• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Memington

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
There is no happy or whatever ending, the true route is what actually happens. The fake Episode 12 we saw was just a stopgap episode that will get completely ignored from now on. Real episode 12 as well as the next 3 episodes are actually canon and 13-15 will be based on material from the next Light Novel.

The second season will completely and utterly ignore the TV version of 12. You might as well delete it now, it's pointless. I wasn't exactly a fan of the decision but if it gets the remaining novels (feels like it could wrap up soon.. approaching end game) into one 15 episode season than it's all right.

Yeah, but having alternate endings fits so well with the story. It would almost be wrong if there was only one true ending and no other "what if' endings. I'm sure Kirino would be pissed if she had such a straightforward show.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Memington wrote:
Westlo wrote:
There is no happy or whatever ending, the true route is what actually happens. The fake Episode 12 we saw was just a stopgap episode that will get completely ignored from now on. Real episode 12 as well as the next 3 episodes are actually canon and 13-15 will be based on material from the next Light Novel.

The second season will completely and utterly ignore the TV version of 12. You might as well delete it now, it's pointless. I wasn't exactly a fan of the decision but if it gets the remaining novels (feels like it could wrap up soon.. approaching end game) into one 15 episode season than it's all right.

Yeah, but having alternate endings fits so well with the story. It would almost be wrong if there was only one true ending and no other "what if' endings. I'm sure Kirino would be pissed if she had such a straightforward show.

Lmao thats so true, i am liking the true end more than the TV end, its just i dont think its right to have Kirino dissappear. She is the star of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I guess it should come as a surprise to no one that these Kuroneko OVA episodes are proving to more enjoyable than the regular show. Not only does it feature a more immediately likable character the addition of Sena Akagi is a great one, a foe that is actually quite humorous in her perversion. Plus, the added production time gives them the ability to fix the story pacing problems that sometimes got in the way of the weekly TV series- the flow of these episodes is so much better than the others.

If there's a problem it's a lack of real conflict, Kirino certainly provides that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I also think that the new OVAs have been better than the show. I enjoyed the show a lot but now that we've minimized Kirino's involvment and maximized our Kuroneko, Oreimo hasn't been better. My dear Ruri-chan is at her peak and Sena Akagi is a welcome addition. I just watched the last 2 and I was laughing out loud and pretty hard a few times.

I think there's only 2 OVAs left but I would love for them to just continue this out into a second season(I know it won't happen, just wishful thinking). The chemistry between Kuroneko and Kyo has been superb.
Gentry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Just got round to watching the last episode of the true route and feel a bit meh about the whole thing. It was enjoyable for the most part but still seemed a bit unrealistic in it's quick shift to melodrama and bringing back a character that most hate seems like a stupid move too.

Anyway does the manga ever explore the actual "reason" Kirino is so distant with her brother in the first place. Seems like a pointless show if it's just he couldn't be bothered before. I want a really juicy shocking reason or at least something better than what we've got so far.
UnrestrictedMethod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
From episode one to fifteen I really liked it. Kirino might not be the most likable character ever but she was a believable one. Myself, I like her just fine and don't think she's a bad person or anything. True she has trouble expressing her gratitude but she does manage to express it in the series and its all the more meaningful because she had to struggle to break her well-solidified image to do so.

What got me watching this show in the first place was the premise. Any show were a primary character has an embarrassing secret they try to keep from others is a show I'm likely to watch (I've got to watch Maid-sama and Princess Princess sometime). I enjoy seeing their struggles and close calls and how they deal with their situation and how others react when they find out. A show about a popular girl who has to deal with secretly being a nerd catches my interest quite easily.

I've got to say, Oreimo delivered quite nicely on its premise. Its premise was Kirino having to deal with her double life and it was about exactly that. We saw her go from struggle to struggle and how she and her brother dealt with them. I don't really know what more to say beyond that the show gave me exactly what I wanted. That is, until the oav at which point the show changed things up and arguably got better yet for it. I'm glad to see Ruri Goko (my favorite character) get a bigger focus and that uptight yet perverted girl was really fun. Though best of the oav was the climax which provided the series a satisfying ending. spoiler[ That Kyosuke pleads Kirino to come home even though she's not always the easiest person to get along with shows his love very palpably which makes for a very appropriate climax considering the show has largely been about his unconditional love for her.] I like that the brother loves his sister unconditionally. Ultimately that's what makes the emotional core of the show work.

Now if only we could get an oav about Saori, she was an underutilized character.

Edit: I've been reading the comments and wow this show is really hated. I feel like Robert Ebert coming home satisfied from his pre-release screening only to find out critics trounced Knowing. I know that happened yonks ago but Ebert, I feel for you, I do.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Ep 1

Key or someone else with power, add in the season 2 to the title please Smile, the current OP is inactive.

[EDIT: Done. - Key]

New season but we still have Kirino being the typical slave driver she was in the first season, although she did say thanks in her own little way. Too bad Kuroneko's explanation on the kiss was interrupted by Sena.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1

Excellent start to this series again.

Glad to see Kirino and most of the characters back. HHGGG I was not ready for this:

Otherwise, I'm happy to see Kirino happy. Seems like Kyousuke is her little slave this series so far. I wonder how that will progress. Well, I guess he got some sort of "reward" for his efforts. But ya, nice to see this back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The Kuroneko scene was amazing...

Would watch again.

Also, opening scene was hella Freudian (and may explain why Kirino and brother grew apart at one point?)

Anyway, my body is ready...

But then not really because I think I passed out during the Kuroneko scene.

Also also, Kirino's shopping spree reminds me too much of my days at Best Buy's anime section.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Just got Episode 1 of Season 2 a few minutes ago on CR.

There seem to be a lot of developments between the end of the first season and this episode. Were there episodes that CR didn't carry for some reason?

This is really a good anime, but Kirino is really something of a spoiled little bitch, isn't she? I guess that's part of the appeal.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

There seem to be a lot of developments between the end of the first season and this episode. Were there episodes that CR didn't carry for some reason?

There were like a handful of OAVs that were released after the TV series that constitute the "true ending" to the first season...

(in anticipation of the second season, I actually went out and got the DVDs as I had not seen the OAVs yet at the time)

Was worth watching because it had a lot of Kuroneko in it.

HaruhiToy wrote:

This is really a good anime, but Kirino is really something of a spoiled little bitch, isn't she? I guess that's part of the appeal.

Not gonna lie: yes.

The facial expressions she makes while playing eroge kinda awakens a monster in me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
So Kirino is still a bitch on wheels and her bro is still a bagless, spineless doormat for her. All is right with the world.

Kuroneko still totally adorable.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes! Great start to the second season if this awesome anime. I felt bad for Kirino in the opening scene :/ Its no wonder she acts like a bitch to her brother. He pretty much brke her heart and stepped all over it lol can't wait to see her characrer development
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

*clears throat* Kyousuke likes Ruri. Anime catgrin Well we at least know she likes him, and he really seemed to get into that spoiler[Kuroneko (pillow)] I am assuming this would send him over the edge.

Now that the classy stuff is out of the way, it is good that this has returned. We got what looked like a memory where kyousuke spoiler[said some little nasty things to his sister when they were little (she wanted to have a bath with him), and she seemed to change from there]. I don't think that I realized that Kirino was younger than Ruri, probably was not paying attention as I expected the two of them to be classmates. At least there is still Sena, doing her whole fujoshi thing. Actually I did not realize here name was Sena, that seems really funny now.

Wait that flashback! It actually explains something else, Kirino made mention that she started spoiler[track because she was told she was slow], and that is exactly what Kyousuke said to her. I could delve deeper and say that she dyed her hair on the comment of not being able to was her own, but I can't make any comments on dogs, but I found loli Kirino saying that to be adorable.

Another thing sparked my attention, it clearly looks like Kirino has now run out of space for her collection where it was. And Meruru has gone dark magical girl.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I felt bad for Kirino in the opening scene :/ Its no wonder she acts like a bitch to her brother.

For the first time it seems we have evidence that Kyōsuke might be harboring guilt feelings about his sisters attitude had its roots in the way he treated her. If there was that one incident there were probably many others. It could explain is weird willingness to let her walk all over him.

Still -- she needs to grow up and he is in a good position to kick her admittedly cute butt into the right track. He probably doesn't know how.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 56