• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
That makes sense, especially since its April Fool's day. It was nice seeing some of the shows I watched. Found it to be cruel as well though. How I wish for Toonami to return.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Since they've been plugging DVD boxsets after every episode, there is probably a short term deal going on where they show an ep, hawk the DVDs, and after tonight, everything goes back to normal.

Yeah, mind you, only been reviled as the Anti Christ is probably a step up from where Williams Street normally stands in the anime fandom these days.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote
Doubt this could result in Toonami coming back on. Getting the shows for one night must have been mighty difficult, imagine getting them for regular airing. And then there's the question of how many people would continue watching once the nostalgia died down.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
Happy April Fool's!

We kinda had an idea about this. Coincidence that April Fool's this year happened on Adult Swim Action. Laughing

Funny to hear again Tom introduce Roger Smith (same VA of course).

For those who missed, the shows aired, IIRC:

Bleach - "Deceived Soul Reaper! World Collapse Crisis"
Dragon Ball Z - "Save the World"
Gundam Wing - "Heero, Distracted by Defeat"
Tenchi Muyo - "Z"
Outlaw Star - "Maze of Despair"
Big O - "Roger the Negotiator"
Yu Yu Hakusho
Blue Submarine #6
Trigun
Astro Boy
Gigantor

I think I forgot something. But Toonami Digital Arsenal is back up! Laughing
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
wow indeed fandom has rejoice for this give who knows if we might have it get revival showing.

besides for april fools time the drive of toonami has risen again!!!

yes bring it back for those new era to see era of toonami is one of best era of anime.
sommer89

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Ok adult swim did something nice for a change they gave us toonami for a night, but at the same its a april fools prank. Which means this is probly the last time we will see toonami. That in of its self to me is a cruel prank to taughnt us with toonami like that is like dangling a bone in front of a dog.

I did enjoy it but its still a cruel prank at least to me.

Hell i could be wrong too.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
April 1 2012 was the best night/morning/whatever I have had in a LOOONG TIME! I just wanna give the guys at Williams Street a big ol hug! They could have just pranked us again with The Room, but instead they gave us an awesome present! Sure it was only for one night, but TOM & The Absolution were back.

And personally I like to think those Next Week On Bleach adverts were made to kind of leave it open just incase they did decide to make the comeback legit, they probably won't but hey, a guy can dream,
barrelroller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Someone made a video containing the intro and 80% of the commercial bumpers and stuff that were new. They also showed some of the older commercials that they made in the past (which aren't in the video). Worth a watch if you missed it or you didn't watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIzev75-KHk - Intro (was legendary) - "O HI ADULT SWIM!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbovoZRdiCQ (Most of the transitions and new commercials)

I was about to go to bed then at 2 AM, then I saw the Twitterverse spamming #Toonami. Glad I tuned in.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
Ya i was in shock toonami was trending on twitter last night.Gundam Wing, Dragonaball Z,Gohan and Vegeta was also trending for awhile.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
It was neat to see TOM and the Absolution again, but I can't imagine anyone subjecting themselves to that terrible DBZ dub (especially with that racket dub soundtrack) and Gundam Wing doesn't hold up that well. Even worse, they showed an episode of Tenchi Muyo OVA 3, instead of one of the good OVAs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
I...can't believe I missed this. I was at a concert last night then crashed when I got home.

Shame on me!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It was neat to see TOM and the Absolution again, but I can't imagine anyone subjecting themselves to that terrible DBZ dub (especially with that racket dub soundtrack) and Gundam Wing doesn't hold up that well. Even worse, they showed an episode of Tenchi Muyo OVA 3, instead of one of the good OVAs.

There's still an incredible novelty to airing Tenchi material that's never been on TV before.

Although I would have marked out for some Z Gundam or even 00.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Zeta likely isn't licensed for broadcast, and 00's broadcast rights are held by SyFy, so neither of those were possible. SEED would have been, but it never aired on Toonami (it was on between Toonami and Adult Swim, in that hour that wasn't either), or they could've played G.

And someone already pointed out earlier, but they couldn't play anything but the 3rd OAV, because the rights to them are in limbo due to stuff in Japan and Geneon USA's collapse. 3rd OAV was the only thing FUNi could give them permission to play.

It's the same reason they couldn't play an episode of Sailor Moon (no one can give them permission).
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Zeta likely isn't licensed for broadcast, and 00's broadcast rights are held by SyFy, so neither of those were possible. SEED would have been, but it never aired on Toonami (it was on between Toonami and Adult Swim, in that hour that wasn't either), or they could've played G.

And someone already pointed out earlier, but they couldn't play anything but the 3rd OAV, because the rights to them are in limbo due to stuff in Japan and Geneon USA's collapse. 3rd OAV was the only thing FUNi could give them permission to play.

It's the same reason they couldn't play an episode of Sailor Moon (no one can give them permission).

Gundam Seed aired on Toonami in 2004 but was removed due to poor ratings. They actually made some pretty cool commercials for it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Toonami made cool commercials for everything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16