• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to slam Funimation for milking their cash cow - shows like Dragonball help them stay in business and give them the funds to take risks on releases like Princess Jellyfish - but I do wonder how much these will actually sell. I just finished purchasing the Dragonbox sets and have also been collecting the Kai releases. There's no way I'm the slightest bit tempted to fork over money for another Dragonball release right now. I hear other poster complain about the same thing. I hope it does very well for them, but I'm curious about how many people are going to purchase these.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would want to listen to a bunch of burly men with the highest pitched voices imaginable..

Yes, because EVERY CHARACTER has a slightly higher-pitched voice, not just Goku and Gohan.

Norio Wakamoto? Ryo Horikawa? Totally high-pitched voices. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
Craddle15 wrote:
Sad that ANN allows terrible reviews like this. It's no wonder 90% of the anime community does not take ANN reviews seriously.

Even assuming that you're not exaggerating (which I think you are), 90% of the anime community doesn't take any site's reviews seriously unless the reviews are fanboy/girl raves and the readers are the same type of fanboys/girls.

Last edited by Key on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
People actually debate over whether the DBZ dub is better than the original Japanese? I don't understand why anyone would want to listen to a bunch of burly men with the highest pitched voices imaginable. I remember when I bought a Japanese copy of one of the DBZ games for Playstation. When I heard their original voices for the first time I was very confused.

Believe it or not, there are people in this world who didn't first encounter this franchise through an inaccurate English dub at age 8.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
Gasero wrote:
People actually debate over whether the DBZ dub is better than the original Japanese? I don't understand why anyone would want to listen to a bunch of burly men with the highest pitched voices imaginable. I remember when I bought a Japanese copy of one of the DBZ games for Playstation. When I heard their original voices for the first time I was very confused.

Believe it or not, there are people in this world who didn't first encounter this franchise through an inaccurate English dub at age 8.

This!

Let's not forget that it aired on the old International Channel in raw Japanese.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even assuming that you're not exaggerating (which I think you are), 90% of the anime community doesn't take any site's reviews seriously unless the reviews are fanboy/girl raves and the readers are the same type of fanboys/girls.

At least if, by some cosmically bleak chance, you get fired Key, you won't have to worry about finding work; ANN would just rehire as their entrepreneurial social comedian. Laughing

When it comes to early Funi dubs, you can't really criticize objectively (not that you can now...) since the times were different back then; it'd be like hating the modern Pokemon releases because it's dub is unprofessional.

But I have one question that did irk me about the review, do you really consider Kai as the better show given that it's mostly rehash and an incomplete one at that?

Quote:
I'm not going to slam Funimation for milking their cash cow - shows like Dragonball help them stay in business and give them the funds to take risks on releases like Princess Jellyfish

You'd think they'd surprise people with something quintessentially bold like Tatami G.
I'm not complaining since they re-released classics like Chobits but sometimes I wonder if they're playing it safe just a LITTLE too much.
The American Average

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm DBZed out I'm afraid every other month a same DBZ new box.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I thought I was reading a review on ANN, not FOX news. Confused
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

When it comes to early Funi dubs, you can't really criticize objectively (not that you can now...) since the times were different back then; it'd be like hating the modern Pokemon releases because it's dub is unprofessional.

The Pokemon dub is actually a lot more accurate than people tend to give it credit for, and the inaccuracies are largely "professionally handled" - rewrites are mostly done to throwaway lines, and the stuff that isn't is generally rewritten to give the same message in a funnier way. It does change the "comedic feel" to an extent, but the series has a quite loose and silly style in Japan too.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I hope it does very well for them, but I'm curious about how many people are going to purchase these.

The thing with DBZ is that it goes beyond just anime fans. A lot of people watched it as kids and teens. It was on TV with the dub when I was grade school and was fairly popular then, and then it was on TV for several years for the Funi dub, when it was REALLY popular. And now there's Kai, there's a whole new generation growing up with it.

A few weeks ago, I was somewhat shocked when my 4 year old cousin started doing a Kamehameha (it was adorable)...and then he was surprised to see me doing it right back at him. I didn't expect him to know the show, but then I realized Kai is on the air. And he didn't really expect a grown up to know who Goku was. For you and me and everyone else on this site, DBZ is just another anime purchase. For multiple generations of people, DBZ is a nostalgia purchase, like buying Transformers or Jem on DVD. And like you said, if that helps fund things like Princess Jellyfish...then keep the DBZ coming!
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
The English dub has it's own merits, but the Japanese voice track is infinitely better. It maintains the original humor and language puns in the script, it's dialogue is actually MUCH more enjoyably hammy than the English rewrite (rest assured, it IS a rewrite), and the vocal delivery is pitch perfect. Scott Schemmel does a good job of Goku as a stoic warrior, but doesn't properly convey the childlike innocence of the character by any means. Vegeta is appropriately menacing in English, but the nuances of his caring side are only noticeable in the original Japanese track. And Gohan sounds like a nasally ten year-old in earlier episodes... when he's supposed to be FIVE. Masako Nozawa absolutely nailed his progression as a character, whereas the English dub essentially gave him the same exact voice throughout his childhood, then a new one when he grew up. That, to me, was one of the biggest weaknesses of the English voice track.

Calling the classic voice track that's beloved by millions of people something worth a "C" grade is complete and utter sacrilege, and I'm usually one to respect others' differences in opinion. Here, I'm going to come out and blatantly say that Carl is absolutely, 100% wrong in his grade. By no means does this invalidate his worth as a critic, but it IS a failure to acknowledge what seems to be generally regarded as a classic voice track.

Sorry for the fanboy rant; I do acknowledge that the English dub is far from terrible, and a lot of work went into it. I just prefer watching this particular series subbed; I'm usually really open about dubbed shows, though.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I thought I was reading a review on ANN, not FOX news. Confused

What is this even supposed to mean?
Tsukento

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I like how every last complaint about the Japanese version's voice work HAS to go with the usual "Hurp durp, they all sound like women!" simply because they heard Goku, his sons and Kuririn. Yeah, totally disregard the others. On that same note, it's also humorous when you consider Freeza's original dub VAs had him sounding like a lizard-like granny that spouted the most horrible puns and awkward when heard out of context lines.

Really, DBZ's English dub is pretty bottom tier when compared to FUNi's other dubs. You can even see this when you compare it with the Dragon Ball Kai dub. If you want a GOOD performance of Goku by Sean, stick with Kai's dub. His performance is top notch there, while laughably awful in Z. Especially considering how he didn't re-record his lines for Seasons 3 and 4, which become really noticeable once you go from Season 2 to 3.

In fact, Kai's dub is probably the best way to experience DBZ in English since it's the most faithful version of it you'll get in that language.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I can hear the poor cow suffering in the farm. Laughing

By the way, is this dub in which Raditz says "Oh, excuse me, has anyone seen my arm?! Oh you can't miss it!! IT'S GREEN!!!" I loled a lot after seeing that overacting

Last edited by sainta on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tsukento

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Both versions of the English dub had that line. The redub overacted the scene greatly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4