• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Congratulations Richard, your post is the 1600th of the thread!
I was told there was a prize. Gimme. Anime smile

How about, you have eternal respect and devotion. Is that a good prize?

Congratulations to the other members for making this thread so successful and last so long!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Congratulations Richard, your post is the 1600th of the thread!
I was told there was a prize. Gimme. Anime smile

Ah yes, I quite forgot about it. I'll be sending off my autograph to you really soon Cool

suna_suna wrote:
if Tohru spoiler[is a mother to yuki, then Kakeru is really his first real friend. you can see it when he goes around the school. other students greatly respect and admire him, but Kakeru is the first one to really approach him as an equal.]

I see it now but was confused, spoiler[Kakeru is his first REAL friend while Hatsuharu was his first love] Wink Can you imagine all the dojinshi that probably came from that anyway? Shocked
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
How about, you have eternal respect and devotion. Is that a good prize?
Actually yes! Anime catgrin

fighterholic wrote:
Ah yes, I quite forgot about it. I'll be sending off my autograph to you really soon Cool
Sweet. I can use that to get me out of tight situations. Cool

And yes, scary lot of doujinshi must have come out of that exchange. (This is assuming Fruits Basket doujinshi exists. Personally, I'm not willing to investigate. The characters are too real to me to seek out that kind of material.)

Closest thing I've got is a slightly fanservicey image of Tohru with Kyo and Yuki in their animal forms. It's equal parts cute and yummy.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Well, after all that talk about Yuki, let's move on to his brother.

This week we're delving into the Mabudachi Trio -- Shigure, Ayame and Hatori.

These three couldn't be more different. spoiler[Shigure's a selfish schemer, Hatori's overly serious and consumed by work, and Ayame's a flake who lives in his own little world. Despite their personalities and their personal demons, they're always there for each other, trying to cheer each other up and sometimes even fix each other up. They're best friends even though they drive each other crazy a majority of the time. ]

As usual, I could go on but I'll save some comments for later. I look forward to reading your posts.

As an aside, I just wanted to mention that I'm about 1 volume away from finishing a complete re-read of the whole series. It's the first time I've read the entire thing in one stretch (It's taken about two weeks). I have to say, the flashbacks and the foreshadowing about the ill events in the characters lives have a lot more punch this time through because I can recognize the events referenced and the emotions associated with them, even though neither had been fully explained at that point. I hope that made sense to you. I'm not sure it did to me. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
And yes, scary lot of doujinshi must have come out of that exchange. (This is assuming Fruits Basket doujinshi exists. Personally, I'm not willing to investigate. The characters are too real to me to seek out that kind of material.)

Too late. I found some on ebay, though not any yaoi stuff which is good, but don't let out a sigh of relief just because I didn't find. I have no doubt in my mind that Kyo/Yuki, Yuki/Kakeru or Yuki/Hatsuharu dojinshi exist. However, I did find and I'll put them in spoilers so that nobody gets shocked: spoiler[Kyo/Tohru, Kisa/Hatsuharu, Kisa/Shigure. ]The first I can understand because that's eventually what happens, but the other ones I mean c'mon Shocked

Anyways, I think that the mabudachi trio with their own distinctive personalities spoiler[bring about a balance to society and whatsoever within the Zodiac (at least their part Laughing ) They're all the same age, but they've all been able to go through life with each other, and obviously look after the younger ones as well. They also look out for each, having to know also some of the same secrets, though Ayame I think tends to just let it slide since he was able to get out of the Sohma household. ]

A lot of the stuff that happened I could see spoiler[didn't really bother him that much, because it probably wasn't a lot of his business to begin with. He stayed out of it which probably saved him a lot of trouble. Plus he was able to spend time with Mine, his assistant. In the end even with all that happened, I think Ayame had his role in the series well diminished.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
Ah! The Great Three.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hatori has his hands quite full in just dealing with Ayame and Shigure let alone everything else he deals with. That being said, I think that he spoiler[is also protected by Ayame and Shigure. They know the tremendous pain that he has gone through. To the point where they got him out of town when Kana got married. And even though Ayame asked Hatori if he wanted to see the wedding pictures, it was obvious that Ayame really didn't want him to look. It is also very clear that Ayame really dislikes Kana. I think it's because he feels/felt that she was weak and failed Hatori when Akito attacked him.

Shigure, on the other hand, goes straight for Hatori's heart. Using Mayu. He knows damn good and well that Mayu was more attracted to Hatori but didn't do/say anything because he was "Kana's Guy." And now he's remidying the situation. I think that fixing Hatori up with Mayu at this time is also his way of apoligizing to Hatori for the stress and pain he's putting Hatori through right now with Shigure's idea on how to break the curse.]

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that Hatori's a wuss. He does get even with Shigure quite often. Remember the shot? Razz And when Ayame gets too excited and over the top, he just puts the phone done and keeps working while Ayame's babbling goes in one ear and out the other.

They are perhaps the most perfect trio of friendship that has ever been created.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Too late. I found some on ebay, though not any yaoi stuff which is good, but don't let out a sigh of relief just because I didn't find. I have no doubt in my mind that Kyo/Yuki, Yuki/Kakeru or Yuki/Hatsuharu dojinshi exist. However, I did find and I'll put them in spoilers so that nobody gets shocked: spoiler[Kyo/Tohru, Kisa/Hatsuharu, Kisa/Shigure. ]The first I can understand because that's eventually what happens, but the other ones I mean c'mon Shocked
That's. . . just wrong. Not my precious sweetie. No. Anime cry

Moving on from those images that I really didn't need in my head, the Trio: I've always kind of seen them as an equation. (Okay, that sounds weird, but let me explain!)

Ayame is hyper and extroverted. Add to him Hatori, who is quiet and introverted. The result is Shigure, who is both and neither at the same time. Shigure is in my mind the link between the two polar opposites. He can do the whole "we are so Yaoi guys!" joking with Ayame one minute and then turn around and be Mr. Calculating man to play off of Hatori's obvious intelligence the next. Even though they are also bonded by spoiler[knowing the truth about Akito being God and a woman and so on], Shigure seems to me to be their real bond.

As LydiaDianne rightly pointed out, they all take care of each other. Also, I think they provide each other with feedback that helps them to be better people. Ayame's transformation into a real brother (such as he manages) toward Yuki is in many ways a result of advice from Shigure and Hatori, though Ayame doesn't always take it the way they intended.

Hatori's slow realization that he doesn't have to be alone just because spoiler[he had to erase Kana's memories and let her slip away] has only been possible because of Shigure's matchmaking and Ayame's wild exuberance pushing him back out into the world.

And surely Shigure is only willing to take such extreme steps to spoiler[break the curse] because he knows he has friends who will support him, no matter how far he must go. I severely doubt that Shigure could so willing risk his own happiness and that of others if they weren't around to support him. Hatori clearly doesn't agree with his methods but he's still there for him.

I'm just at the point where the manga is here in the land of Starbucks and Walmart, but I hope that things will end well for these three. Each has contributed in their own special way toward sparing the new generation of Sohmas the pain and mistakes of their generation.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah! The wondermous Mabudachi Trio! Hooray!

First, I have a question. What, do you all think, is the significance of the title "Mabudachi" Trio? I know the literal translation, which is...questionable...sounding, but I have to wonder if there's some cultural pun or reference I'm not getting as to why Yuki and Kyo were so off-put by the idea of them being called that. Do you all know?

Anyway, these three are all good for each other in different ways, aren't they?

Shigure --> Ayame: He entertains his flamboyant side and lets him be foolish and a jokester where others would blink and stare. I know Mine understands him more than most, but she can't quite fill the blank of best-bud joking these two enjoy.

Shigure --> Hatori: He really watches out for Hatori's best interests when Hatori is consumed with thinking of others and is really wearing himself down. Despite the fact that his joking with Ayame is, you know, a prime source of frustration and embarrassment for Hatori, almost every other moment he's looking out for Hatori's health, his emotional stability, and the way to best make him happy as Hatori desires so much for others.

Hatori --> Ayame: As Shigure is the "say one thing, mean another" decietful trickster of the bunch, and Ayame is totally disillusioned, I like to see Hatori as the voice of reason for both of them. He speaks the truth, and makes no bones about it, but he's relatively kind, considering. When Ayame spoiler[so badly hurt his high-school admirer, it was Hatori who spoke up and brought him out of his kingly stupor to show him that his demeanor hurts people just as much as it entertains, and would Ayame have the responsibility to clean up after the messes he makes with people's emotions? Of course not. Not until years later, when it scarcely matters anymore. The same holds true for Yuki.] It's for this and his constancy that Ayame admires him so much. Shigure entertains Ayame, but Hatori betters him.

Hatori --> Shigure: Conversely, Hatori often warns Shigure against spoiler[his constant manipulations of the innocent. Hatori knows that Shigure lives by "the end justifies the means," and while he can respect that a little, as it's the opposite of how he lives, he's almost the guardian for Shigure's soul. He warns him when Shigure has taken a step too far in his manipulation of Tohru's affect on Akito and the curse. Given Shigure's stubbornness, it doesn't change much, no, but combined with Mayu's chidings in the same vein, it keeps Shigure grounded in comparing what he's doing to what he's after, and how far is too far.]

Ayame --> Shigure: Same relationship, really, although I think Shigure gets more of a perverse pleasure out of getting a rise out of people through their shenanigans than Ayame does. Ayame just does it to be himself.

Ayame --> Hatori: Similar to Shigure's relationship, but Shigure is more of an "action" guy, actively taking steps to better Hatori's well-being. Ayame takes the blunter approach of speaking directly to Hatori about what's best for him, pandering directly to Hatori's heart with hot tea and odd metaphors. He really looks up to Hatori, doesn't want him to change, and wants him to be happy the way he is. It's shweeeeet. Razz
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Hatori spoiler[having to better Ayame is definetly something I agree on. Ayame looks up to Hatori for encouragement and advice, and always lets him know how things are going for him when he has good news. ESPECIALLY when it comes to trying to mend his relationship with Yuki.] But whenever Shigure and Ayame are together, you know are in for a riot Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The first volume of Takaya Natsuki's new series, Hoshi wa Utau! I picked this up myself not to long ago, and I think that she designed our new heroine beautifully. The story revolves around spoiler[our main character living with her cousin who seems to be not liked by locals, and she encounters a man who claims to know her, but she cannot remember from where. And this is what follows, her trying to find the man and who he is,] or at least for the first volume. Can't wait to see what the second volume is like. Already have seen some Kyo-like and Saki (Hanachan)-like traits in some of the supporting characters Laughing
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
It's for this and his constancy that Ayame admires him so much. Shigure entertains Ayame, but Hatori betters him.

I think this is the reason why Ayame only listens to Hatori, because he knows Hatori is trying to make him a better person.

Richard J. wrote:
And surely Shigure is only willing to take such extreme steps to spoiler[break the curse] because he knows he has friends who will support him, no matter how far he must go. I severely doubt that Shigure could so willing risk his own happiness and that of others if they weren't around to support him. Hatori clearly doesn't agree with his methods but he's still there for him.

Personally, I don't think Shigure's ultimate goal spoiler[is to break the curse. I think his ultimate goal is to win Akito -- as an equal, not as his god. I think his tool used in pursuit of that goal is breaking the curse, so there is something for the whole zodiac in it. The question is in his motive. I don't think he altruistic enough to be trying to break the curse for the benefit of everyone. Given his personality, a more selfish goal -- like winning Akito -- makes more sense. It just so happens that the best way to do that -- breaking the curse -- benefits everyone.] But, having said that, I think he does feel bad that his methods might cause pain to Ayame and Hatori.

Fighter: You think Takaya's new work is good enough to make it on this side of the Pacific?

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

Personally, I don't think Shigure's ultimate goal spoiler[is to break the curse. I think his ultimate goal is to win Akito -- as an equal, not as his god. I think his tool used in pursuit of that goal is breaking the curse, so there is something for the whole zodiac in it. The question is in his motive. I don't think he altruistic enough to be trying to break the curse for the benefit of everyone. Given his personality, a more selfish goal -- like winning Akito -- makes more sense. It just so happens that the best way to do that -- breaking the curse -- benefits everyone.] But, having said that, I think he does feel bad that his methods might cause pain to Ayame and Hatori.

I think that you're right there but what he is doing will also spoiler[free Akito. Akito will be a normal girl. No longer a God. No longer forced to hide her "true self" beneath the clothes of a man. Part of it is to win. But I also think that he wants Akito to be happy.]
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think that you're right there but what he is doing will also spoiler[free Akito. Akito will be a normal girl. No longer a God. No longer forced to hide her "true self" beneath the clothes of a man. Part of it is to win. But I also think that he wants Akito to be happy.]

Good point. I look spoiler[at Akito and find it hard to separate her own personality from the one crazy created because she's head of the family and god of the zodiac. Breaking the curse would help her, too.]

I love how unphased Shigure is by Ayame's antics. Even when Ayame interrupts Shigure in the bath, Shigure's so used to it that a semi-interested, "What?" is all the response it gets.

-Murph
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The first volume of Takaya Natsuki's new series, Hoshi wa Utau! I picked this up myself not to long ago, and I think that she designed our new heroine beautifully. The story revolves around spoiler[our main character living with her cousin who seems to be not liked by locals, and she encounters a man who claims to know her, but she cannot remember from where. And this is what follows, her trying to find the man and who he is,] or at least for the first volume. Can't wait to see what the second volume is like. Already have seen some Kyo-like and Saki (Hanachan)-like traits in some of the supporting characters Laughing

While we're on this note, I have a question about Takaya-sensei.

I really don't like shojo manga. There, I said it. Feel free to cast stones all you want. Furuba and Ouran are the only two shojo I like, and Furuba is the only one I LOOOOOOVE. The story is just fantastic.

So, keeping in mind that I don't like shojo much, and thrive on compelling stories and strong characters rather than shojo conventions and sexy bishounen, are Takaya's previous works like Tsubasa o Motsu Mono very good? Should I read it/them? (Tsubasa's the only one I can remember by name at the moment.)

I continue to be blown away by and reread Fruits Basket, so I know Takaya has an amazing sense of dramatic storytelling, but I don't know if Furuba's really her pinnacle or if her other works are also compelling for a not-so-girly girl. Got any ideas?

P.S. Didn't mean to throw this off-topic, so you can PM me if you have a detailed answer. Cool
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fighter: You think Takaya's new work is good enough to make it on this side of the Pacific?

Murph: I think if possible they can capitalize on the success of Fruits Basket and possibly bring the new series over here. Since it's brand new, its chances are a heck of a lot better than her older series. Publishers these days (anime and manga alike) look more towards the market of newer series, because that's what people have heard of and will be more interested in. Hoshi wa Utau can make it over here.

JesuOtaku wrote:
While we're on this note, I have a question about Takaya-sensei.

I really don't like shojo manga. There, I said it. Feel free to cast stones all you want. Furuba and Ouran are the only two shojo I like, and Furuba is the only one I LOOOOOOVE. The story is just fantastic.

So, keeping in mind that I don't like shojo much, and thrive on compelling stories and strong characters rather than shojo conventions and sexy bishounen, are Takaya's previous works like Tsubasa o Motsu Mono very good? Should I read it/them? (Tsubasa's the only one I can remember by name at the moment.)

I continue to be blown away by and reread Fruits Basket, so I know Takaya has an amazing sense of dramatic storytelling, but I don't know if Furuba's really her pinnacle or if her other works are also compelling for a not-so-girly girl. Got any ideas?

P.S. Didn't mean to throw this off-topic, so you can PM me if you have a detailed answer. Cool

I like to have Takaya-sensei related discussion in this thread as well. Having read her previous works recently, I can understand why the first series, Genei Musou didn't make a very big jump into the manga world. I wasn't very impressed with GM, but give the fact that it was her first series, I wasn't surprised. Her second series, Tsubasa Wo Motsumono, seemed to be able to capitalize into a bit of a success. Though not much longer than GM, it was also able to get itself a light novel series written by Takaya-sensei herself. For the most part, I don't think we'll be able to see any of her older works over here, but if you were to go back and read one of them, I would recommend reading Tsubasa wo Motsumono.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 108 of 170