• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action DBZ Set to Shoot in Montreal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I will see this movie, as they say on the interwebs, "for the lulz".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LightNightmare148

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Noooooo. Oh God, no... I really hoped they had forgotten about this while thing a long time ago... now they're back to it...
I really can't see how this can be a good live-action movie. With a budget of $100 million, I don't see it being the next Lord of the Rings in terms of CGI.. it's probably gonna look so cheesy. Don't let me get started on how Super Saiyan, Piccolo, Oozaru, etc would look.. man.

Why do you pick on us, FOX.. why.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Man, I have to say this is quite the shocker. I thought it was dead a long time ago, now it looks like it may actually happen. Any ideas for who is supposed to direct it or who is supposed to play each of the characters, or anything else? I think the only way we could possibly determine if this will be a success or not is if we actually know stuff like this, otherwise it's mostly just speculation. But hey, I'd say this isn't half bad an idea if they can pull off an excellent adaptation. Not so much so if they can't, yeah, but if they can, this is definitely something I've been looking forward to for quite a while actually.
Mini-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Yay ! they are filming in my city Laughing

Seriously, I'm scared of what this might become...Who will be Goku? lol
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
HAHAHAHAHA! Anime hyper
I can't believe it's really happening. This will be really decent or really horrible...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Also, I find it amusing that this article inadvertently debunks the long-standing rumour that Roland Emmerich will be directing the live-action Dragonball Z film, since it also mentions that Emmerich will also be shooting something in Montreal in winter, except it will be a Fantastic Voyage remake.

I'm glad to know that Emmerich's talents won't be wasted on this dreck. (Not sarcasm; despite the preachy-keen earnest awfulness of the Montreal-shot Day After Tomorrow, I still think Independence Day is among the greatest mindless summer popcorn event flicks of the 1990s, and Stargate is also great.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Damn, if it was in China or Hong Kong, I'd understand, but what kind of Asian setting can you find in Canada?! And $100 million?! At that budget, it'll be lucky to look like Mortal Kombat. Oh well, it can't be worse than the one they already did. More importantly, thpough we really need a second Night at the Museum?! Rolling Eyes

Unholy:
Quote:
Anyways... Why is this movie set to film, yet the live action Eva is still a dead project?

Eva ain't dead, but WETA seems to have taken it off their page.

jsevakis:
Quote:
Luck, and ADV is not Fox.

I'm guessing it's more like the Silver Surfer movie is too expensive-hence no Galactus in Fantastic Four 2-and they can't seem to get Wolverine and Magneto off the ground.

Tenchi:
Quote:
I'm glad to know that Emmerich's talents won't be wasted on this dreck.

Yes, that Godzilla remake was really classy. Rolling Eyes
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
This must be the week for reviving dead stuff
HunterXHunter returns from hiatus.
Those Who Hunt Elves (after 5 yrs?)
Halloween(not good according to my teen who saw it yesterday)
And this.

Well, it's a lot of fighting, so the effects can be played down some, particularly if they move it away fromt hr capsule corp technology.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Damn, if it was in China or Hong Kong, I'd understand, but what kind of Asian setting can you find in Canada?! And $100 million?! At that budget, it'll be lucky to look like Mortal Kombat. Oh well, it can't be worse than the one they already did. More importantly, thpough we really need a second Night at the Museum?! :roll:

I'm guessing it'll be shot mostly against bluescreen at Mel's Cité du Cinema with everything but the actors in CGI, just like 300, so the location is irrelevant.

GATSU wrote:
Tenchi:
Quote:
I'm glad to know that Emmerich's talents won't be wasted on this dreck.

Yes, that Godzilla remake was really classy. :roll:

Well, "GINO" was at least better than The Day After Tomorrow even if it wasn't that great overall.

Anyway, I'm fully aware Emmerich is a hit-or-miss director, but Stargate and Independence Day are redeeming enough that I at least look forward to seeing whatever he does next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Roy9076

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Still going? Well, the budget makes it seem like an experiment. Well, hopefully it does not suck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
Well, the budget makes it seem like an experiment.

I don't think this movie will be any good, since it will be a movie based on Dragonball Z, but $100 million is more than adequate assuming they do all of the effects in CGI and use virtual sets and don't use A-list actors or directors.

300, which was shot using the same ginormous bluescreen soundstages at Mel's Cité du Cinéma that I assume DBZ will also use, had a production budget of only $65 million. With advances in processing power and the relative ease of use of newer programs like Avid's Softimage XSI 6.01, the cost of CGI effects has come down drastically in recent years and budget-mided studios can do much more with much less.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: Yeah, but 300 was mostly just about multiple soldiers, while fireball fights are a little more graphic intensive.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Virtual fireballs aren't any more expensive than virtual soldiers...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: All you gotta do w/ 300 is copy and repeat. DBZ requires a little more individualism in action sequences.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Why? It's all muscle-bound alien wrestlers standing around in mid-air shooting fireballs at each other. That's as copy/paste as anything in 300... all they really need to do is change the hairdoes and skin colour for each CGI character every once in a while. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7