• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
Dammit this is killing me. Borders was out so I had to have them order a copy. It was a miracle I even got someone who was competent enough to do that. So now I gotta wait til it comes in, they said Monday hopefully. All these posts and spoilers are killing me though. I wanna highlight them all and I have to smack my hand to get myself to stop from doing it. This volume better rock for all this waiting I'm doing. Evil or Very Mad
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Dammit this is killing me. Borders was out so I had to have them order a copy. It was a miracle I even got someone who was competent enough to do that. So now I gotta wait til it comes in, they said Monday hopefully. All these posts and spoilers are killing me though. I wanna highlight them all and I have to smack my hand to get myself to stop from doing it. This volume better rock for all this waiting I'm doing. Evil or Very Mad

It will, you will be happy. Promise.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
so then we are extending the discussions for a while right?
brewers6655

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

definately worth the wait Anime smile
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
so then we are extending the discussions for a while right?

Yeah. I still haven't had time to completely read my copy. And there's a lot I want to talk about once I have the material. So, we'll keep vol. 21 rolling this week, and hopefully Psycho gets his book. Very Happy
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
They better get my copy in or I'm gonna go wang chung on their asses. Twisted Evil Gonna pull me a Stephen Chow and show them my Buddhist Palm. Twisted Evil
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Yeah. I still haven't had time to completely read my copy. And there's a lot I want to talk about once I have the material. So, we'll keep vol. 21 rolling this week, and hopefully Psycho gets his book. Very Happy

I think it's best too. This is after all one of the final volumes and has a lots of important scenes to be discussed. I also feel the need to read it once again, because I feel like I have missed something.

@psycho: breath! breath and calm down! they will bring it to you! if not, send them to me! I promise that I will be anything but gentle! Laughing
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Psycho, this volume will be worth the wait. It rocked my world at least. (Hands down the best volume so far with the possible exception of the very first one with Kisa.)

I mean, seeing spoiler[Akito freaking losing it after Tohru fell and the desperate way she denied pushing her. I mean, she's really concerned and upset yet just a few moments before she's so confused and angry that she slices her with a knife. To see Akito's final realization that even she can be accepted without the bond/curse is just]. . . wow, just holy wow.

Also, Psycho's plight should inspire us all to order online. (I'd have a copy sent to you but I'm broker than a porcelain cat dropped from the top Mt. Fuji.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Since murph hasn't changed yet the topic of this week's discussion I will continue with current volume.

Richard J. wrote:

I mean, seeing spoiler[Akito freaking losing it after Tohru fell and the desperate way she denied pushing her. I mean, she's really concerned and upset yet just a few moments before she's so confused and angry that she slices her with a knife. To see Akito's final realization that even she can be accepted without the bond/curse is just]. . . wow, just holy wow.

And not just that. One of the things that I always loved about this manga and they are especially highlighted in this volume is the simplicity which is part of every relationship in the manga. The simplicity of words and of gestures, which becomes so meaningful in the context. Even the story of the stupid traveler become so much more meaningful when spoiler[ Akito hears about it from Momiji and finally realizes the bad things that she has done and even more the fact that in the end Tohru might have been her true ally from the early beginning. ]

But not just her. For instance, take spoiler[ Machi and Yuki. Their relationship grows little by little and they finally become romantically involved by offering each other small things but so significant for the other. Another good example is also the relationship between Yuki and Kyo. The things between them have always been tricky and complicated, starting with the fact that they were born to become enemies but even more with Kyo's stubborness to see Yuki as the guilty one for everything (something which I always found very ironic, since it has been Kyo who suffered the most as he has always been blamed for other's deeds Shocked ) And yet such a simple wish as being in other's shoes affected the way they perceived each other. Smile ]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
And not just that. One of the things that I always loved about this manga and they are especially highlighted in this volume is the simplicity which is part of every relationship in the manga. The simplicity of words and of gestures, which becomes so meaningful in the context.
You hit upon the thing that, to me at least, is what makes Fruits Basket so much more than it was in the very beginning. It built upon every small detail, every moment, and really crafted for itself a moving tale of a family suffering under terrible pressures saved by a single kind girl willing to give everything while also presenting that girl as surprisingly human and realistic. I mean, some of Tohru's qualities are odd but she feels like someone you've met before. (Maybe I'm picking up on that same spoiler[momma vibe Yuki] latched onto?)
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
It built upon every small detail, every moment, and really crafted for itself a moving tale of a family suffering under terrible pressures saved by a single kind girl willing to give everything while also presenting that girl as surprisingly human and realistic. I mean, some of Tohru's qualities are odd but she feels like someone you've met before. (Maybe I'm picking up on that same spoiler[momma vibe Yuki] latched onto?)

You are right. In the end Tohru many times embarks on taking this role, especially because after all, most of the zodiacs are in need for such a role, taking into consideration that most of the times, their families are far from being "happy" ones. What I love even more about the simplicity of the details, it's also the way it is crafted. I mean, there's no need for big gestures, in spite of the fact that there are characters suffering greatly (as you mentioned), like Momiji or Rin to name a few; they don't need grand gestures of forgivness and they can afford to be human after all. Thier reaction isn't false and you can experience some genuine emotions such as in that scene when spoiler[ Momiji finally explained to Tohru the truth behind his mother. She doesn't say many things, but that simple hug makes all the money in the world. Or for Rin just a caress was all she cared about when Tohru came into her life. ] there are small gestures that count immensely.

And what is even more interesting is also how people learn the importance of this simplicity. spoiler[ What should Momiji have told Akito? What grand gestures he should have done when in the end the past was still the past but the present was totally changed? So he just sat there, told Akito the story of the stupid traveler and then he just offered his hand. It's more than enough: she remembers how Tohru wanted to give her hand too, how Kureno was always there for her, though always silent just so she could be with him and she wouldn't feel so lonely. She finally sees what the zodiacs have discovered in Tohru and perhaps this is why she goes to Kureno and later on to Tohru as well. ] A small gesture and some simple words again have managed to do everything.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
All this great conversation that's been going and I haven't been able to contribute at all. You'll have to forgive me, guys, I have been having to deal with quite a bit of schoolwork lately, and so have not been able to find the time to read the book. Hopefully I will be able to get to it this weekend, and get a post or two in about volume 21.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
No worries fighterholic, you're doing the right thing focusing on your school work. (I, on the other hand, am procrastinating and putting off, thus bringing on feelings of self-loathing.)

We look forward to your commentary.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
i do believe the next episode comes out in a few weeks. get ready, because here comes the climax
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
^ It's vol. 22 but there's a Vol. 23 (according to TRSI) that comes out June 30th.

But, we are getting closer! Very Happy

But on the other hand.... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 166 of 170