• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Fullmetal Alchemist Premium Collection OVA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
As much as I HATE this anime (love the manga though) this could still be entertaining. And even though I hate the anime, I still BOUGHT it all anyway.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I bet that kid sounds like Kareem Abdul Jabar now.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Redd the Sock wrote:
I thought they'd save those for when they put the movie on Blu Ray.

I'll get it, but this better be cheap, or have extras coming out the wazoo.

And the extras better not just be "dub commentary" and interviews with such "talents" as Vic Mignogna, Chris Patton, and Mike McFarland. I want to hear from Seiji Mizushima, Romi Paku, Michiru Oshima, and more of the Japanese staff and cast.

For someone who claims to not hate dubs, that's a pretty ridiculous way to put it. Heaven forbid that they may want to have extras that feature American voice actors that are very talented. I'd MUCH rather hear the American talents you listed than the Japanese.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
tsukikage wrote:
Sweet. Smile
penguintruth wrote:
I hope they won't be charging a lot for this, since there's so little actual content. I've seen these shorts, and they're fun, but not really worth the price of a normal anime DVD.

I have to agree with you, but I figure Funimation realizes this too, especially with their movements towards economical releases lately. They're not Bandai Visual.

sadly, in this situation, i can't help but think of their burst angel: infinity release. full dvd price with next to no content (the horrendously long and boring 'battle summary' does NOT count)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
tsukikage wrote:
Sweet. Smile
penguintruth wrote:
I hope they won't be charging a lot for this, since there's so little actual content. I've seen these shorts, and they're fun, but not really worth the price of a normal anime DVD.

I have to agree with you, but I figure Funimation realizes this too, especially with their movements towards economical releases lately. They're not Bandai Visual.

sadly, in this situation, i can't help but think of their burst angel: infinity release. full dvd price with next to no content (the horrendously long and boring 'battle summary' does NOT count)

Yeah that one was a pretty big let down. Essentially one episode for the price of four. At least now they did the smart thing with it and made it a part of the Viridian box set for the series. The separate release made sense so that people that had the rest could get it without needing a new set, but the price was too high.

It would be nice if these shorts were put on the Blu-ray version of the movie, whenever that comes out, since I plan on getting that too.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Heaven forbid that they may want to have extras that feature American voice actors that are very talented.

Except none of the dub staff I listed are talented in any fashion.

If they're going to interview people from the dub that have actual talent, they might want to ask Monica Rial or Justin Cook.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I was there at Ohayocon when this was announced. Vic Mignogna actually stopped in the middle of his concert to announce this himself. It was pretty cool.

Yes, Aaron Dismuke will be Al, to whoever asked that. Aaron also mentioned himself that he recently did these shorts at one of his panels.

On a somewhat unrelated vein, Vic also show Fullmetal Fantasy for the first time he's been allowed in years during the same concert. It was great.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Forgive me for respectfully disagreeing with you on that. While I know it's considered quite the cool thing to hate on Vic, the man has turned in more than enough quality performances to be considered talented. Chris Patton and Mike McFarland also do very high quality work and to claim that these three are without talent reeks of extreme bias in my opinion.

penguintruth wrote:
If they're going to interview people from the dub that have actual talent, they might want to ask Monica Rial or Justin Cook.
No real argument as to the talent of these VAs but they weren't exactly in the best roles for FMA.

I've got no problem with you wanting plenty of extras for this release but must you insult the English staff? Really, at the very least couldn't you do it in a way that doesn't make you sound like you think you're opinion is actually an objective statement of reality?
Sarukah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:

Yes, Aaron Dismuke will be Al, to whoever asked that. Aaron also mentioned himself that he recently did these shorts at one of his panels.

That was me Exclamation Well thats cool then that he'll still be doing Al, since no one could ever take his place in that role. I'd really like to hear it now, I'm a huge fan of FMA dubbed. I honestly can't stand the japanese voices for FMA Sad I'll have to wait until it comes out and see if someone posts a short clip on Youtube or some site since I don't have any money to buy this Anime cry
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
That was me Exclamation Well thats cool then that he'll still be doing Al, since no one could ever take his place in that role. I'd really like to hear it now, I'm a huge fan of FMA dubbed. I honestly can't stand the japanese voices for FMA Sad
Trust me, I'm the same way. I absolutely LOVE the dub and actually refuse to watch the Japanese. I can barely stand it for like fifteen minutes before I have to switch it back over to the dub. Anime hyper
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Heaven forbid that they may want to have extras that feature American voice actors that are very talented.

Given the the very large number of roles those people have had, they must not be talented at all. Yep, I'm sure that's why they keep earning these roles.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Given the the very large number of roles those people have had, they must not be talented at all. Yep, I'm sure that's why they keep earning these roles.

This is a hilarious conclusion. By your reasoning, Chris Sabat must be the greatest voice actor of all time, since he's nearly every role in Funimation's dubs. And really, you don't hear Vic Mignogna or Chris Patton that often.

Anyway, I realize I'm splitting hairs at this point. It's not worh continuing to slap fight over, so I'm withdrawing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
Also, does this not seem like the right place for Vic's "Fullmetal Fantasy" project? Maybe? No? Sad

Highly doubtful. That project was buried, buried very deep, when Funimation learned that Vic had been showing it without permission.

-t
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Forgive me for respectfully disagreeing with you on that. While I know it's considered quite the cool thing to hate on Vic, the man has turned in more than enough quality performances to be considered talented. Chris Patton and Mike McFarland also do very high quality work and to claim that these three are without talent reeks of extreme bias in my opinion.

I will agree nowadays most dubs are very acceptable & even enjoyable. We've gotten away from most (most, not all) of the really painful English dubs (The person dubbing Nokoru/Clamp School was painful to my ears. The Japanese cast was much more pleasant, but I believe this was the old dub. The English re-dub for Run! Run! Run! on the latest One Piece was rather annoying-nowhere near as pleasant as the original, but I have the Super Best or whatever collection from Japan, so I listen to the One Piece themes in their original version regularly. I have no problem with the dub, other than the Japanese cast is so awesome, it is great listening to them, but the English cast works very well.)

Richard J. wrote:
[
I've got no problem with you wanting plenty of extras for this release but must you insult the English staff? Really, at the very least couldn't you do it in a way that doesn't make you sound like you think you're opinion is actually an objective statement of reality?

I have issues with the English extras. I'm a fan of commentaries, but I really would prefer hearing about the title & not what little play the VA's in. That's great for wherever the VA's at, but this country is pretty big, so I don't see me heading out from San Diego to go see this or that VA in Texas doing a play. I also have listened to commentaries where all they did was compliment one another's work on various titles (Nurse Witch Komugi--glare, glare. I had been interested that particular ep had a commentary because I'd hoped they'd give some insight into the use of actual directors' names as cast members, but no--it was all a cheer-fest.) There was a GetBackers where I swear they dragged 2 strangers into the studio--they had no info on the title.
Don't get me wrong, I usually listen to the commentary FIRST. TALK ABOUT THE SHOW. Tell us about your feelings when you did this or that scene. What do you expect to happen? Whatever.
One of the BIG difs between Japanese VA interviews & American IS the Japanese tend to talk about the title. They rarely talk about other shows beyond the rare "what are some of the titles you've been in?" (which often just runs across the bottom of the screen or the interviewer says it). The Code Geass commentaries are interesting because they have the artists there plus some VA's who comment on how they felt doing this or that scene. Fukuyama commented on how different LeLouch is from the usual hero-the coward bit with Cornelia.
And heaven forbid the Japanese talk about themselves. Maybe they mention going out drinking last week, but they really aren't into the "Me, Me Me" stuff like most of the Americans are. How they got their head in place for this or that. How hard or easy the character was. Etc. Etc. Etc.
And what was up with the Princess Tutu extras? They were just weird (ballet lessons?) ADV seems to come up with some really weird ideas when it comes to extras. I'm cool with commentaries & out-takes (& more than just mis-speaks. Those Kenshin out-takes are pretty entertaining in themselves. Same for Berserk. The condom hat is still a joke in my house).
And give us the Japanese extras. Please. I know most American fans can't tell the Seki's apart, but I can. I can pick Ishida out. I knew the voice as soon as I heard it in Clamp School. When I'm flipping thru Newtype or Animage, I recognize several of the VA's by their pictures. ADV used to say the extras cost more which always sounded like a lie because MediaBlasters (who I love to death, but don't they seem like the guys selling stuff at a swap meet? I used to ask about this or that & they really didn't seem to know too much about their titles) are one of the most reliable companies for Japanese original extras. It's like-MB can throw in cast interviews (the ones with Midorikawa & Miyata on Sukisho were funny, but strange-sweet-talking a jar of honey?), don't tell me you can't.
It really doesn't hurt to know the material. I found the commentary on One Piece Voyage 3 sort of telling. There's a big dif between the American studios & how they approach the titles. Eric Vale, I believe, was commenting how they had to track the minor characters to be sure they were the same VA's in the English dub because they're recurring, but not regulars-like Pirate B speaking in ep 28 may not speak again until ep 30, but he has to be the same. (Sort of like how Funi used different VA's for the same characters on Case Closed? Just because they character only popped up ever 30 eps or so?) How come Japan can keep it straight? They seem to manage to call in the same VA for the magazine publisher who only shows up 3 times in a season.
It really seems the approach of the studio. If one approaches it "One size fits all" like a lot of the American studios do, these things happen. One the other hand, there are the commentaries where the people speaking have all this info & know about the title, or they talk aboiut the research they did to do their job translating the project which suggests a bit more care going into the work.
I'm supposed to respect studios that don't respect the project? Actors that just see it as a job?
I might accept the work as ok, but the VA's I like on the English side tend to be the ones in interviews & commentaries who seem to have a bit of passion about their work.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
vtnwesley wrote:
Also, does this not seem like the right place for Vic's "Fullmetal Fantasy" project? Maybe? No? Sad

Highly doubtful. That project was buried, buried very deep, when Funimation learned that Vic had been showing it without permission.

-t

And (when I was there at the announcement in Vic's concert) he actually played Fullmetal Fantasy after the announcement. He said he had finally been given the OK to play it again, but when he described the premium collection that's finally going to be available he mentioned the four shorts but did not say anything about Fullmetal Fantasy being on it. I actually wondered the same thing myself, but you would think he would have mentioned it would be on there especially since he played it for us right after he made the announcement. So, I too highly doubt it will be on there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3