• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann Now Offered in Web Streams & iTunes Store

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
In a surprising twist, the stream appears to be region-free (at least, I can watch it in the UK, which is usually impossible for every other stream ANN has linked).
As for the dub itself, its pretty terrible. Definitely not worth waiting for the dual-audio DVDs IMO. I just hope the sub script is produced separately from the dub one as most of the innuendo has been cut, and some of the phrasing is really off ("That's how Team Gurren rolls"? Ugh).
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I dont see anything wrong with the dub. it seemed like they casted the characters preety well. didn't even think the acting itself was a problem. im glad ADV didn't get to keep it, you proably would have gotten a script that stayed true to their infamous constant use of foul language. as for Kamina, they portrayed him well as the gung ho hero type preety well i think. never caught the essence of a rush job either.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
As expected, most voiced FAIL. Especially Kamina. Not impressive at all. And was there REALLY a need to add "dumbass" instead of "fool"...... must they make Kamia a hilbilly? Yoko's voice is fine.
just because your fansubs said something different doesn't mean it's correct. "baka" is usually translated as either fool OR dumbass

also, the dub is good
reptilesandsamurai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
As expected, most voiced FAIL. Especially Kamina. Not impressive at all. And was there REALLY a need to add "dumbass" instead of "fool"...... must they make Kamia a hilbilly? Yoko's voice is fine.

I think that Kamina was missing his F*** You attitude from the original.
At least that is my opinion.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Simon's voice is spot on IMO. Much love for the second episode, when he went from pissed-off to wimp in three lines of dialogue. Yoko's is fine. I can live with it and I can feel her emotions, so no worries from me. Kamina's needs to drop some balls or something. It's a little higher pitched than I expected, but at some points during the second episode I started feeling some GARness.

Back on topic, I hope all this hype for Gurren catches in the West. Hopefully it won't be like Haruhi and sputter out (in DVD sales)...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Interesting. I saw both this and Now and Then, Here and There last night, but my sister missed them. I tried to record them for her on DVD, but messed things up and the quality turned out to be pretty much unwatchable. Heh, whoops.

The quality of the iTunes episodes seems pretty good, so I may actually buy those for her. >.>

Now I just need to find where I can get Now and Then, Here and There through legal means, if possible. >.>

If you still have a VCR lying around you can get all three NTHT tapes for under $10 at Amazon... or you could spend around $10 per DVD at Amazon.

Ah, actually, I just meant the first two episodes, and by download, so that she can get caught up for next week's episodes on SCI FI.
resurgam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Simon's voice is perfect.
Kamina isn't emphasizing the right syllables and words. It just seems to drop off.
Yoko's voice is fine.
Leeron's voice is disappointing. Do Heterosexuals think its amusing?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
blindcreator wrote:
Leeron's voice is disappointing. Do Heterosexuals think its amusing?

Very much so, and the homosexuals I know do too. Were you implying otherwise?
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
Was it necessary for the Sci-Fi stream to still have the sped up OP and ED? It's not like there are time constraints for the internet, but then again Adult Swim Video and Toonami Jetstream also both do the same thing and stream their edited versions.

As for the dub performances themselves, I thought overall they were great but I agree that Kamina's voice definitely needs more work.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if scifi was going to stream online. Thankfully, they are.

My problem is that they don't have a page of full episodes to choose from in the anime section.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Norbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
I looked for the show on itunes and couldn't find it. I'm calling from Australia, could this be why i couldn't find it? There has been so much talk about fans helping out the anime industry by not downloading free fansubbs from the internet but using legal means.
I'm trying but where are the shows?

Norbie
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:

Back on topic, I hope all this hype for Gurren catches in the West. Hopefully it won't be like Haruhi and sputter out (in DVD sales)...

What happened to Haruhi is like what happened to Snakes on a Plane. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2