• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds The Venus Wars Science-Fiction Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bamble

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Considering Venus Wars' and every other classic anime title that Discotek are doing amazing justice to, I'm half-seriously considering hooking them up directly with my bank account! Keep 'em coming guys! Smile
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I missed a chance to get this when RightStuf had a few copies in stock a while back so, I will buy this when released
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Very nice! This announcement put a grin on my face. Thank you Discotek.

Next thing you know they'll announce they've added Green Legend Ran.... *fingers crossed*
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
I do have quite a few ex-CPM titles in my collection, between both the rescued shows and the stuff that's still in limbo:

--Animation Runner Kuromi OVAs 1 and 2
--Patlabor TV (They just don't make anime like this anymore!)
--Cyber City Oedo 808 (Why don't they make dubs like that anymore?)
--A Wind Named Amnesia (Forgotten classic. Love it to death.)
--Harmagedon
--All of Project A-Ko
--Now and Then, Here and There
--Genocyber ([As Roger from American Dad] The dub. One word: Hilarious.)
--Battle Skipper
--Darkside Blues
--Silent Service
--Mask of Zeguy
--RG Veda
--Arcade Gamer Fubuki (Mainly because Justin Sevakis hates it. How would he react to someone having it?)
--The first three seasons of Slayers
--Domain of Murder
--Garzey's Wing (See Fubuki)
--They Were 11 (One of the best movies of all time)
--The Tokyo Babylon OVAs (Regret ever having not seen them before the X/1999 movie. Now I'm glad I have all of the old X-related stuff!)
--The MD Geist movies (fudge what Justin says! MD Geist is a timeless classic! Its music is brutally awesome! Imagine if Dethklok's music was used in anime! That's how MD Geist is! None of this J-pop in today's anime! The mecha and character designs? Grimy and gritty. It avoids anything cute. You just can't do moë to MD Geist! The story is short and to the point. No shounen filler here, kiddies!)
--Alien Nine (Now if I could track down the manga cheap enough...)
--Odin: Starlight Mutiny (This is THE anime to watch while stoned!)
--Legend of Lemnear (Veronica Taylor has mad bare range!)
--Descendants of Darkness
--The Heroic Legend of Arslan (It really needs a remake or more episodes, all dubbed by the British voice actors.)
--Virgin Fleet
--Roujin Z
--The World of Narue

CPM could have avoided this if they just sold the company to, say, FUNimation.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
I really, really enjoyed Venus Wars, and while I am glad to own the CPM DVD, it's in sorry need of a remaster (not the prettiest thing on a big screen HDTV). I'll certainly be looking for Discotek's release when it comes out.

On a related note, BEI's release of Gundam F91's the same and given how well-animated that was, it would be great to see the remaster of that here (yes, I know…). But if anything ever needed a remastered release badly, it's His and Her Circumstances. In spite of its visual inventiveness, the video quality of it is downright awful
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:46 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
CPM could have avoided this if they just sold the company to, say, FUNimation.

A ton of those titles had already expired by the time they filed for bankruptcy. That's why only a few of them were broadcast by Starz/Manga and later distributed for them by ADV. Plus, it was unlikely that anyone in R1 would have wanted to assume CPM's debts for so few titles and relatively few assets.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Good news,indeed! I remember catching part of this movie on the tele once, and wanting to see more of it.

Quote:
Discotek's release will have a remastered anamorphic transfer with English dubbing...

Three of my favourite words: "remastered", "English dubbing" This will be going on my "Purchase" list. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
A lot of people actually didn't like this that much when it was airing on the Sci-Fi Channel. Not many people discussed much about it...............
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
Not a big fan of Venus Wars. The art is fantastic, really great stuff, but the characters...man I hated those characters to the point of hoping they all died in the end, Windaria style.

But Discotek, you rock. The more old classics get released, the better.

\\Did they all die in the end? I can't remember.
\\\The female reporter was particularly noxious.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
...if they manage to procure Dr. Slump, Kinnikuman, Tiger Mask or any of the Go Nagai shows from the 70's, then they will own my soul.

(quoted for emphasis)

The thing with Dr. Slump (especially the 1981-1986 original) is, only Funimation could really acquire this in the end because of the Dragon Ball connection: both manga were originally by Akira Toriyama, and both anime were made by Toei. Oh yeah, and the Dr. Slump characters have a three episode guest appearance in Dragon Ball (a crossover that also happens in the manga as well). However, we may have to be careful what we wish for, especially when it comes to a possible TV broadcast, but I don't want to get off topic.

I wonder if it would be possible for them to release the original Mach Go Go Go (i.e., in it's original Japanese)? It's not like Lionsgate has exclusive rights to it or anything. I mean Speed Racer Enterprises (who has all non-Japanese int'l rights to the show) could license (either version of) the show to anybody they wanted.

If Media Blasters can't do it, maybe (just maybe, mind you) Discotek could release the original Sei Jushi Bismarck. With all due respect to World Events Productions, they (WEP) messed that show up even more than they did Golion and Dairugger XV. "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs" is simply too different from the original Japanese version, and I think it's only fair that everyone gets to see what the show is really all about, especially since the Japanese member of the team is the real leader.

Tekkaman (the original, not Blade), had an English dub once, but it was cancelled halfway through. Maybe Discotek could acquire and release that show (in its original Japanese with all the episodes, of course).

I suppose any of the "Force Five" shows might be something for them to consider (again though in their original Japanese).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You all realize that the "English dub" for this new Venus Wars DVD is probably going to be the previously existing one, right?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Hope this works out for Discotek, because it'd be great to see a company succeed while focusing on older, left-behind titles like this one. And although it's probably been, geez, 15 years since I last saw this, I can remember liking it.

Hopefully up next: E.Y.E.S. of Mars and/or Roujin Z.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bamble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You all realize that the "English dub" for this new Venus Wars DVD is probably going to be the previously existing one, right?

Of course; all the dubs on Discotek anime releases have been pre-existing productions. In Venus Wars' case, this is a bonus, since one of the voices is Peter Marinker.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Man, if Discotek keeps this up, they might be my most favorite licenseor ever. Keep the old hits coming guys, I love stuff like this. Maybe some older mecha titles. Dancouga perhaps?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:

Of course; all the dubs on Discotek anime releases have been pre-existing productions. In Venus Wars' case, this is a bonus, since one of the voices is Peter Marinker.

I totally forgot that Marinker is in it!

He was a great Gotoh in the Patlabor movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
With all this hullabaloo about getting back a lot of old CPM titles, it's about high time we see a special Blu-Ray edition of "Harmageddon" and "The Humanoid", am I right?

Anybody? Anybody? ;D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4