of thing happens -_-)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
Hey, Answerman wrote:
Manga companies license a series, meaning they don't pay for individual chapters, rather the property as a whole. When Del Rey licenses Negima!, they don't pay $10,000 for chapter 1 and $7500 for chapter 2, they license the entire run for US release.

Is that how licensing works in US? Here in Taiwan, while the license is for the entire set, the contracts for publishing and distribution are volume-by-volume, because each volume has a different ISBN and is thus an individual book..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
This has got to be my favourite Answerman Column so far this year, hands down.

Some of Zac's responses were really amusing. His comment about the voice acting and his response to the flake got me laughing pretty hard. I haven't laughed so hard at a flake since the person who asked about a series boxset(?) of Power Rangers.

Regarding Shaman King, I would assume that it's because of the lack of marketability behind it now with the anime over, as well as it being the longest out of the 3 series in the mag that don't really have any marketability left in them.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
What's more positive than rainbows and kittens?
NOTHING. And anyone who says otherwise is an empty-headed moron.

Awww, now that's more like the Answerman that I know and read! Very Happy

Seriously, though, I found this week's column to be totally hilarious precisely because it was so un-Zac-like. And the photos were like great punch lines! The thumbs-up photo really made me laugh for some reason. The photo of the kitten is absolutely adorable, especially because it looks like it's scratching it's head and going, "What's wrong with you Zac, are you feeling okay?" I can only imagine whether it was fun or a struggle to write this particular column (although the drinking comment at the end makes me want to lean toward the latter Laughing ). Thank you for the laughs, Zac, it really lightened my mood!

The ranter/essayist, Jared Hussen wrote:
Ya, this might fall under the "stereotypical" category, but I thought the question of why we watch anime and how it affects us needed some clarification...

Uh...unless you were talking about you and a group of your buddies or something, I think that the words "we" and "us" in that sentence need to be changed to "I" and "me" because what you wrote really seems to be about why you as an individual anime fan/otaku watch anime and how it affects you. I don't understand how you can seemingly come to the conclusion that all or most anime fans/otaku watch anime for the reasons that you do or are affected by anime in the way that you are. I personally know that if I had written a rant or an essay about the same subject matter, I would have written a completely different piece. I mean, completely different. There are many reasons for this, including the fact that I'm a female anime fan and the fact that I approach anime as I approach any type of story as it is presented in any type of medium. And I love animation and fantasy and science fiction, etc.

Also, I did not understand what you meant by "this might fall under a 'stereotypical' category." How does the subject that you wrote about fall under a stereotypical category? Perhaps you meant that you thought you might be stereotyping anime fans/otaku be writing about why you watch anime and how it affects you?

It's rather interesting how you write that you are not sexist and are supportive of women's rights, yet in the paragraph following that, you seem to be pining for your past where the women you knew could cook, wanted to be protected, and were polite, and then you complain about how in your present women in power are destructive, working women are mean, and your girlfriend's are even meaner. Wow. I mean, wow. And then you follow that up with your Mahoromatic comment, which cracked me up because I have no sympathy for you in that arena. Women are far more varied and complex than you have just presented them. If a female writer had written something similar about men, I would write the same thing. Both men and women in real-life are complicated creatures with different personalities and character traits and issues. To blame real-life women in the present day for driving you to watch cute anime girls...well, that doesn't seem very...mature, to me. Forgive me if you end up feeling that I sound the slightest bit mean. Wink

Last edited by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
There's something in the water. First tempest, now Zac.

Look, there's a pig flying outside!
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:

Is it possible that you are referring to tempest's comments in the "Is Anime Better than Sex?" thread? I thought his comments were hilarious as well. And how do you know they're drinking the same water? Shocked Laughing

And if there is a flying pig outside, it must be Perfect! Anime catgrin
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Best Answerman Ever

*hugs for Zac!*
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:

More like Hell is getting as bit chilly right now. Must be them tradewinds.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
...ha.
The whole time I was reading this all I could think of was:

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood
A beautiful day for a neighbor ,Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

But seriously...as seriously as we could be here. Even though we were playing nice today I still expected the kid who mentioned voice acting to catch a beating.

Why do they destroy Tokyo so much? I've always wondered that myself.

In a few months I would like to see a real answer for the loli thing. if it became something like yaoi w/out the fuss what would people do then?

Those high fivers are awesome. I just saved the pic LOL.

Rant
Why do those things appeal to males? because they're made to. The rest of your rant was was...well. Simply put: Clinton has nothing to do with your arguement. it was a sad example. you're whole saying on not being sexist- but then following it up to say that a female president nominee is "ruining the country"
(I admit I don't know if you said that because of her party or because its a her)

Anyway before I break into my own rant-

Keep in mind that women have changed since you grew up. Even if you're 15 years old the women from then and the women now have to change. They can't afford to serve you cookies anymore- they have to be demanding and act like males to get through their jobs espeically if they're competing with males.

Basically: things just aren't the same anymore. I think I got the core arguement but a lot of that was all over the place.

I enjoyed this column who's picture reminded me of hippies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
I haven't doubled over in laughter to this extent for weeks. Sarcastic or not, the responses to each question were just, somehow, perfectly suited. Very nice change of pace, before the inevitable return to business next week.

The rant: This guy... it just feels like he's possibly related to my MTH 152 teacher from a few semesters ago. That stuck in/longing for the past mindset isn't really something else.
Moros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
{User banned following massive 'vandalism' of own past posts -- abunai}

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17