• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Discontinue Home Video, Manga, Novel Sales (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
WELP.

Time to get the DVD set of Outlaw Star, SEED and E7 while I can.

I feel sorry for Ocean, I really do. Bandai used them quite a bit for the Gundam dubs. Whoever gets the license for the series (IF anyone gets the license) probably won't use them.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
urgh. Time to buy stuff.

$$$$ Anime dazed
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Entertainment products form a large part of my collection and I'm glad I picked up the titles I liked as soon as they were released, especially the LE versions. Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, Witch Hunter Robin, Eureka Seven, Arjuna, Cowboy Bebop, Flag are just some examples of the BE titles sitting on my shelves. My most prized of all are the Limitied Edition Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex series and Solid State Society movie. That was back when LE's included things like T-shirts, figures, OST CDs, playing cards, manga, etc. and there was eager anticipation every two months for when the next volume was released. In many ways I miss those days, and I'm certainly going to miss Bandai Entertainment.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. Didn't we already know this?

Anyway, from my understanding of how this industry works, bandai Japan may have realized that the few extra sales they get from international fans buying the releases that have an English sub combined with the loss of the reverse importation problem trumps whatever money they were making by licensing.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm confused. Didn't we already know this?

Are you familiar with the term "update"
ZeroFlame16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Heres hoping I can get some of the Bandai Releases while they last. Hope some studio gets the rights to release Bandai titles like how Funimation did for Gencon.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope some one will rescue Lucky Star manga
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
sommer89 wrote:
Ok what am i suppost to do now since for some reason the bandai people in japan wount shipp standard dvds to the sates when they get to enjoy them in japan. I still resist blu ray since i see little difference in quality. And to me thier alienating a whole market by doing this and im guessing ill get flack for the this post. I hope the bandai pukes in japan read posts on this site. Its like they enjoy toying with us. The bandai pukes in japan have no respect for north american customers at all other wise they would never have don't this.

Bandai pukes?

They did what was in their own best interest. It's what businesses do. For some reason or another they felt they no longer needed this branch. They're not toying with you. They have more important things to do. Like run their company.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
sommer89 wrote:
Ok what am i suppost to do now since for some reason the bandai people in japan wount shipp standard dvds to the sates when they get to enjoy them in japan. I still resist blu ray since i see little difference in quality. And to me thier alienating a whole market by doing this and im guessing ill get flack for the this post. I hope the bandai pukes in japan read posts on this site. Its like they enjoy toying with us. The bandai pukes in japan have no respect for north american customers at all other wise they would never have don't this.

Why would they have respect for customers that pay 10% of what their local customers pay? Theres really no reason to go out of their way for foreigners who aren't willing to pay standard price, especially if the branch isn't really making them much money. It could be as simple as removing one area on their books that isn't performing up to expectations.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Kinda make you wonder who is next, will Viz or Funimation bite the dust? Is Neo-ADV going to be alive for much longer?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if some other anime company will pick up Haruhi Suzumiya. I'd like to get it on BD, but as the whole series, not separate editions of season 1 and 2.

Other than that the only Bandai release I have on my wish list at the moment is Rocket Girls. I'll have to get that soon then, if it's even still available.

Last edited by Kimiko_0 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd like for the Kannagi manga to be rescued. That's probably asking for a lot though...
GYRAX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I wonder if some other anime company will pick up K-On! and Haruhi Suzumiya. I'd like to get K-On!! season 2 and the movie on DVD, and Haruhi on BD, but as the whole series, not separate editions of season 1 and 2.

Other than that the only Bandai release I have on my wish list at the moment is Rocket Girls. I'll have to get that soon then, if it's even still available.

Since Sentai licensed season 2 of K-On, I assume they would rescue season 1. I wouldn't be surprised if they got Haruhi, too. That's just speculation, though.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I've got no money or job so this doesn't matter to me =_=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully another company can pick up some licenses. I would love some bluray rereleases of stuff like Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Haruhi, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9