• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sometimes I think the Amestrian military is the most incompetent fighting force in fiction.

And then you remember how the Imperial Stormtroopers acquitted themselves during the Battle of Endor . . . . . .
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Sometimes I think the Amestrian military is the most incompetent fighting force in fiction.

And then you remember how the Imperial Stormtroopers acquitted themselves during the Battle of Endor . . . . . .

At least the Stormtroopers shoot, even if they miss. Here we had a bunch of armed troops just standing around, not shooting the mass murderer.

I guess you can argue, though, that they hadn't really been given orders to shoot. But that's when you start to question the competence of Mustang.

It is fiction, though. I mean, I could probably hand wave it a little. I've hand waved sillier things. But it gets more ridiculous later when you consider spoiler[Ishbalan warrior-priests are easily able to disarm any soldier before they can fire a gun. ]

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
At least the Stormtroopers shoot, even if they miss. Here we had a bunch of armed troops just standing around, not shooting the mass murderer.

Yeah, but the Amestrian military never lost to teddy bears.

On another note, it is nice to hear the dub is improving. Too bad the writing doesn't actually start getting good (as opposed to not-bad) for another five episodes or so (the exact number is highly debatable though).
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

They are nowhere as bad as Britannia, at least with Amestris you get most of the Ishval war flashback, and the fact that the good guys are insanely competent.

Compare that with Britannia where they pratically stand their and wait 5 minutes for Lelouch to walk up to them and just geass them to kill themselves, or what about how the Knights of the Round get their ass kicked everytime they take the field.

The only thing Britannia is good for is causing war crimes.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Not yet.

But I hear they're working on a teddy bear army in Drachma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

You just wait. Come the first dawn of Spring, the sky will run black, Briggs's bear chimera army will descend upon the foolish masses of Central and we'll see who has the last laugh.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
I'll be sitting out on the rants for awhile, I'm sure Jesu will be in-depth enough for the both of us. The next few episodes are sorta...boring, then get terrible again(Poor Greed, man) and then FINALLY does the silver lining peek through. @-@

Also, is it just me, or does Ed look kind of weird with wet, wavy hair? I can't decide if it makes him look adorable or girly.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. I hate what they've done to Doctor Marcoh's voice. Brice Armstrong's performance in the first series was one of the few I really liked, and it doesn't even sound like him anymore.

Whereas previously it had sounded a bit more like Marcoh had this authoritative, but weathered quality to his voice, now he just sounds terribly weak and feeble. I can understand going in that direction for this series, but the previous voice would have worked just as well.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Every time Marcoh appeared in the subs, I always imagined how Brice Armstrong might do the scene. Guess that won't happen now, but I warmed up to the new voice quickly enough. It arguably fits better for this version, but I'll shut up before I go into spoiler territory.

Even though it was mostly exposition, I thought Pinako's VA nailed that scene with Armstrong.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
He sounds weak and feeble to you? He just sounds like a cranky old man to me, though I agree the Brice Armstrong was one of the strong points, and it's one of the reasons why I hated how they handled Marcoh in the first series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
I guess I should comment on some of the other performances.

I never liked Caitlin Glass as Winry, but I don't know now, because she doesn't see quite as bad in this episode as I recall her being.

Pinako's English VA has always been fairly solid. I'm looking forward to hearing her again when Hohenheim comes into the picture.

One of the best parts in episode 6 is how beautiful the town Marcoh has been living in is. It really is gorgeous. You don't see it again, unfortunately, but it's been some of the best art in the series. Makes me want to live there myself.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Major Armstrong is gold. Thank you Chris Sabat.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Every time Marcoh appeared in the subs, I always imagined how Brice Armstrong might do the scene. Guess that won't happen now, but I warmed up to the new voice quickly enough. It arguably fits better for this version, but I'll shut up before I go into spoiler territory.

Even though it was mostly exposition, I thought Pinako's VA nailed that scene with Armstrong.

...?

I'm confused. I thought Brice Armstrong WAS playing Marcoh this time...so...it's different?

I missed it, so I don't know. Did they just have him doing some sort of regional accent or...? I wasn't aware they had recast it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote
I was hoping you had quit watching this series. The voice is clearly not as deep as Brice's voice.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I wish I had paid attention to the credits. Whoever is playing him, this Marcoh sounds a bit different from the previous one.

For the record, the ANN page lists Marcoh as Brice Armstrong, but I'm not sure how accurate that is at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 28