• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime would be a good basis for a big Hollywood film?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It is common knowledge that the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie was required viewing for the main leads of the Matrix trilogy, along with Akira and Ninja Scroll.

[citation needed]
legendfunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:

WOW that's cool. DiCaprio would fit well into a film like that. See the thing about anime is it's not like those shallow American action films but often has psychological and sentimental themes (say, Evangelion. It just wouldn't be the same if it's "Let's kill the evil Angels!!" and little beyond that.) so an actor who can really express them could even make an Oscar. Who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
It is common knowledge that the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie was required viewing for the main leads of the Matrix trilogy, along with Akira and Ninja Scroll.

[citation needed]

If you insist, though I fail to understand why you would want a citation. Don't trust me?

Wikipedia wrote:
Japanese director Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell was a strong influence. Producer Joel Silver has stated that the Wachowski brothers first described their intentions for The Matrix by showing him that anime and saying, "We wanna do that for real".[30][31] Mitsuhisa Ishikawa of Production I.G, which produced Ghost in the Shell, noted that the anime's high-quality visuals were a strong source of inspiration for the Wachowski brothers. He also commented, "... cyberpunk films are very difficult to describe to a third person. I'd imagine that The Matrix is the kind of film that was very difficult to draw up a written proposal for to take to film studios." He stated that since Ghost in the Shell had gained recognition in America, the Wachowski brothers used it as a "promotional tool".

Here is the entire entry.

The other two Anime films I noted (Akira and Ninja Scroll) were not mentioned in the article, but that is not to say I am incorrect about them. I merely wish to go to bed soon, and do not want to stay up late to hunt down information I already know.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

[citation needed]

I remember one of the Wachowski brothers saying they were influenced by GITS in an audio commentary. I can't remember if it was on one of the Matrix DVDs or the Animatrix DVD.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
Xeric wrote:
Humor me on this one. Bartender. I might be biased because I'd really enjoy a live action version of this anime. However, I think it would work very well as one of those multiple-intertwining-story movies that Hollywood puts out every so often. All the different stories from most of the episodes could be set in the same evening at Eden Hall. Of course the continuity would have to be tweaked and I'm sure some of the characters would have to be left out, but I think that what would be left, if done well, and faithful at least to the feel of the anime, would be an excellent live action movie.

Haven't seen that anime, but I read the entry for it here at ANN. It's interesting to note that when anyone thinks of doing a live-action film, they emphasise the ACTION part of it. Well, as I believe, anime is all about being DIFFERENT and nonconformist, so seing a comic slice-of-life thing may just well be the difference.

BTW people suggested it earlier but I'll throw Evangelion into the ring again. I mean, if they can do films on Marvel/DC comic superheroes (which I was never really interested in), as well as Transformers, why don't movie-makers cross the Pacific and check things out in Japan? Evangelion would be their match.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:30 am Reply with quote
I guess both Air Gear and Blood+ would both make good movies. Blood+ could take on the story of life after Saya, the story of her nieces growing up and fighting together against some new menace. In fact, I can think of a very good title for this one: Blood+:The Two Queens.
Just a thought.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Awesome! I think Blood + would be good in live action. But my dream would be to see a live action tv series adaptation done by the guy who did the new version of Battlestar Galactica.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Funny you should mention this as I picked up this Death Note spinoff novel (being set before the manga I assumed it wouldn't spoil all the stuff I've not seen/read yet bot oooh no) and was thinking how Johnny Depp is a shoe-in for L.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
legendfunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
sirgalahadthegreat wrote:
I guess both Air Gear and Blood+ would both make good movies. Blood+ could take on the story of life after Saya, the story of her nieces growing up and fighting together against some new menace. In fact, I can think of a very good title for this one: Blood+:The Two Queens.
Just a thought.

Air Gear? I'll pass on that, but I reckon Back-on's Chain would make good in an OST for a film. Blood+...I've only seen a few, but yeah, the mix of characters/gothic elements is interesting.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Funny you should mention this as I picked up this Death Note spinoff novel (being set before the manga I assumed it wouldn't spoil all the stuff I've not seen/read yet bot oooh no) and was thinking how Johnny Depp is a shoe-in for L.

I dunno, L has got to be the most hardest character to pin down. The fact that he's a genius, but a recluse and has some anti-social traits, plus the way he looks and sits and whatnot......Hollywood would easily screw it up by default.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
I think it's time to look Ol' skool

I think that the Gundam 0079 trilogy would be awesome in live action (besides I never could watch the Sub only movies bandai put out)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I dunno, L has got to be the most hardest character to pin down. The fact that he's a genius, but a recluse and has some anti-social traits, plus the way he looks and sits and whatnot......Hollywood would easily screw it up by default.

I would think that if there was a live action movie made, L would have to be played by a newcomer. Someone that is willing to take a chance of playing such a character.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I am thinking something like a human drama in a fantastic setting such as Planetes. Or a dark tale that could be adapted to be even darker like Blue Submarine No.6. Or for the psychological theme, maybe something like Interlude or Boogiepop. That last one though already has a J-movie. Le Portrait de Pettite Cossette could probably be adapted into a pretty decent horror movie. Please Teacher could be made into a decent enough comedy/drama, but that would never fly in America. While Armitage III would make an excellent scifi action flick.

When you think of this you have to think of what would transfer well onto film. You also have to think whether it would still be good if the script has had some massive re-writes. Because it will. So if you say no, chances are it won't turn out to be a good movie. Sure it would be great to see something like Gundam live action, but chances are that is something that is very easy to make mistakes with. Thats why if NGE ever gets made, it will be very interesting to see how it is handled. Sometimes there is a fine line between greatness and cheese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zilveari

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Beat Angel Escalayer 4 Live-Action!! now THAT would be interesting xD
legendfunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Zilveari wrote:
Beat Angel Escalayer 4 Live-Action!! now THAT would be interesting xD

Isn't that a hentai?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6