• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horror anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend Ghost Hound for a horror anime. I'm thinking about getting it but don't know if it's gonna be really scary or not. So is it?
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the Ghost Hunt recommendations. For what seemed like its fairly generic set-up, with its apparent promises of comedy and romance to come, Ghost Hunt was creepier and nastier than it had any right to be! I wouldn't want to be alone at night after watching the "Labyrinth" episodes (or a number of the other storylines, actually), which is quite an achievement for an animation, I think.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Lil Kis wrote:
Can anyone recommend Ghost Hound for a horror anime. I'm thinking about getting it but don't know if it's gonna be really scary or not. So is it?

While it does have some creepy parts, I wouldn't say it's primary genre is horror no. It's more of supernatural philosophical and psychological trip. It is well worth watching at any rate especially now that it's been rereleased dubbed.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
I would have to recommend Bokurano. It's not hack and slash/blood splatters all over the place type of horror, but it contains plenty of psychological horror. Plus its got a pretty disturbing storyline. The ending was kinda lame but I still recommend checking this title out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote
Since everything I was gonna recommend has already been said, I'll recommend Shiki. After Vampire Knight and all that crap that's come out lately, it's great to see an anime that actually makes vampires scary. The show does an awesome job of portraying the horror, as these new strange neighbors move into this small town, and slowly starting taking over all the local businesses, hospitals, etc. Also, the show has like zero plot armor. the minute you're sure who the hero is, they usually end up dying in the next episode or two. I personally think it's the best horror anime running right now.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend Mōryō no Hako, and Monster.

Mōryō no Hako synopsis: (Taken from wikipedia)

Police detective Kiba finds himself investigating a very strange case involving a girl hit by a train, her actress sister, and a sinister hospital shaped like a box. As the girl's friend's mother becomes obsessed with Mōryō, the police begin finding young girls' limbs strewn around the countryside in boxes.

Monster is about a doctor who pursues a murderer that he once rescued 9 years ago. It has psychological themes, and is pretty interesting.
[/b]
Animaniac007

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Even though this thread is a couple of years old...I'll put in my two cents. I just saw the trailer for Requiem from the Darkness and now, I'm too scared to watch the anime...lmao It's crazy how the animators of this series can make something that was originally innocent and cute into something so grotesque and frightening at the drop of a hat...
luffy0127

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
So far I have only seen Shiki. And I would say that it is something worth watching as well for anime genre that belongs to suspense/horror.

The story is well crafted and the pace of the story though there are times that it is very fast but there are also episodes that seems to slow down the flow of the story. The characters are great. And I love beautiful and handsome anime characters.
anime racket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
We all like different genres. Some like romantic comedies, others
prefer action series. Then there are those of us who enjoy being
woken up in the middle of night screaming from dreams of terror,
those known as horror fans.

As you can probably guess, I am one myself. My favorite is When
They Cry due to it's mysterious, dark feel, good writing and design,
and the fact that it doesn't pull punches.

So, what's your preferred poison?

[EDIT: Merged. -TK]
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Shiki is definitely my favorite horror anime. The mystery, the frightening atmosphere, the psychological horror of anticipation, and the brutal depictions of human nature. Shiki's the way to go when looking for horror.

When They Cry lost me by the middle of the first series, because the mystery and terrifying yandere element that grabbed me had pretty much disappeared. So, the show turned into this straightforward, weird, nut case festival that I couldn't even finish.

Monster comes in at a close second place. It's the most tension building thriller I've seen yet. Very awesome series. Check it out, if you haven't; ANN's streaming it now.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It is hard to beat Hell Girl. It seems a bit repetitive at first, but there has never been a villain protagonist as effectively creepy as Ai.
richter3456

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
When They Cry, XXXHolic, and I just finished Mushi-Shi. I'm pretty sure those are the only three horror anime I ever really watched. Although it really feels like there's more.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
richter3456 wrote:
XXXHolic

That's a Horror title? Who knew?

I liked it, though. It has one of the best older female leads in anime of that year. And she's cute in her own unique way -- a nice break from having to relate to a teenage girl.
Konopan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Anime doesn't do "horror" justice, for me at least.

Sure, there are some series I'd call "creepy", most of which I'd wager hail from around the early 2000s (Boogiepop Phantom in particular, along with other series that possess that murky sort of feel), but I find it really difficult to find any sort of terror-instilling scenario in animated works. Revulsion doesn't really cut it, and the blatant gore in some series is just awkward, or sometimes even hilarious (Here's to you, Blood-C.)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
You may just want to use this thread, it's the "official" Horror Recommendations thread...

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45173

^^^
(edit)
oops, should have been deleted years ago, after the merge.

Horror... Horror...
ugh. doesn't do much for me.

Now and Then, Here and There is maybe the most "horrific" anime I kinda like. If dystopian horror counts as horror.

For ghosts and ghouls type of haunting stories I rather like Ghost Hunt. Not gory, but good stories.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon May 13, 2019 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6