• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-02-18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
"expired grocery-store sushi"

Nothing against grocery-store sushi, but the fact that it's expired...

Just thinking about it this early in the morning makes my stomach spin. Food poisoning is not cool, especially when mixed in with trippy anime. Kevin needs to get her a big bubbly glass of pop, now!
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
Oh come now, Gankutsuou's backgrounds are far more awesome and trippy than that comic's were. =D
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
At first I didn't get the joke, then I remembered the clips of Gankutsuou I saw in the contest thread. I've seen one episode of Mononoke, which uses that style too. It doesn't make me ill or anything, I just think it looks ugly and cheap. Does Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei use that style too? *bumps it down the to-watch list*

Re: the comic, I love Myoopi Anime smile
mow123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
Great strip. I loved Gankutsuou and its animation style, but at the same time I can understand why it might make people noxious. My brother really like the series too, but he took a full point off his rating because he thought the animation was too distracting.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
So what happened to Myoopi when Nina got sick? Kevin seems strangely calm though, as well as dressed for the occasion.

Great comic, though I do wonder why Myoopi is green though.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Kevin seems strangely calm though, as well as dressed for the occasion.

Well, Kevin's a smooth kinda guy. Smile
I just love what his eyebrows are doing in the penultimate panel.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
At first I didn't get the joke, then I remembered the clips of Gankutsuou I saw in the contest thread. I've seen one episode of Mononoke, which uses that style too. It doesn't make me ill or anything, I just think it looks ugly and cheap. Does Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei use that style too? *bumps it down the to-watch list*

SZS doesn't really use that style; just occasionally for Itoshiki's robes, and a couple of times if someone is wearing a kimono. The Negima Ala Alba OVA does this for kimonos as well, but again, it's not nearly as distracting as Gankutsuou's use of the technique.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
nerei wrote:
I was able to finish watching the show as well, but must admit that the animation style takes a fair bit of getting used to.

And then once you get used to it, you start to think that it's the most beautiful anime that you've ever seen. Oh, Gankutsuou, how I adore thee... Anime smile

I agree, but only to a point. Haydée was always really well done, but some of Albert's and Franz's suits were hideous. There's no getting around that. I still loved the series though, and the ending theme was so amazing that I watched it every time.

And did anyone else notice that Nina's barf was also textured? Nice touch.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I agree, but only to a point. Haydée was always really well done, but some of Albert's and Franz's suits were hideous. There's no getting around that. I still loved the series though, and the ending theme was so amazing that I watched it every time.

I just took that to mean that Albert and Franz (especially Albert) had poor taste as young aristocrats.
But let's not mention the flames on the Count's sleeves. Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Good one. I've never watched 'Gankutsuou' (nor did I want to) but I heard it was good. At least the most 'Elfen Lied' had that was artsy ('Gustav Klimt') was at the beginning and that was it. The rest was blood. Don't think I could watch a show like 'Gankutsuou'. But since we're on the subject of tripping animation. Try 'Thief and Cobbler'.

Man talk about coincidences today. Smile
Soldat of life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
Lucca_Ashtear wrote:
Great comic! Oddly, I can honestly relate to this. I loved the heck out of Gankutsuou but I was unable to watch more than one episode at a time because of nausea (the oversized tv screen probably wasn't doing me any favors, either).

I remember this effect, though I watched the series all in one go without having an ill effect, other than finding somewhat interesting the strangeness of the style. Nice show all in all.

On topic, I really liked the colour pattern of the vomit ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Blows my mind how anyone can be freaked out or made ill by this style. The first time I watched Gankutsuou, my only reaction was "Holy crap, this looks AWESOME!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, Nina, thanks for reminding me what I did last night in the last panel. I know her pain
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, I had the same reaction as Nina and never made it past episode 1. Which was rather frustrating considering the Count of Monte Cristo is one of may favorite novels. Maybe I will try and work my way through it one of these days, but it is not something I am looking forward to considering the massive headache this show gave me when I watched it on the Newtype USA (Oh, how we miss thee!) DVD.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This web comic needs to be in CG this week, just to get the full effect. Very Happy

I love Gankutsuou and I've heard some very interesting stories about the motion sickness, that came with it.

It didn't bothered me one bit though, while watching the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5