• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ga-Rei-Zero (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I got an idea. I am going to separate myself as the person who still thinks that the anime that is broadcasting now on television has something to do what is in the manga, and that its still too early to form a decision on whether this anime is still worth it. Although, looking at the episodes thus far (having to see the third episode), it seems the anime has a purpose in having some sort a relation to manga.
In what I have noticed from the bunch that saw this anime is that, there have been numerous 'WTF' post that I have seen from people and gave up on it as if saying, 'Well, that was utterly pointless.' In the belief that I could say in close to a term as a 'WTF' moment is when everything that I saw and offered to me until the end was utterly pointless. So, that is why I also think it has potential.
In a matter of which I have observed, concerning the 'WTF' moment allotted to my friends, most of them have never seen or read the manga. Therefore, the villain was not known to them before hand, and unlike some that includes myself , we treated the first episode as a prologue of the series. It also explains why the main character(s) are introduced in the second episode.
To my speculation in what information that I have accumulate so far, this animated series could be some sort of prequel, in short~ spoiler[a story behind to why the character Yomi becomes a demon].
I very much think that, Gai-Rei is an anime for people to watch if you have already read the manga; or else people can get lost of what is going on really fast. I am actually glad that I saw the third episode, because it gave me some profile of the characters, and forward ahead in my speculation of what this series might turn out to. Besides, I think the third episode was pretty necessary for redeeming some of the time taken away from all the action from the previous episodes.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen ep3 yet, but this show defintiely keeps you guessing. I think the visuals are really stylish, and the characters are interesting (although the constant reuse of the same enemies is excessive). I don't know if I can really say I dig the plot yet though, although it seems to be settling down a bit (spoiler[at least this episode didn't feature a complete party wipe]).
furizaa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I gave it one last chance, and unfortunately, I no longer have interest in this show. I can tell that the direction of the show is going to be leading up to what happened in the first two episodes, which seems kinda filler-y, considering we already know what happens to spoiler[Yomi]. Episode really wasn't that interesting at all, and spoiler[the big naked guy who made the weapons] really creeped me out. I guess I'll drop this show for now, unless I start hearing good things about it in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
So episode 4 has spoiler[confirmed yuri between Yomi and Kagura?!! I approve of this direction!] Embarassed

Though that tagline in the OP sequence and the 2nd episode just.....ugh. Mad
spoon89

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
After watching episode 3, i thought that this anime has potential, its very different from the Manga but i get the feeling it would be better. It is already obvious that the cool looking guy in the first episode is not the protagonist unfortunately and it is more than obvious that Tsuchimiya Kagura is the main character of this anime.
bloodymanhell123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Hi I'm new here.

Its currently on episode 5, although I can follow the storyline from 2-5, what happened to the dramatic character change from episode 1? I still can't connect how the characters in episode 1 to have anything to do with episode 2 and onwards. Anybody have an explanation?

The whole cast got killed in episode 1... I thought they were the main characters for this anime. I also thought it would eventually connect with the rest of the storyline, but judging from that they don't appear whatsoever in the current opening theme confuses me what their purpose is for in the first episode. Waste a whole episode to introduce viewers on the power of Yomi or does it really link with the storyline later on?

I don't mind spoilers based on the questions I've asked above, so please feel free to post about it. I'm just STILL very confused after 1 month.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
bloodymanhell123 wrote:
Hi I'm new here.

Its currently on episode 5, although I can follow the storyline from 2-5, what happened to the dramatic character change from episode 1? I still can't connect how the characters in episode 1 to have anything to do with episode 2 and onwards. Anybody have an explanation?

The whole cast got killed in episode 1... I thought they were the main characters for this anime. I also thought it would eventually connect with the rest of the storyline, but judging from that they don't appear whatsoever in the current opening theme confuses me what their purpose is for in the first episode. Waste a whole episode to introduce viewers on the power of Yomi or does it really link with the storyline later on?

I don't mind spoilers based on the questions I've asked above, so please feel free to post about it. I'm just STILL very confused after 1 month.

We can consider the first two episodes as "present-day" for the series, while the most recent three, episodes 3 through 5, are a flashback to the relationship of the two girls prior to what we saw in the first episodes. spoiler[These are the same two girls that are trying to kill each other in episode 2]

It's really kind of hard to see who is the main character at this point, so I don't think you can blame yourself on that one. More than likely, if I had to guess, it's one (or both) of the two girls... spoiler[whichever one lives?] Or maybe there isn't one central character, and the story is about the plight of the defense force against the demons. The series is kind of strange right now though because it's hard to see exactly where it's going at the moment. How long will this flashback last anyway, we're at three episodes and counting... I'm still enjoying it though, and I'll keep watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:

It's really kind of hard to see who is the main character at this point, so I don't think you can blame yourself on that one. More than likely, if I had to guess, it's one (or both) of the two girls... spoiler[whichever one lives?] Or maybe there isn't one central character, and the story is about the plight of the defense force against the demons.

You're almost there. If you fee like it, there's the manga, which you can look for. It should make you feel better who are the (true) characters you are looking for in the animated series.

Is there anybody else here that believes that Gai-Rei-Zero takes place before the manga?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
There was actually a bit of of a joke played by the studio. The episode 1 characters were initially billed as the main characters, to much complaining from manga fans. After spoiler[they all died at the end of the first episode] the site was updated with the "real" main characters. If you notice, the series had no opening for the first couple of episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
bloodymanhell123 wrote:

The flashback, which will make up the bulk of the series, will lead back to where episode 2 left off. I know the first two episodes threw quite a curveball, but I'm not seeing what's so confusing. Kagura and Yomi were pretty significant in episode two and then episode three is a different, clearly earlier, timeframe showing how they met.

The purpose of the characters in the first episode where mainly to pull a giant WTF at the end, though I figure some of the stuff they briefly flashed back to with Yomi and the mysterious young man that she was urging the guy to kill may play a role

larinon wrote:

It's really kind of hard to see who is the main character at this point, so I don't think you can blame yourself on that one.

I think its pretty clear that Kagura and Yomi are the main characters. And if you couldn't figure that out from watching the actual show, the OP sequence should make it pretty evident.

Also, spoiler[the leader of the team that got offed in episode one was hanging out and drinking coffee with the other team in episode 5.]

Quote:
How long will this flashback last anyway, we're at three episodes and counting... I'm still enjoying it though, and I'll keep watching.

I expect the flashback to last for most of the remainder of the show. I figure the last episode or two will continue where episode 2 left off.
Otakumann

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I was really disapointed by this series. My friend was telling me that it was amazing, but, honestly, it's garbage. The character design was weak, the animation was so-so, and the CG for the monster was terrible. I made myself watch, even though I knew it was not going to get any better. The ending of the first episode might have shocked some people, but it really didn't make much of an impact on me.
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
After a mediocre first impression, this show has actually skyrocketed to the top of my list out of the 10 or so shows I'm watching this season.

The first cast of characters seemed very typical and boring to me: once the flashback episodes began, everything seemed to fall into place. I love the brutal nature of the show, and the fact that you know what is coming eventually only gives the whole thing a wonderful sense of dread: every time you see Kagura and Yomi so happy together, all you can think of is how it, somehow, is all going to come crashing down in flames. It's like seeing two cars heading towards each other in a head-on collision. You know it's going to be awful but you can't look away. I love shows like this.. it feeds my dark side.

Also, I'm a person who tends to notice music in shows a lot, and this show has /fantastic/ music. The OP and ED are good, but I'm talking about in the background of the episodes. The scene in ep. 5 where Yomi and ferret-guy face off is one such example. I must have re-watched that little part like 10 times just to hear the awesome use of bgm.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I'm going to beat myself up for not doing my usual episodic impressions for this series! Mad

The recent subbed version of episode 8 is definitely going to start converging into the events that led to what happened in episode 2. spoiler[Mei is back from the dead thanks to that shota boy with the butterflies, and we got some pretty kickass action scenes between her and Yomi (that song that was playing in the background was pretty good). In the end, Yomi was able to defeat her. Interestingly enough, that Death Stone that was embedded in Mei started to lose its effect, and it seemed that she was going back to normal. Whether or not Yomi realized it, she killed her anyways.

After the ED credits, that boy appeared again and rained a bunch of spikes onto Yomi! NOOOO, YOMI!!! Crying or Very sad]

I am still clinging hope for a Yomi x Kagura ending on one of the accounts I'm getting yuri deprived in the non-hentai anime front. And not to mention this:

Quote:
-the original plan by the producers was to tell Yomi’s backstory, about how she became an evil spirit etc so consider the anime a prequel of sorts
-they have the blessing of the mangaka Segawa Hajime to tell their own story, and there is no planned overlap of plot between manga and anime

I'm interpreting it as the producers are not making this series a "total" prequel of the manga so anything can go in the ending.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
The latest episode (10?) has caught back up to the "present time".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
siken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
Little old to be saying this but the first episode reminded me of boogiepop phantom (sorry if I spelled it wrong) and also the fact that the flashback skiped my mind. I like the anime and I'm looking very foward to see what Chara will become like. I haven't read the manga so -shrugs.-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3