• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
oh wow Shocked... has something like this ever happened before? talk about stunning.

now hopefully they will put it back on Toonami in it's proper format. seriously i'm not like a diehard fan, but this is beyond awesome.

They did that with DBZ. Saban originally owned it, and Funi distributed it. eventually they bought all the dbz rights and started releasing uncut dubs.

Actually, FUNimation has owned it all along, with Pioneer initially doing Home Video distribution (Ocean dub episodes/movies), with Saban handling TV distribution., In order for FUNimation to distribute through Saban, Saban imposed various standards on FUNimation in what they had to remove, what they should remove, and all of that stuff. Therefore, doing bilingual DVDs back when the Ocean episodes came out from Pioneer was not practical as the footage didn't synch.

FUNimation did get the home video rights to those episodes/movies after Pioneers contract/license ran out, but it was more of a defaulting back to them rather than buying them back. A similar, unresolved scenario exists between FUNimation and kidmark/lions gate/who knows about the first 13 eps and first movie of Dragonball.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
We all start off with dubs...... and then one day we realize what we're missing.

Not really. I started watching dubs and I still prefer(the ones with accurate translation) dubs to subs. I don't mind subs but if I were to choose between a faithfully-translated dub and subs, I'd choose dub. But that's the subject for another day.

Quote:
Actually, FUNimation has owned it all along, with Pioneer initially doing Home Video distribution (Ocean dub episodes/movies), with Saban handling TV distribution., In order for FUNimation to distribute through Saban, Saban imposed various standards on FUNimation in what they had to remove, what they should remove, and all of that stuff. Therefore, doing bilingual DVDs back when the Ocean episodes came out from Pioneer was not practical as the footage didn't synch.

FUNimation did get the home video rights to those episodes/movies after Pioneers contract/license ran out, but it was more of a defaulting back to them rather than buying them back. A similar, unresolved scenario exists between FUNimation and kidmark/lions gate/who knows about the first 13 eps and first movie of Dragonball.

Oh. My mistake.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Naru2099 wrote:
I'm glad to see Funi get ahold of it. Actually, just glad to see a company willing to take a chance on OP. I will be buying the sets as they come. I may have gone through fansubs, but I'm giving OP what they deserve. Had a conversation with some people about how they don't feel they have to buy DVDs and such because of sources such as fansubs and access to sites like YouTube. While I see the point, when I know what I'm gonna get from a distibutor, I'm gonna buy. Now if someone can license Yakitate! Japan! and Monster and I'll be set.

To SaveOnePiece:

I'm gonna say it nicely. Please stop acting like an elitist. I'd like to see things like Gomu Gomu, but there's no need to correct anyone over little things.

When someone makes a mistake they are corrected and they will learn to not do it again.

I'm gonna laugh if Scott McNeil plays Zoro

So just like OceanBall Z, Funimation are gonna take the worst dub of it's time and make it better/halfway watchable.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Last time me and Eiichiro Oda checked it was GOMU GOMU NO!

Gomu Gomu -> Gum Gum is just a simple matter of translation, no different than translating the normal dialog from Japanese to English. Gomu is not even a Japanese word, like Sharingan or Onigiri, so there's no harm in translating it from broken English into actual English. I do have a problem with them changing the pistol/bazooka/gattling moves into more generic, less gun-like names such as "blast" and "shot" (But I don't expect them to not change the Gomu Gomu no Gattoringu to Gum Gum Gattling).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
When someone makes a mistake they are corrected and they will learn to not do it again.

To the person who is having a blast correcting people here, how about a piece of useless trivia? Gomu means "rubber" in Japanese, so Luffy is really a rubber human being. They can't make everything fit into a little segment of dialogue so to stay true to translations, if they did, we'd be having the same issues Peter Jackson was having when making LOTR.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

Last time me and Eiichiro Oda checked it was GOMU GOMU NO!

Gomu Gomu -> Gum Gum is just a simple matter of translation, no different than translating the normal dialog from Japanese to English. Gomu is not even a Japanese word, like Sharingan or Onigiri, so there's no harm in translating it from broken English into actual English. I do have a problem with them changing the pistol/bazooka/gattling moves into more generic, less gun-like names such as "blast" and "shot" (But I don't expect them to not change the Gomu Gomu no Gattoringu to Gum Gum Gattling).

Funny thing, "Gomu" means rubber and last time I checked bubblegum and rubber have some big differences.......

I'm pretty sure that Funimation know better than to misname the main characters attacks and that just how they kept Yusuke's "Rei Gun" on the subs intead of translating it to "Spirit Gun" that at least on the subs it will remain CORRECT at Gomu Gomu No!

If you read Viz slop, please don't argue with the true fans.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

"True" fans? Please define "true" fans for me then Rolling Eyes
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
SaveOnePiece wrote:

"True" fans? Please define "true" fans for me then Rolling Eyes

Those who import the manga or DVDS
Those who know Japanese (I do not)
Those who buy the DVDS if released uncut in their country
Those who know the main character of a series attack names
Those who despise the crap Viz throw on bookshelves
Those who import the games
Those who import the merchendise
Those who buy the English merchendise if released correctly.
Those who watch the series subbed or raw
Those who respect the author of the manga and the staff of the anime by not buying/watching/reading edited and westernized versions of their works.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
yeesh, if true fans are only those like that then I guess only people in Japan are true fans. Big deal if Funi uses Gum Gum instead of Gomu Gomu (and gum is a type of rubber just so you know). I support series brought over if the translations are a bit Westernized so I can get more of it (the translations of Bleach irritate me at times but I still buy them so Viz has incentive to keep doing it) and Viz does good translations quite a bit of the time as well (their Eva manga translation is one of the best I've ever seen). So if you're done trying to make this thread your own with your petty arguing, other people would like to discuss other stuff regarding this license.

Alright, hopefully we learn of VAs soon (my guess is Otakon or AX).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Those who respect the author of the manga and the staff of the anime by not buying/watching/reading edited and westernized versions of their works.

Okay, a whole lot of these are contradicting yourself as well as others.

Quote:

So what about those who cannot import the manga or DVDs, and do not have access to them, and I'm not talking about fansubbers.

Quote:

You are already contradicting yourself by saying that. What about all the other people who can't speak Japanese, but enjoy reading the manga? Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Another contradictory statement. Over here in the US, we do not have uncut DVDs, however we will be seeing them real soon. So you're attacking the people who have bought the 4kids version of the DVDs without knowing that there was an uncut version?

Quote:

Those are called "nerds".

Quote:

All crap? Or what are you talking about? I think that the English version to the manga version is acceptional.

Quote:

So how about those who don't know about the merchandise or the ones who don't take the time to do that?

Quote:

So you're promoting fansubs now?

Quote:

This is contradictory to the above statement, because by watching fansubs you are paying a disrespect to the author and the anime staff by stealing from them Rolling Eyes

Making some sense now?
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
yeesh, if true fans are only those like that then I guess only people in Japan are true fans. Big deal if Funi uses Gum Gum instead of Gomu Gomu (and gum is a type of rubber just so you know). I support series brought over if the translations are a bit Westernized so I can get more of it (the translations of Bleach irritate me at times but I still buy them so Viz has incentive to keep doing it) and Viz does good translations quite a bit of the time as well (their Eva manga translation is one of the best I've ever seen). So if you're done trying to make this thread your own with your petty arguing, other people would like to discuss other stuff regarding this license.

Alright, hopefully we learn of VAs soon (my guess is Otakon or AX).

The Trans of Eva are so bad it makes me sick. They don't use that kind of language in kids comic books and you know it as well as I do. Japanese kids are not the South Park kids like morons try to make them out to be

Actually Viz's Bleach and Naruto subs are some of my favorite around mind a couple Believe it's and translated text (which stopped in the 3rd Bleach dvd)
If darn and dang offend you then you'll be better off watching The Boondocks.....
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:

Is this just in relation to One Piece or all anime? Either way, that's some pretty twisted logic about the requirements for being a "fan".
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
So, in other words, you're saying that the world revolves around you and what you think is right, and if people don't agree with your opinion, they are inferior to you and that their opinion means nothing at all? Please, save us all a lot of trouble and just stop talking now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
SaveOnePiece wrote:
So, in other words, you're saying that the world revolves around you and what you think is right, and if people don't agree with your opinion, they are inferior to you and that their opinion means nothing at all? Please, save us all a lot of trouble and just stop talking now.

Gee, If that is the criteria then I guess I really suck at this fan stuff.

Naw, I think I'm going to to second Kouji's motion and you should quit talking.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I third Kouji, your logic is not logic at all, and will be sure to offend certain people already. Your definition of a true fan is contradictory to say the least, and not even catering to what benefits the author, producers of the anime, and the fans and consumers that make the whole system work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 18