• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuri!!! on Ice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
Please pardon my ignorance: For those of you who are knowledgeable about the ice skating world, may I ask, why is the Grand Prix Final the be all, end all goal of both Victor and Yuuri? What about the Olympics? I was a little confused as to why Victor, being the multiple gold medal winning athlete that he is, never mentions aiming for the Olympics. In fact, no one does. Is there a reason for that?

I am far from being knowledgeable in figure skating, but I've seen a few people also question the significance of the GPF. In terms of merit, it seems Worlds would be notoriously more prestigious. As for the Olympics, it's not known in which year the series takes place, but the mention of Pyeongchang in episode 9 plus some other hints that sukeotas have tracked down seems to indicated the show takes place literally in the present, the 2016-17 season, so there would be no Olympics this year in the show. So if Victor is tentatively just taking this year off, they couldn't aim for the Olympics, because they won't be taking place.

I think the significance of the Grand Prix comes simply from the fact that, for Yuuri, that's the grand event he failed miserably and almost sent his career down the gutter, so he wants a second chance at the same event to prove his worth. And for Victor I'm actually gonna quote what something I read on tumblr from someone who does know about fs;
Quote:

- The time limit established by Victor in ep.1 - his initial plan was to coach Yuuri until the GPF. It was a good idea at the time - after all, Victor didn’t know if their personalities will mesh well together. If their arrangement didn’t work out, there would be still time after the GP for Victor to return to competition (or to find a new student). Heck, even if it /did/ work out, but “just” in a friendly way, it would be a bit odd for Victor to just hang around in a foreign country with just one pupil. It would be like Celestino dropping all of his business just to coach Yuri in Japan. However, as Yuuri and Victor grew close, the time limit probably started sounding to them less like a smart business decision, and more like a Sword of Damocles hanging over their heads that neither was willing to poke too soon ^^’

Although this might be not as valid after ep 10's reveals, it's an interesting perspective. Even if he did fall head over hells for Yuuri since that banquet, it was still a risky choice to throw everything away for the sake of that cute and drunk Japanese fanboy.

It could also be that Victor felt guilty after having initially mistaken Yuuri for a fan and not even recognizing him as competition, so he wanted to compensate by making him shine the brightest on the same event in which he'd been invisible to Victor.
jutsuri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
I think YOI is the feel-good anime of the season, the lack of judgement and hate make it a great escape from reality.

I would love to see the videos Christoph mentioned, the Yuuri-Yurio dance fight and Victor and Yuuri's dance would make a totally awesome omake.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Ok, this is my first post in for this series and I gotta say I have not been so excited for an anime in a while. I'm seriously considering buying the Blu-Ray ( I'm pretty sure there will be a release). I was trying to re-watch it in English, but I haven't gotten around to that.

Anyway, I have been away from the anime scene for quite a few years now, so I'm usually out of the loop when it comes to what's new out there, I'm glad I started watching this one though. Honestly it was an article I read here that made me binge watch the first 4 or 5 episodes that were available at the moment. If it wasn't for that article, I would have passed over this gem.

In a way hopefully there is a 2nd season, but let's wait and see how the season ends. It might have a very conclusive end that might make a second season redundant.

By the way, I'm sure there was an article about there being nenderoid figures coming out for this series, or did I dream?
Has anyone pre-ordered them yet?

I tweeted Funimation on this subject of the DVD release. This was the response:

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/799305457458298880
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
And....I still haven't calm down!! Anime hyper

As for the realistic gay representation that Gabriella mentioned, Kubo more or less stated that this is a world where the real life politics don't really factor into the story. I mean, makes sense to me. Like, at this point in the series, spoiler[are we really worried that the underdog of a sports anime is going to lose in the final hour? ] This is the most optmistic show of the year so, I'll chill and see what happens next. Also, if this takes place in real world 2015-2017, where would they get the legal papers anyway? Russia and Japan are out; maybe the United States since Yuuri studied in Michigan? *shrugs* All I know is I'm slowly dying thinking about spoiler[how Victor is gonna make it rain when Yuuri "performs" on their honeymoon~] Freaky indeed Gabriella ;P

Just a hunch but, when it comes to the broadcast dubs and BD releases, it seems that it takes almost a year for their US release. Ex. Death Parade premiered on January 2015, the first episode dub was released in February, and the actual LE was released on November 2016. I'm actually to impatient to wait for the US release so, I've already bought the first press of the BluRay (which comes with an uber cute bag!!) and the OST. Damn it I will learn Japanese for this series!
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
My friend and I actually pole danced to Yuri on Ice's History Maker BEFORE it was canon xD I only just uploaded it though so the only proof we did it first is my personal Facebook haha. I actually do the Jade split in it, so that's cool xD

https://youtu.be/wdHGa5MQy0A
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
The previews for next time show him in a cold and seemingly lonely place in winter, with his dog, so I'm thinking it must be a flashback to before Yuri. We may get more of an understanding of what Yuri means in his life.

Re cynicism, I can't blame you. But I think that you're right, the tone the creators are going for is joyous. There's plenty of time now to explore the realities of gay romances, now that they've set the stage. But for this first time, this is perfect.

Aw, I hope so.

In regards to my initial cynical interpretation: (1) not considering the tone of the show in my analysis - a tone that I really liked - is a pretty glaring error; (2) I dislike being that kind of person with those kind of thoughts. I don't think there's anything wrong with a healthy dose of realism and skepticism, and perhaps some cynicism is warranted every once in a while, but I really don't want to let such negative thoughts fester and take root. I've noticed an increase of such thoughts in the past few years, and it makes me disappointed in myself at times.

----

@gabuhaha - Thanks for the explanation!

----

WashuTakahashi - That's awesome!

----

In regards to the question about another YOI thread, long before ANN did Daily Streaming Reviews, we've had series discussion threads in the Anime forum (which were recently separated out into their own Series Discussion forum). We've created a pretty detailed and elaboration Series Discussion Index. When ANN started doing the weekly streaming reviews, there were concerns about splitting the discussion up between two different places, but ultimately it was left alone to exist that way. The Talkback forum exists to mostly discuss things in the here and now, though there are certain threads that never time out due to being review threads. If someone several years from now decided they wanted to discuss their thoughts on YOI, would they be more likely to post in the Weekly Streaming Review thread or the Series Discussion thread? Their thoughts would more quickly be pushed to the 2nd page in the Talkback forum due to its nature, which is less likely to generate any potential discussion, but it's also the place that gets more traffic. Would they think that because it's long past being simulcast that the Series Discussion thread is a more appropriate place? I don't know. I don't think there's necessarily any harm having both threads, though I can understand the complaint about splitting the discussion.

----

If they end up putting out any figures of Yuri and Victor ice skating, I think I might finally break down and make my first import figure purchase. Even those nendos look awesome. I am absolutely dying to get some merchandise for this series. Wait, I just had a realization - since it's likely to be Funimation with the rights, maybe I'll get a chance to purchase a wall scroll for the series! I've been wanting to replace one of my wall scrolls for a while, but I haven't found one for a series I really like because they tend to be more niche. Given YOI's popularity, I think I have more of a chance on getting one I like! My favorite wall scrolls are the ones that capture the emotion of a scene, personalities of the characters, and/or dynamics between characters.

I'm looking forward to the flood of merchandise for YOI. It's been a while since I've had a favorite series that's also really popular and likely to have a lot of merchandise.

I am a bit disappointed (but not surprised) that the Japanese blurays don't have English subtitles. I'm going to buy the domestic release, regardless, but I had been considering on importing the Japanese one as well. The only reason I'd buy it now is for the first print bonuses and that cover art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
If someone several years from now decided they wanted to discuss their thoughts on YOI, would they be more likely to post in the Weekly Streaming Review thread or the Series Discussion thread?

Personally I don't see the reason for worrying about how someone will post in a few years about a contemporary series. First off, such posts are pretty rare. Should we sacrifice a coherent discussion of a series in the here-and-now because of concerns about the occasional one-off post three years from now that hardly anyone will see and even fewer will care to read?

The way to solve the problem you pose is to have one thread per series. Direct the discussions that feed off the episode reviews into the Series Discussion thread. The fact that those threads are related to editorial content isn't really a good enough reason to put them in the Talkback forum.

I'm done derailing this discussion now. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
^This seems more like feedback that should go into the Feedback forum. Anyone who could actually do something about this isn't going to see it from a streaming review post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A little ass-grabbing isn't much after you've already pole danced together while pouring champagne over each other's naked bodies.

Considering the reviewer likes to wave her feminism card I have a feeling that if Yuri were a woman this sentence would have never been written.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I am a bit disappointed (but not surprised) that the Japanese blurays don't have English subtitles. I'm going to buy the domestic release, regardless, but I had been considering on importing the Japanese one as well. The only reason I'd buy it now is for the first print bonuses and that cover art.

I was seriously considering buying the Japanese BD too even though they are crazy expensive! It's the first time I've ever wanted to do that; I want to see all routines performed in the highest resolution possible. The only thing reason holding me back was because of the lack of English subtitles! I wonder if they do that so their sales won't interfere with the American releases.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh my YOI has shook the world again with yet an amazing episode! The athletic promotions are reeling too. Its sad that we only have 2 more weeks before we bid our farewell to this amazing masterpiece(Best Christmas gift too).Kubo sensei and the directress Sayo Y. are planning a sequel it maybe an OVA, or hopefully a 2nd season(btw MAPPA best studio of the year 11/10).

Edit: I just saw that twitter trend about Southpark epidode 10 featuring Crunchyroll's Naruto and Yuri!!! On Ice. How awesome the creator is a fan

Last edited by iamtooawesome on Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
I'm very tempted to buy the Japanese release myself but ugh, I really shouldn't. Between this year having been an iPhone upgrade year and other purchases I've made, plus I'm buying Natsume (at retail price-- damn Aniplex+ bonus!!!) this season, my wallet is very beat up. x__x

I hope FUNimation announces a release soon.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If they end up putting out any figures of Yuri and Victor ice skating, I think I might finally break down and make my first import figure purchase. Even those nendos look awesome. I am absolutely dying to get some merchandise for this series. Wait, I just had a realization - since it's likely to be Funimation with the rights, maybe I'll get a chance to purchase a wall scroll for the series! I've been wanting to replace one of my wall scrolls for a while, but I haven't found one for a series I really like because they tend to be more niche. Given YOI's popularity, I think I have more of a chance on getting one I like! My favorite wall scrolls are the ones that capture the emotion of a scene, personalities of the characters, and/or dynamics between characters.

I'm looking forward to the flood of merchandise for YOI. It's been a while since I've had a favorite series that's also really popular and likely to have a lot of merchandise.

I collect figures, I have a thing for cute things, so I want those nenderoids so bad and if they came out with actual figures I'd be all over them.

As for the home release, it's been a while since I've wanted to buy DVDs/BD, but funimation is definetly getting my $$$$
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:59 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I collect figures, I have a thing for cute things, so I want those nenderoids so bad and if they came out with actual figures I'd be all over them.
MegaHouse has announced a G.E.M. Victor, so here's hoping Yuri (and Yurio) are to follow. Nendos are cute 'n' all but I'd rather have scale figures any day.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
I don't even have a BD player and I'll be buying the BDs. (My computer plays them but Funi has it set so computer players won't work. Thanks Funi!) So I'll be buying the imports.

I think it's possible that Yuri doesn't win. I mean, he's skating against some greats who aren't likely to fail, right? And if he came in second or third, well then, they'd just have to do a sequel! I find myself hoping he fails...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 29