• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pokemon: Diamond & Pearl Dub.DVD 1-2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I still get a kick out of the original Kanto episodes by virtue of nostalgia (and the fact that, y'know, they deal with Pokemon I actually know the names of, instead of the absurd amount now with mostly-abysmal character designs), but sitting through almost 20 episodes of the new stuff? You're a far braver man than I.
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with this review. I think an adult can come to appreciate this anime for what it is. I mean I'm 19 and I watch it regularly. I think it also comes naturally if you're an obsessive PKMN fan like me.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
archer9234 wrote:
No. Pokemon DP and BD remove 95% of the original JPN music and replace it with old 4kids music and a few new pieces. Only game battle music, team rocket motto, and some music they want to keep randomly, is retained.

Correct answer. Although, sometimes they've left up to 50% of the original music, but that's only happened once or twice.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
archer9234 wrote:
No. Pokemon DP and BD remove 95% of the original JPN music and replace it with old 4kids music and a few new pieces. Only game battle music, team rocket motto, and some music they want to keep randomly, is retained.

Correct answer. Although, sometimes they've left up to 50% of the original music, but that's only happened once or twice.

Yeah them keeping almost all the origional bg is rare. Only time that really comes to mind is the first episode PUSA dubbed.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
hamtaroboy2006 wrote:
I disagree with this review. I think an adult can come to appreciate this anime for what it is. I mean I'm 19 and I watch it regularly. I think it also comes naturally if you're an obsessive PKMN fan like me.

you must be obsessive because I agree with the reviewer whole heartedly. Unexpectedly, I really enjoyed the first season of Pokemon. When I was 12 years old I came home from school and watched it with my little brother and I have to say I had a lot of fun, because as dumb as the whole concept of pokemon kind of was some of the episodes were pure fun. I liked the episode with the giant pokemon, the squirtle squad, the attack of the prehistoric pokemon, and the episode where Misty celebrated girl's day and won that doll set in a contest. It was all fun, not the repetitive nauseam it is now. I think I was 15 or 16 when I finally called it quits, the repetitive recycled plots got to me, I missed Misty, and I wasn't taken with May or the coordinator aspect or the team aqua or magma aspect either (and certainly not the annoying tag along Max Rolling Eyes ) . In essence it stopped being fun. So no, any adult with a large number of living brain cells should find something else to do with their time. And if you're an avid fan of pokemon, skip the show and play the games, despite my distaste for the series now, the games are addicting and I make sure to play every one (even if I can no longer name all the pokemon anymore Wink ).
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
I kind of have to wonder why anyone who didn't like the series would go to the effort of reviewing 17 episodes of it. :/

Now personally, I'm a long time fan of the series, been watching since way back in the Kanto days, still watching today. And I have to say, I still love the show. A lot of untapped potential, but fun nonetheless. The dub could use with more of the Japanese music and maybe a bilingual DVD release, and the series in general could use a bit more plot development. Also, I'm wondering when they might ever consider dumping Ash, much as I love the character, 'bout time he became a Pokémon Master.

It's a shame that a lot of the Pocket Monsters manga series don't make it to western speaking audiences, there actually is a good amount of plot to some of them. (For example, Pocket Monsters Special, the first seven volumes of which were released as "Pokémon Adventures" by Viz many years ago.)

Although, that problem seems to be relieved a little in more recent times with the "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team" miniseries, manga adaptions of some of the movies and Shigekatsu Ihara's "Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl Adventure".
braves

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
I kind of have to wonder why anyone who didn't like the series would go to the effort of reviewing 17 episodes of it. :/

Because it's his job...? Confused

Anyways, I stopped watching Pokemon a long time ago, ever since they took it off the 3:00 pm time slot on Telemundo back in Puerto Rico. I haven't played one of the games in a while, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
hamtaroboy2006 wrote:

you must be obsessive because I agree with the reviewer whole heartedly. Unexpectedly, I really enjoyed the first season of Pokemon. When I was 12 years old I came home from school and watched it with my little brother and I have to say I had a lot of fun, because as dumb as the whole concept of pokemon kind of was some of the episodes were pure fun. I liked the episode with the giant pokemon, the squirtle squad, the attack of the prehistoric pokemon, and the episode where Misty celebrated girl's day and won that doll set in a contest. It was all fun, not the repetitive nauseam it is now. I think I was 15 or 16 when I finally called it quits, the repetitive recycled plots got to me, I missed Misty, and I wasn't taken with May or the coordinator aspect or the team aqua or magma aspect either (and certainly not the annoying tag along Max Rolling Eyes ) . In essence it stopped being fun. So no, any adult with a large number of living brain cells should find something else to do with their time. And if you're an avid fan of pokemon, skip the show and play the games, despite my distaste for the series now, the games are addicting and I make sure to play every one (even if I can no longer name all the pokemon anymore Wink ).

I have to disagree with you in some cases. While the Pokemon anime has changed somewhat dramatically from when it first started, it doesn't mean any adult who finds it still fun is stupid. Some people can adapt to change better, and some have a higher tolerance for repetetive plot-lines. Just because you stopped being interested in the newer series for Pokemon doesn't mean someone else can't find a positive side in it. Like Kakoishii said, some adult fans can still find something to appreciate about this series and enjoy it for what it is. A repetitive commercial for merchandise about cute/cool little monsters disguised as a harmless kids action/comedy anime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
This is a fair review. At this point, you either like the series or you don't.

I'm also glad that the reviewer saw Team Rocket in a positive light. Some fans hate that there's no sense of a true villain, but their comic relief is one of the few things that keep me watching the show.

And the original BGM is much better, for the record. PUSA's dub music seriously sucks. It's like they're using a $10 synthesizer.

Well I dont completely agree with the review.I would've given it a B- instead of a C. Sure the music is really bad,but the series isn't,though it would've been better if they kept the old dub VA,kept hikari's japaneese name and at least use the original opening as well as have a sub version to please harcore fans and end those annoying fansubs cause just like with one piece those fansubs is preventing the series from getting any better. and unless there is a sub version,i have a bad feeling this series that i have watched for the last 10 yrs will end up losing interest to it's core fans cause of those fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Well I don't completely agree with the review.I would've given it a B- instead of a C. Sure the music is really bad,but the series isn't,though it would've been better if they kept the old dub VA,kept hikari's japaneese name and at least use the original opening as well as have a sub version to please harcore fans and end those annoying fansubs cause just like with one piece those fansubs is preventing the series from getting any better. and unless there is a sub version,i have a bad feeling this series that i have watched for the last 10 yrs will end up losing interest to it's core fans cause of those fansubs.

Keeping Hikari's Japanese name isn't exactly a choice of the anime department. After all, there's these games on a thing called the Nintendo DS which they have to be consistant with. (Besides, even if they did keep her Japanese name, Ash Ketchum, Brock and Hikari? It's kind of the odd one out in that case.)

And I'm somewhat confused by what you're saying about fansubs limiting the series somehow. Fansubs aren't what's hurting One Piece, it's the memory of the 4Kids dub and CN's removal of the series from it's lineup. And Pokemon in general has very few fansubs. (And often, the ones that there are, are of random episodes.)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
When the entire 500-plus-episode run of this series has been nothing more than a means of getting children's parents to buy games, cards, and other assorted merchandise, I don't see how anything above a C could be justified. The Pokemon anime is a marketing tool, has always been a marketing tool, and will always be a marketing tool, and though I hold a great deal of nostalgia for that first span of episodes I watched when I was much younger, I've long since realized that they hold very little quality in an objective sense. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how in the world anyone could have possibly sat through all 500-plus of said episodes without being driven utterly insane. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2