• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: School-Live!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Key wrote:
I thought the series was actually pretty highly-rated by Japanese fandom?

(Granted, "highly-rated" does not necessarily mean "popular" or "sells well.")

From what I've heard, people on 4Chan "analyze" Amazon Japan's Blu-Ray preorder sales rankings every couple of weeks, and then that filters down to sites like Reddit in the form of "___ is doing terribly in Japan right now".

I wouldn't take it too seriously unless someone has actual TV rankings.

For late-night anime, TV rankings are pretty much irrelevant, what matters is DVD/BD sales, that's why people tend to gouge how well a series will do based on Amazon preorders. There have been a couple of cases in which, out of some weird otaku spite, people inflate the preorders to make it seem like the show will be a success, then cancel them all a few days before release to troll the creators or something.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

For late-night anime, TV rankings are pretty much irrelevant, what matters is DVD/BD sales, that's why people tend to gouge how well a series will do based on Amazon preorders. There have been a couple of cases in which, out of some weird otaku spite, people inflate the preorders to make it seem like the show will be a success, then cancel them all a few days before release to troll the creators or something.

Looking at the pre-orders, then, I came up with 3,000 first-day DVD/BD sales on Amazon for the first volume based on the information provided by Amazon Stalker. If that's accurate, then that doesn't seem too awful (obviously, I'm hoping it's higher).

Regardless, I'm confident that they'll have enough time to wrap up the show without the need for a second season. Whether they choose to end with a cliffhanger is anyone's guess, though.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
If it's just 3000 of BD+DVD, that's a really low number? Especially considering later volumes usually drop in sales. If the final sales are somewhere around that, it's most likely to be a flop, especially since it does seem to have a decent budget (compare to other shows this season like Gangsta or Rokka that have stiff animation and often off-model faces). The fact that they change the opening every episode seems to indicate they've put a good amount of money into this, so 3000 copies does point at it doing very poorly
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
If it's just 3000 of BD+DVD, that's a really low number? Especially considering later volumes usually drop in sales. If the final sales are somewhere around that, it's most likely to be a flop, especially since it does seem to have a decent budget (compare to other shows this season like Gangsta or Rokka that have stiff animation and often off-model faces). The fact that they change the opening every episode seems to indicate they've put a good amount of money into this, so 3000 copies does point at it doing very poorly

If that's all it makes in its first week, probably. Those are day 1 estimates, though, and if it had come out last week, ~1500 Bluray copies would have easily put it in the Top 5 of the rankings.

Either way, the show already did its job. Sales of the manga have increased 1000% and manga is now licensed in America. On a personal level, I also think that the show has accomplished the fairly difficult task of adapting the manga into a 1-coeur anime series, which was frankly all I was hoping for going into the season.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As a result, the question is less whether or not this deserves to be considered amongst the best series of the year as it is whether or not it will rank #1 on that list.

As it is, this stands right next to Kekkai Sensen/BBB for me. Both surprises and very good entries that I had no previous investment in, but that ultimately I liked less than the stuff I already read in the past (like UBW or DRRR X2). Next season will have more of the latter, but I think School-Live has secured a spot in my top 5 of the year.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As a result, the question is less whether or not this deserves to be considered amongst the best series of the year as it is whether or not it will rank #1 on that list.

Neither, unless you REALLY love dogs. Rolling Eyes
srlracing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
I can honestly say School-Live! is one of the finest series I have ever had the pleasure of watching. I would not change a single thing about it. I hope it does well for them.
asdqweiop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
lol theron you're crazy i love you. keep rocking.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to see Yuki's reaction after watching Megu-nee! Sad That would've been to me more compelling than Yuki tellingspoiler[the zombies to leave because school has finished.] I know the direction could've managed an amazing scene were Yuki finally comes out of herspoiler[ delusions after watching the corpse of Megu-nee.]

But anyway, the series did show and explained in some way or another the logics of the anime, and that's something that I really liked about this anime, as it didn't feel that convenient when things finally happened.

Overall, it was an Excellent series for me and one of the best of the season. Loved the psychological parts as well as the drama, but I always had problems with the cute part of the series: it combined the genres and tropes pretty well, but I wasn't that comfortable watching the girls playing or going shopping in that kind of world they're living in.

I just wonder: was that spoiler[zombie] Key entering school at the end of the episode?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
I just wonder: was that spoiler[zombie] Key entering school at the end of the episode?

From the way the scene was framed, with Mii reacting to it and them showing her message to Kei on the black board, seemed to me like it was.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
School-Live! is a well done anime that was better than I expected. I can easily put it in my top 10 of the best anime series from 2015, but I cannot see it being number one. To me the title of best anime series from 2015 should belong to Death Parade or Blood Blockade Battlefront if its final episode is spectacular.

This is my current top 10 of best anime series from 2015 if you are wondering.

1. Death Parade
2. Blood Blockade Battlefront
3. Snow White with the Red Hair
4. Sound! Euphonium
5. My Teenage Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!
6. Yuri Kuma Arashi
7. Maria the Virgin Witch
8. Love-Live!
9. My LOVE Story
10. Non Non Biyori Repeat
amcnulty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
This was easily one of my favorite anime so far this year for all the reasons Theron listed.

I just can't... This last episode. Sad
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
Quote:

Neither, unless you REALLY love dogs. Rolling Eyes

I'm a cat person who has little tolerance or appreciation for dogs, so I guess that claim has already been disproved. Wink

As for Kei possibly being the zombie girl shown at the end: that was my initial thought, too. Sure puts a whole 'nother load of irony onto the end of the series if that's what we are meant to interpret.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
There was the scene when they were running down the escalator at the mall where I thought you could briefly see Kei as one of the zombies down there, so I'm predisposed to thinking that was her walking back to the school.

Because of the way the story is handled I know it's not possible, but I would have liked to see some consideration that the cure only works on people, preserving the hope Kei or others could be saved even at this point. Would obviously sting like crazy to know that given Megu-nee was killed already.

I am only slightly perturbed at the way Yuki's psychosis was so quickly turned around. I know that for advancement of the story and a catharsis of the audience watching her, it is great that when push came to shove she came through. But reality is that it would take far longer for that change to come about than it did. She shouldn't have been as highly functional at that moment as she ultimately was.

Nonetheless, in the broader context of this series, it is a fairly minor blip. I do put Death Parade higher on my personal list so far this season, maybe Maria the Virgin Witch as well. I'd be very comfortable putting it in third, tying for now with Blood Blockade, a little ahead of Overlord.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
There was the scene when they were running down the escalator at the mall where I thought you could briefly see Kei as one of the zombies down there, so I'm predisposed to thinking that was her walking back to the school.

If that's true, then I'd be disappointed. Maybe I'll check that later but actually, I was expecting some kind of OVA that showed Key during her errands after she left the mall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13