• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to End Toonami on September 20

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiggity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Warstar77 wrote:
heres plan
1, got piece paper and got it to CN
2. Tell cartoon network to make a new block just for anime from 7:00 pm to 11:00 am weekdays and weekends
3. anime blocks on cartoonnetwork. things like gundam seed and gundam seed destiny, and old shows like sailor moon seasons 1-4, naruto, dragonball-dragonball gt, like shows from funimation, viz and other places in america and with this anime block we made on cartoon network. There ratings will skyrocket that toonmai replaced to that we made anime block on cartoon network..
4.people got last seasoned of sailor moon on cartoon network.
come on all anime fans nows the time to replace toonami block with anime block. i need your help people and i am encourge people to wrote to cartoon network to make anime block 7:00 am to 11:00 pm weekdays and weekend and we can make this anime block on cartoon network a really

As much as I, as well as probably everyone else, admires your determination to bring back "Toonami" in some way, shape or form, I really doubt they're going to bring it back. You can try, but it's not going to happen. Like I said in one of my previous posts, I loathe Toonami for airing such crappy dubs, but at the same time it's made me curious about what the original was like, and I'm grateful for that.

I love Sailor Moon in Japanese, and seasons 3 and 4 in English aren't horrible, but I prefer them NOT to have unnecessary scenes cut. Also the voices are horrible. Should they redub the series with better actors that show as much emotion as their Japanese counterparts, then I'd buy the entire series solely for the English version. As it stands right now though, Hell will freeze over before that happens. It's also got alot to do with the US censorship remember...
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Now that its gone, I wonder what I'll do with myself on Saturday nights. I never went out much as is so Toonami and Adult Swim were my Saturday nights. I'll miss it, because it was like an old friend more than just a block of programs. But as long as there is still a place for anime on Cartoon Network that isn't the likes of Pokemon or Bakugan, and that isn't in some god awful time slot then I think things will be okay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
rebecca1/2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I look at it this way... that's still more people CN has forced to find other ways to watch the shows they want to see. Which is what they've been doing all along with the way they jerk us around with their schedule changes. If the ratings are an issue, it's their own fault for being stupid.

Hopefully some of them will go out and buy a DVD or two.
dyuken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I am 38 right now and I have been an Otaku of sorts since around 83', Battle of the Planets not withstanding. I have another friend who is around my age who has been in this since Robotech.

He and I have had some very colorful discussions over the years and about 8 years ago I made a prediction to him. I said that Anime would suffer the same fate as Hip Hop, in that it would rise with quality, reach a critical mass in quality and media saturation, then it would start to decline and be replaced by more Americanize Anime hybridized programming.

I think the greed in the Anime Distribution Industry coupled with a derth of interesting content coming over here from Japan has started the downslide that I predicted. It's a real shame though that I think Anime is going to have to disappear off of the mainstream radar to get back to the quality that it once had. I could be wrong though.

What really pisses me off is how the Mainstream uses things and discards them so easily. Let's face it ANIME MADE CARTOON NETWORK.
The irony is that Williams Street never dug anime in the first place. They just saw it as a way to get people to watch their crappy unoriginal programming. They never did the proper advertising necessary to sustain most of these newer shows.

I ,for one, am not a Fart Joke type of guy. I am not knocking it but that the jest of what William Street is really about. They feel that stuff like THe Family Guy and Robot Chicken will get them where they need to go. IT WON'T. That stuff is as tired as all of that Redub hanna barbara crap that they were known for in the past.

I am also sick as hell of that demeaning Boondocks. Nigga this Nigga that!!! As a black guy I am pretty offended by it but I know alot of white kids who love it, and I make sure to check them about it when I can. Which also leads me to the racism of alot of the folks who watch the fart joke shows. I know alot of guys who hate anime for no damn good reason, refering to it as "that big eyed japanese crap". Yet they go ga ga over papercut animation like SouthPark. PLEASE!!

We been taken for a ride, ok but let us anime types not fall for the old OKIE DOKE, the next time.
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Shiggity wrote:
I too enjoy fansubs, but if there's a show that I really like I'll buy it.

What if you can't buy the anime series stateside? Then what? "Too bad, so sad, suck salt" to the Japanese?

Or, you could buy your own copy of the R2 release and have it fansubbed.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:
Let's face it ANIME MADE CARTOON NETWORK.

That's stretching it quite a bit. Cartoon Network's own original programming made Cartoon Network (ie, Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, The Powerpuff Girls, etc.).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:
I ,for one, am not a Fart Joke type of guy. I am not knocking it but that the jest of what William Street is really about. They feel that stuff like THe Family Guy and Robot Chicken will get them where they need to go. IT WON'T. That stuff is as tired as all of that Redub hanna barbara crap that they were known for in the past.

i agree with you fully, i am sick of todays adult programing being about how vulgar you can be(family guy etc..), or about praising the rich and pamperd people (paris hilton, desperate house wifes etc...) i have given all of these shows a chance, i never rite off anything untill i have seen it, but come on TV, and movies have just gone down hill.

please do not kill me guys, but i for one like dubed anime. it is a choice in taste. some people like chocolate ice cream some people like vanilla. just like some people like dubs some like subs. so can every one please not argue about weather subs are better than dubs. at least not on here. this is about toonami.

now in a related note. i loved toonami. i have watched it all 11 years. i am 22 now so i have devoted half of my life to toonami. and this feels like a slap in the face. i knew it was comeing, but it still hurts. Anime cry i loved all of the shows they had up untill 2005 or around that time. but i still gave it my support, i always had hope that if it was still on TV that it might be good agian. and then when i heard that there was a trilogy of reboot movie's being made (it is being released in movie theaters) i had a good feeling that my old friend the good toonami might come back. but now all of that hope is gone. i loved you toonami. i was very faitfull to you. and cartoon network is dead to me now. i do not have money for a DVR and i work and go to school so i really can not stay up late for there anime that they are trying to kill. ( that is what networks do when they want to kill a show is put them on at the worst time slots) so anyway i loved you toonami, you were one of the last things left from one of the best times of my life. my pet rabbit from those days has died just a year ago, now toonami is gone. all i have left is my plant that i have had for a very long time (14 years) the last thing left from my childhood. tonami you will always have a place in my heart, TOM 1,2,3, and moltar, and SARA i will always think of you guys as old friends. i loved you all. and i hope to one day see you guys again. on till then see you space cowboy Anime cry "bang" bang indeed.

Last edited by mimosa_usagi on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
dyuken wrote:

That's stretching it quite a bit. Cartoon Network's own original programming made Cartoon Network (ie, Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, The Powerpuff Girls, etc.).

But now ppg has an anime(Still not sure if this is CN japan's doing though) and CN's fall fusion is entirely in anime style... It seems to me they have fallen victim to the idea that they can't do anything right without it being in an anime style (But looking at my gym partner is a monkey they might be right)
Shiggity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
braves wrote:
dyuken wrote:

But now ppg has an anime(Still not sure if this is CN japan's doing though) and CN's fall fusion is entirely in anime style... It seems to me they have fallen victim to the idea that they can't do anything right without it being in an anime style (But looking at my gym partner is a monkey they might be right)

Remember though, "anime style" is NOT anime. Teen Titans is in "anime style" but it originated in the US (AFAIK, corrections are welcome).
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:
I am 38 right now and I have been an Otaku of sorts since around 83', Battle of the Planets not withstanding. I have another friend who is around my age who has been in this since Robotech.

He and I have had some very colorful discussions over the years and about 8 years ago I made a prediction to him. I said that Anime would suffer the same fate as Hip Hop, in that it would rise with quality, reach a critical mass in quality and media saturation, then it would start to decline and be replaced by more Americanize Anime hybridized programming.

I think the greed in the Anime Distribution Industry coupled with a derth of interesting content coming over here from Japan has started the downslide that I predicted. It's a real shame though that I think Anime is going to have to disappear off of the mainstream radar to get back to the quality that it once had. I could be wrong though.

What really pisses me off is how the Mainstream uses things and discards them so easily. Let's face it ANIME MADE CARTOON NETWORK.
The irony is that Williams Street never dug anime in the first place. They just saw it as a way to get people to watch their crappy unoriginal programming. They never did the proper advertising necessary to sustain most of these newer shows.

I am also sick as hell of that demeaning Boondocks. Nigga this Nigga that!!! As a black guy I am pretty offended by it but I know alot of white kids who love it, and I make sure to check them about it when I can. Which also leads me to the racism of alot of the folks who watch the fart joke shows. I know alot of guys who hate anime for no damn good reason, refering to it as "that big eyed japanese crap". Yet they go ga ga over papercut animation like SouthPark. PLEASE!!

We been taken for a ride, ok but let us anime types not fall for the old OKIE DOKE, the next time.

I think you're taking this a bit far. For starters, I am a fan of anime and probably always will be. I will miss toonami for what it was when I was new to the fandom. It as an eyeopener, a candy store full of treats I never could have imagined and all at my disposal. Yet on the other hand it's been around 3-4 years since I sat in front of tv and watched the block religiously. Despite my declining interest in the block and its decline in standards for the shows it chose to air, I was genuinely upset when I heard it was canceled kind of like that friend you used to be tight with in high school who you haven't been in touch with for a few years and then you find out they were killed in a car accident (I know it's no where near the same thing but bear with the crappy analogy).

Despite all that I'm not gonna hold a gun to Williams Street's head because they took away my precious childhood anime block. It's no big mystery that William Street and CN have been using anime to pimp their own shows, it's a business I can't fault them for that, and despite my love for this medium I'm not going to knock everything Williams Street has put out. Sure, I hate a good portion of their recent garbage they like to call entertainment. You'll never see me sit through a single second of 12 oz mouse, Tim Eric, or Squidbillies, that stuff...sucks. But robot chicken is actually pretty amusing, I'll watch the venture brothers from time to time, aqua teen hunger force, and saying you're black is no excuse to not give boondocks a chance. Being black myself it's completely evident that show is a satire of black sterotypes and memes, you'd know that if you'd actually sat through an episode.

All that aside you can be upset that CN and AS for that matter are cutting back on their anime but there are still some decent shows to be had there even if they are few and far between.

Last edited by kakoishii on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
PunkDaddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:

Good prediction! Although it just means you spotted the same trend that also hit punk music, grunge, indie horror films, etc. A few visionaries truly love the stuff and push it forward. Other people see the success and say, "I can do that!" and try to do so. Enough success leads to corporate influence to make the product appeal to the "mainstream" (ie: predictably safe for the big retail customers) which waters it down, etc.

dyuken wrote:

I'm not sure if I should applaud you or not. Depends who you mean by Anime Distribution Industry. If you mean only Americans, you miss by at least half. One reason for a dearth of interesting content stems from greenlighting too many projects in Japan because the US and international markets would buy anything. With Geneon and others cutting back so much, there will be less money and the projects will have to pass higher standards (I hope) to get made. The attention from the "mainstream" never makes products bad, it is the lack of artistic standards on the production side...

dyuken wrote:

First, Cartoon Network is not mainstream, it is niche. NBC is mainstream. Second, Williams Street works for Time/Warner. If he wants to survive, he can't make mistakes and must make big $$ for the corporate parent.

There's also his ego to consider. If an anime show makes it big, Japan gets praised, but if it bombs, he gets the blame. If a US show makes it big, he gets praised (they probably also make a lot more money since they own merch rights, etc.) and if it bombs, he probably blames the production house. Switching to US properties is probably a win-win for him.

My guess is that the anime shows that still have a bunch of toy money will get on the CN, but they'd rather focus on their own projects because they make more money.

dyuken wrote:

Could not agree more! Although he won't change his mind until people stop watching. An unfortunate testimony on the mentality of the US viewer is that they LIKE the fart joke shows and will watch it. Maybe if people support internet channels, then we'll get smaller niche programming for those of us with brains.

dyuken wrote:

Hehehe. My cousin has to clear the rights for the Boondocks cartoon. He's always shocked by what the artist (who is black) can get away with. Well, there is no accounting for taste.

Here's to the hope that the mainstream stupidity will continue to be tolerant of our more refined tastes!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, this really bites. Like many fans, I watched my first anime on Toonami (DBZ when it was on the Midnight Run; it's actually kinda funny when I look back on that), and grew up to watch several more anime on there, including Naruto every Saturday. I know that on October 4th there will be a new episode, but after reading all of this, I'm not unsure if we'll even get Shippuuden, and that's what I've been looking forward to after all the fillers are done. I know AS won't touch it (dunno why; it will be better than most of the crap they are showing on there now, and when Sai and Hidan are introduced we are going to be extremely happy for an AS showing I think), so Toonami/CN is pretty much the best shot we have.

Still...eleven years of showing anime and other shows, and now it's gone. That's pretty sad. May it rest in peace then and with good memories. Bang.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
PunkDaddy wrote:
Williams Street works for Time/Warner.[...]There's also his ego to consider.

Shocked Um. You do know Williams Street is not a person, right?

Anyway, three thoughts:
1. Canceling Toonami was a shock for me, too, but, with everything that's been said here, was it really a bad thing considering how the block had ended up? Now we get to see if we can become less "mainstream" (we were never mainstream, but the point is, now we'll be further in a niche than for the last few years). I kind of look forward to that. This blow-out of the last couple years in the R1 industry was (in hindsight) as inevitable as the dot-com bubble burst. Now let's let the dust settle and go back to hunting a little harder for our animé; it won't curb our enjoyment of it, right? It might even increase it.

2. The less animé CN airs, the less I have to watch their channel at night, which means the less promos for their drivel I have to watch; seriously, the level of stupidity in their programming is unrivaled on TV and even what I see in the commercials offends me (and yes, I *do* skip them, now, after having been offended enough times).

3. If CN's animé gets any more scarce at all, I'm canceling my TV service altogether. Seriously. That's not a statement of fanatical reactionism, it's just a sad fact that I only watch 2-4 shows on other channels. CN's animé was the major part of my weekly TV viewing. So, without it, I have even less justification for paying that monthly bill. This is not a bad thing, again: it simply means that I will have to find my animé through other channels (yes, legal, paid channels). Even with having to buy or rent everything I want to see from that point on, I will still probably save money if I cancel TV. So bring it on, CN, make my day and I'll cancel my subscription faster than you can, I don't know, switch shows to horrible timeslots.
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
well you cant cancel CN, there is always ani-monday's on sci-fi.

if you cancel CN then you have to cancel your cable subscription as CN is now part of it.

it wasnt like that 15 years ago.
theshaggyfreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
dyuken wrote:

I pretty much agree with all you have said. I'm 34 and BotP was one of the first anime series that I saw on TV. While I've been a fan of anime for a good part of my life, it was Toonami (and SciFi channel) that really pushed my interest in things. The past couple years, though, CN has been slowly changing their programming to the point where it's mostly all their in house stuff. Their new shows insult the intelligence of both the young and the old.

I've gotten to the point where I watch most of my anime via Netflix and a handful of fansubs. I try and support the industry as much as I'm able to but it seems we have passed a 'golden' era. We've seen the loss of Geneon USA. Tokyo Pop announced cut backs. I highly doubt we'll see the entire industry all but disappear but we may be looking at other companies liquidating their assets in the future.

I know a number of people my age who gave up on anime because they said they 'out grew it'. I for one am a kid at heart and I believe that you shouldn't have to give up on something that you enjoy just because of your age.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20