• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Library War.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
(Sounds like Fahrenheit 451 in the form of a romantic comedy.)

This simile makes my brain haemorrhage.

I think I really must see this anime. What's next? Fun and Games in Room 101 -- George Orwell's 1984 recast as light comedy?

- abunai

More Fun and Games Outside Room 101 will be the sequel, based on the infamous Brave New World.

(If you pay close attention in episode #17 1/2, you can see a copy of Othello laying next to Itsuki's bed when he's messing around with Minami-san!) Razz

(Instead of exiling you to the land of the Primitives, in this version, they send you to Survivor: Cannibal Island...or the isle of Battle Royale. Which is like Lord of the Flies....AUGH! The literary references go in circles!) Anime dazed
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
Well, I, for one, will definitely give this show a spin, if only because Inoue Marina is playing the lead. (Cue fanboy squee)

Ahem. Plus, the plot seems at least decently interesting. Looking forward to it.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
(Sounds like Fahrenheit 451 in the form of a romantic comedy.)

Sounds more like a better interpretation of the British Library from Read or Die.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
Check out the promos, guys. Loved 'em, personally. I can tell that I will like this series a lot, and those of you with doubts can finally decide what you think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
The promo was really good, and I know now more what I have to expect - and I am sure I will watch this, it seems great!
Anyhow, I thought the lead character was a boy. Ouch ^^
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:

That's what short hair does to a female character. Maybe they should've given her more defined lips like the other Production I.G female leads. It worked for Saya in Blood+, but then again she also wore a skirt in that show.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:

Heh, don't feel bad about it. One series this one is similar to in some aspects is Utena, where the main girl is trying to act like her prince. Although I haven't actually seen any of it yet (nor can I read Japanese), I'm assuming she wants us to think she's a boy. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
Labbes wrote:

That's what short hair does to a female character.

I thought she looked like a girl immediately. A very pretty girl with a cute hairstyle.

After seeing the promo, I'm a little less psyched about this. I didn't realize it would also be comedic in nature, so...I don't know, it just doesn't quite look like what I was hoping for. What was I hoping for? I don't really know...
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
After seeing the promo, I'm a little less psyched about this. I didn't realize it would also be comedic in nature, so...I don't know, it just doesn't quite look like what I was hoping for. What was I hoping for? I don't really know...

Seeing that it will also be comedic actually got me more interested in this show. I'm sure there will be other shows this season that I can watch for something that stays serious, but this show seems like it would be my fix for a good romantic comedy drama.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

I think it's going to be sort of a mix, like FMA was. Possibly mostly serious/dramatic with spot moments of humor. But quite honestly, I don't really know. I became more excited about the series after seeing the promo, but I do understand what you mean when you say you're not sure what you're looking for in the series (this just happened with me for another new series, Kyoran Kazoku Nikki).

Hopefully, if you still decide to try the show out, it will be to your liking. Anime smallmouth
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I'm assuming she wants us to think she's a boy. Smile

That's what I was thinking too, something along the lines of that she doesn't think she can get into the army unless she's a guy or whatever. Possibly we're looking at not only freedom of speech themes, but gender role themes as well?

Anyways, yeah, I'm one who wants to see it more now that I know it'll be more comedy friendly. I don't know, it just doesn't seem to me like the kind of series that needs to be taken 100% seriously all the time. Although I'm definitely liking the dramatic elements that might be present though, that should be good.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it sure took a long time for the fansubbers to sub this one, but finally!
Anyhow, I was looking forward to this series a lot and I have not been disappointed.

It uses a cell-shading optic, which gives it a very distinct look - I still think it would have been possible without, but who cares anyway? Smile
I love the characters and the interaction, it changes from funny to serious from time to time, but not in a rash kind of way. And the more "comic-like" scenes are just adorable. (When they are eating, for example)
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
A pretty good intro to the series, and so far I think it's a likable show. The style is interesting and nice to look at, and the two main characters are easy to love. It's a good break from watching something like Real Drive, certainly. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Definitely looking forward to more. And I hope this gets subbed faster! >=Y
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh it's out now? Coolness. It's about freaking time!

I'm going to have to check it out latter though since I'm currently in the library (go figure! Laughing ), but from the sound of things it should be pretty good. I'm really looking forward to it. Smile

I too hope it get's subbed faster than this though.....
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I liked what I saw in the first episode so far. I really like the character design, each character seemed interesting and well developed, and the main female lead came off more as a tall athletic girl than a manly woman. I can't say I really understand how this conflict between the Media Improvement Act and the Kantou Library Corps works out however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7