• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Welcome to the Ballroom

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Mojave wrote:
I don't think you've understood correctly. Sports anime usually don't make up completely fake rules for the sport they're depicting, and especially don't feature those fake rules as central plot points. The writers are banking on their audience not knowing anything about the sport to get away with something so egregious.

As far as the JDSF promotion, they're hoping that having a mainstream anime about ballroom be popular in Japan will increase participation in their sport, especially among young adults and teenagers. So, they're staying quiet about how off the show's depiction of ballroom is. Your wholly inappropriate personal attack on me means nothing, because the show did make up a completely fake rule and make it a central plot point. That's not an "alleged professional on an internet forum bashing it," it's an inarguable fact.

Sorry if I offended you, but you have to admit saying the JDSF secretly hates the series and is only tolerating it out of self-interest is purely projection

As far as making things up, it happens quite often in sports series. It's usually done for dramatic effect. Haikyu, Kuroko, Yuri on Ice, Yu-Gi-Oh.. heck, I've seen people flip out when something like a Pokemon battle does things not allowed in the games, like reflect projectiles back to the attacker. For me, A series is more than welcome to take some creative liberties in order to make things more interesting or dramatic.

-Stuart Smith
~

As long as they're not called Dragon Ball Super and ignore their rules. (talking about the object crap). Wink
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's the wonder of opinions, everyone has a different one. I can watch and enjoy not-feminist shows, but this one has such systematic lowkey hatred and minimization of women it gets intolerable. Consider what I explained above, how the girls are always taking all the blame for the conflicts, even though in both cases it was the guy who was most to blame. Or how about all those body-shaming jokes? We've now had three different characters ridiculed for the size of their boobs. I don't explicitly need the show to be super feminist or extremely realistic, but I can't stand that it bent the rules all over so badly just to diminish the girls' role in the sport.

Wait isn't Tatara the one blamed all the time for not knowing what the hell he is doing? Or am I watching a different show? Like, I don't remember Mako being blamed and Chinatsu gets some shit but that is because she isn't that good at following but even then that is blamed on Tatara for not knowing how to lead properly, or at least that is what I got from it
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Sorry if I offended you, but you have to admit saying the JDSF secretly hates the series and is only tolerating it out of self-interest is purely projection

As far as making things up, it happens quite often in sports series. It's usually done for dramatic effect. Haikyu, Kuroko, Yuri on Ice, Yu-Gi-Oh.. heck, I've seen people flip out when something like a Pokemon battle does things not allowed in the games, like reflect projectiles back to the attacker. For me, A series is more than welcome to take some creative liberties in order to make things more interesting or dramatic.

-Stuart Smith

First off, I didn't say the JDSF hated the series. I did, however, point out that they have a clear reason to ignore how inaccurate it is. I can say from experience that the ballroom dance community is often willing to overlook inaccurate portrayals of the sport in mainstream media if it means participation rates in the sport will rise, especially among teenagers and young adults. Is that projection? Possibly. Does it hold up a whole lot better than your claim that the JDSF actually loves the show and thus the show isn't that egregiously inaccurate? Absolutely.

Second, I don't think you understand the magnitude of what Welcome to the Ballroom made up. I'll use basketball to explain how egregious is. Let's imagine that our protagonist is new to basketball and plays the position of either point guard or shooting guard (these are the shorter guys that often take the longer-distance shots). In a game, him and the other guard aren't shooting real well. But, the taller guys on the team who play closer to the basket are having fantastic games. They're all shooting way above average, getting rebounds like crazy, and getting more blocks than they had ever imagined. But, the referee and coaches inform the players that if the guards aren't scoring at least 50% of the team's points, the team's total points only count for 1/3 of what they actually have. So even though their team is winning 66-60, because our protagonist isn't performing well, those points are reduced and suddenly his team is losing, 60-22. We then have multiple episodes detailing how our protagonist's tall teammates get on his case for not performing well and making them lose because of this bizarre rule. And the plot acts like the big problem here is his tall teammates, who our protagonist needs to "break" so that they respect him so that he can grow into being the best guard ever and carry his team so they won't run afoul of this bizarre rule ever again.

If a basketball anime did that, viewers would be furious. They'd wonder why the writers would make up a fake rule just to try to diminish the role of tall players in the sport of basketball. It would be impossible to not suspect that the writers are biased against tall basketball players, and they'd be called out loudly for both their inaccuracy and their bigotry. This depiction of basketball would reflect very poorly on the sport to any viewers who weren't familiar with the sport and its general rules. Some viewers might still exhibit your mindset and say "Sure, the writers took some creative liberties, but I don't care, because I thought it made things more dramatic and interesting, and got me pumped." They wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on, though, when defending the show, because of how egregious the creative liberty the writers took was, and how negatively it changed the team dynamics of basketball.

That's how egregious a sin Welcome to the Ballroom committed. They made up a fake rule that altered the sport in the drastic manner I just gave in the basketball example. And the past several episodes have all featured as major plot points dynamics and issues that arise only because of that egregiously fake rule, completely altering ballroom dance into something basically foreign to the realities of the sport. This wasn't a minor creative liberty, it was something that breaks the sport and is so outlandish that it's inconceivable that they would have done it if they thought their audience knew much about the sport. The reason I'm still bringing this up is because many of the issues in the past few episodes arise directly from this egregious fake rule. So yes, it feels like the writers are both lazy and pushing a fairly nefarious agenda.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:

Wait isn't Tatara the one blamed all the time for not knowing what the hell he is doing? Or am I watching a different show? Like, I don't remember Mako being blamed and Chinatsu gets some shit but that is because she isn't that good at following but even then that is blamed on Tatara for not knowing how to lead properly, or at least that is what I got from it

Did you... read the paragraph above the one you quoted? I'm talking specifically about Mako and Shizuku's conflicts with Gaju and Hyodo respectively -since those conflicts are the center of their character arcs-, it's nothing to do with Tatara.

Mako took the blame for "making Gaju angry with her indecissiveness" in last week's episode, whereas Gaju never acknowledges wronging Mako with his insults. Meanwhile Shizuku explicitly apologizes to Tatara for "causing" the Tenpei Cup mess, when it was Hyodo who wronged her and was never held accountable for it. As I've said time and time again, the narrative is merciless with the girls, faulting them for literally everything, whereas the boys get off scott free and never have to face their mistakes, nor do they develop as characters.

Speaking of Tatara, although he is partially blamed for his struggles with Chinatsu (again though, the narrative paints Chinatsu as the most problematic of the two, since she needs to be "tamed"), what's more egregious is that, because of the show's nonsense rule bending, he takes all the credit for what they do right. This is most notable in the Tenpei Cup. Mako wins the queen of the floor award, but instead of being a moment of crowning glory for her and an acknowledgment of her prowess as a dancer (which she desperately needed given how Gaju kept telling her how useless she was all the time), the narrative shifts immediately to give Tatara all the credit for that, showing us Sengoku saying "it was all thanks to Tatara's lead". So when the show isn't blaming women for literally everything, it also strips away any recognition or credit they should be getting for their skills

Quote:
As far as making things up, it happens quite often in sports series. It's usually done for dramatic effect. Haikyu, Kuroko, Yuri on Ice,

Just say upfront that you didn't watch any of those shows instead of embarrassing yourself bro. Haikyuu and Yuri on Ice are very faithful depictions of the sports they portray, and have been praised as such. Many professional skaters have expressed their amazement at how YOI has captured the real essence of figure skating. The only inaccuracies come from two or three cases where the scores were lower or higher than they should have been, but that's completely different from making up a completely arbitrary rule that severely affects the portrayal of the sport.

As for Kuroko no Basket, there's difference between supernatural exagerations and rule-bending. All the techniques displayed in Kurobas are probably physically impossible, but none of them require any change to the rules. It's not like Seirin is allowed to have six players on the court because Kuroko is invisible, or that Midorima's full-court shot is worth 10 points. Everything works within the established rules of basketball. In fact, as I mentioned way earlier in this thread, there was an instance in which Kuroko's new technique originally involved punching the ball with his fist, but this was later changed because punching the ball is actually against the rules
Mojave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Speaking of Tatara, although he is partially blamed for his struggles with Chinatsu (again though, the narrative paints Chinatsu as the most problematic of the two, since she needs to be "tamed")

To be fair, Chinatsu is by far the most problematic of the two. Depicting her as an unruly steed that just needs to be broken is certainly wrong, but from a dancer's perspective, she is far and away the biggest problem in her and Tatara's partnership. Inexperience can be overcome, one partner refusing to work with the other to let them do their job can't. She is absolutely the main one at fault for the issues their partnership is experiencing. It concerns me a bit that you would think that she isn't a much bigger problem than Tatara, since that means you're not really looking at this fairly.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
^Although I agree, I think the show takes Tatara's inexperience for granted, or treats it as something that can be easily overcome, minimizing its impact on their partnership -as someone else mentioned, part of Chinatsu's attitude is also coming from the fact that she doesn't feel she can trust Tatara as a dancer-. Although it's harped again and again that he's a sucky dancer, it never really seems to have any consequences beyond him feeling inadequate. It seems a bit contradictory considering that according to the show's invented rules, they shouldn't ever make it through the first rounds since Tatara is such a bad leader and "that's the only thing being judged". It's also infuriating because rather than focusing on working through Chinatsu's holdups or encouraging Tatara to become a reliable partner for her, they only accentuate the narrative that Chinatsu is "a beast that needs to be broken/tamed", so it feels like she is being excessively punished and that the writing itself isn't even addressing her problems in a way that is remotely helpful
Mojave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^Although I agree, I think the show takes Tatara's inexperience for granted, or treats it as something that can be easily overcome, minimizing its impact on their partnership -as someone else mentioned, part of Chinatsu's attitude is also coming from the fact that she doesn't feel she can trust Tatara as a dancer-. Although it's harped again and again that he's a sucky dancer, it never really seems to have any consequences beyond him feeling inadequate. It seems a bit contradictory considering that according to the show's invented rules, they shouldn't ever make it through the first rounds since Tatara is such a bad leader and "that's the only thing being judged". It's also infuriating because rather than focusing on working through Chinatsu's holdups or encouraging Tatara to become a reliable partner for her, they only accentuate the narrative that Chinatsu is "a beast that needs to be broken/tamed", so it feels like she is being excessively punished and that the writing itself isn't even addressing her problems in a way that is remotely helpful

The show treats Tatara as inexperienced, not as a bad dancer. I've mentioned before that this is one of the other glaring inaccuracies of the show, but made for understandable shonen plot reasons. Tatara is actually too good for his level of experience. He's too new to the sport to be competing at the level he is.

And I'm the one who mentioned that Chinatsu feels like she can't trust Tatara as her partner. I guess I should have added the caveat that the lack of trust stems more from her own personal flaws than from Tatara's. That doesn't mean there aren't things that Tatara could be doing to help bridge that gap of trust and get Chinatsu to start to overcome those flaws, but the issues are there in the first place mainly because of her personal flaws, not his.

You're really letting Chinatsu off too light here. If I had to make an estimate, I'd say about 90% of the issues in the partnership are her fault, and only about 10% are Tatara's. He should still work on that small percentage that he can, but the overall crux of the issue is undoubtedly Chinatsu. Chinatsu isn't being excessively punished, Tatara is, by Sengoku and those around him not holding Chinatsu accountable for her terrible actions and letting her continue to take it out on Tatara. Chinatsu is an absolutely terrible partner at this point in the story. There's a reason why Tatara could make it work with Makko, despite his inexperience. They were both willing to try. It's failing with Chinatsu because she's not willing to give him a chance, which makes her a terrible partner. She's not something to be broken, but she is a bad partner who needs to stop being so self-centered and give her partner a fair chance, or else there's no possibility of them having a successful partnership. That's part of why that whole "breaking" sentiment is so bad (in addition to it fundamentally misunderstanding how partnership dynamics work in dancesport), because realistically he couldn't force her to change, he can only help her to fix her issues, but they won't be fixed until she takes the steps forward to let it happen.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Everything works within the established rules of basketball.

Well, except for that one time where a shot clearly left the player's hands before the clock ran out, but went in after the buzzer and so it didn't count, which is wrong.

Stuart Smith just picked the wrong series for his examples. Wink Soccer (football) anime have a real tendency to be clueless about the rules of the sport (but mostly just ignore or mis-apply rather than make up rules). Then there's Eyeshield 21 which just made up everything as they went along for the sheer outrageousness value. It's probably the only time in history (fictional or otherwise) where a quarterback sacked the opposing quarterback. Laughing Though even that isn't technically against the rules, I guess.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
Some viewers might still exhibit your mindset and say "Sure, the writers took some creative liberties, but I don't care, because I thought it made things more dramatic and interesting, and got me pumped." They wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on, though, when defending the show, because of how egregious the creative liberty the writers took was, and how negatively it changed the team dynamics of basketball.

One doesn't really need to 'defend' a show beyond their enjoyment of it. If the liberties are that much of a distraction for you, then that's fair, but not everyone is like that. Everyone has their own levels of suspension of disbelief that is required when it comes sports anime, I suppose.

CrowLia wrote:
Just say upfront that you didn't watch any of those shows instead of embarrassing yourself bro. Haikyuu and Yuri on Ice are very faithful depictions of the sports they portray, and have been praised as such. Many professional skaters have expressed their amazement at how YOI has captured the real essence of figure skating. The only inaccuracies come from two or three cases where the scores were lower or higher than they should have been, but that's completely different from making up a completely arbitrary rule that severely affects the portrayal of the sport.

Both Haikyuu and YOI feature movements and plays that would put professionals to shame, but I suppose you could dismiss that as 'supernatural exaggerations'. If you specifically only want to focus on rule violations and scoring, then fine, but inaccuracies are inaccuracies and it comes off quite goal-post movey.. You already mentioned scoring fails, but there's also one of the last scenes in YOI, which goes against the ISU's 'man and woman only' pairs rule.

Although I admit I find it a bit odd a judge's scoring is more immersion breaking than soccer balls summoning demons or tennis ball serves creating waves of flames. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

-Stuart Smith
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Both Haikyuu and YOI feature movements and plays that would put professionals to shame, but I suppose you could dismiss that as 'supernatural exaggerations'. If you specifically only want to focus on rule violations and scoring, then fine, but inaccuracies are inaccuracies and it comes off quite goal-post movey.

Give me an example, if you would? I'm not too knowledgeable about volleyball but nothing in the show strikes me as anything that would "put professionals to shame". I have learned quite a bit about figure skating and have been following this season so far and nothing in the show is different to what I've seen in real competitions, and definitely nothing that would, again, "put professionals to shame". In fact, what was in the first place a sort of "supernatural exaggeration" (characters having 3+ quadruple jumps in their programs) has quickly become a reality, with at least a handful of the top skaters incorporating 4+ quads (Nathan Chen has up to six).

Quote:

You already mentioned scoring fails, but there's also one of the last scenes in YOI, which goes against the ISU's 'man and woman only' pairs rule.

Actually, since that was an exhibition skate it was not against the rules, try again.

Quote:
Although I admit I find it a bit odd a judge's scoring is more immersion breaking than soccer balls summoning demons or tennis ball serves creating waves of flames. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

It's not about which is more exaggerated, but which disrupts the dynamic of the sport the most, and in a more pointless way. Supernaturally exaggerated sports are meant to make it all more exciting and cool looking. Ballroom's shift in rules achieves literally nothing in the sense of improving or making the sport more attractive to watch. Mojave has already given a good example of how Ballroom could've worked as a shonen sports series without that shift in the rules that gratuitously undermines the women's role in a dance partnership. It's not only about suspension of disbelif but how the writing goes out of its way to minimize women to a point that even declared "anti-feminists" have found egregiously mysoginist, and all to achieve literally nothing in terms of storytelling.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
While her actions, past and present, have been problematic, I find myself a little more sympathetic to Akira than before this episode. I have to agree with her that Chinatsu has been arrogant and refuses to rely on her partner, telling Akira that she doesn't have to work hard as she'll just do it for her, and those are the same sort of issues she is experiencing with Tatara. I also don't think that she refused to let Chinatsu take the female role to sabotage her future, but more to keep something that she is more skilled in than Chinatsu, so that she will want to stay with her, though that has harmed her ability to follow. Her crush (at least) on Chinatsu did become problematic as well. We'll see the full story soon enough, but I think Chinatsu's (continuing) issues contributed to her and Akira's situation, and that makes Akira a bit more understandable at the very least.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
^This pretty much. This ep. made me like Akira a bit better, but if its purpose was to make me feel more smypathy for Chinatsu, it failed pretty spectacularly...
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I also don't think that she refused to let Chinatsu take the female role to sabotage her future, but more to keep something that she is more skilled in than Chinatsu, so that she will want to stay with her, though that has harmed her ability to follow.

I'd say it has more to do with Akira's fundamentally submissive personality, a submissiveness which was no doubt fostered by Chintasu's unrelenting prideful and dismissive character.

We'll leave aside the implicit tomodachi-cum-shoujo-ai aspects of Akira's obsession though they seemed pretty blatant. Reminded me a bit of the Kanna/Riko scenes in Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
Well, if nothing else, the episode finally got a few laughs out of me. Aside from that, I'm still looking for someone, anyone, in this to like. It seems like every week, regardless of which characters get featured, it only succeeds in making me dislike them more. I've come too far to quit now, but I am kind of amazed by how thoroughly they've highlighted the worst in every single person, even the incidental background characters. I can't recall another series that's shown this much dedication to character assassination.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
This episode highlighted some of the glaring problems with the show's character writing. The whole episode, I believe, is meant to make us sympathize with Akira, but it kills that intent by focusing on the most toxic aspects of her obsession with Chinatsu, especially after Chinatsu quits. It was 100% unnecessary to make her show her cleavage to Mine-san (and to let the camera linger on a neck-down shot for so long), but of course the flashback couldn't end without reminding us that women are horrible and so Akira had to get a gratuitous """"slut"""" label before the viewer could even try to sympathize with her a little. At best she's made to be pathetic in her desperation for Chinatsu's attention

Something that didn't make any sense to me whatsoever was Chinatsu's complete 180 mid-episode, going as far as to cheer on Akira and Mine-san. The show has not earned this half-assed reconciliation, especially because the scene comes after showing us how toxic Akira's infatuation with Chinatsu is, and after harping on us time and time again how damaged Chinatsu was by their relationship. Their rivalry so far had been portrayed as spiteful and unhealthy, but suddenly we're supposed to believe it's magically become a "friendly" rivalry. It's kind of incredible that the show takes weeks and weeks and weeks to move from one plot point to another and yet somehow manages to not develop any of them in a satisfying manner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19