• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chi's Puffs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
Ok... after looking at the collection again, are you sure $3k a month? Is this like Canadian dollars or US? And is 3K the average or the peak amount? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good collection, just small for a 3k a month type of collection.

In the days before box sets, you'd be getting one DVD a time at $25-$30 a DVD. That's about 100 DVDs a month, at about 5-7 DVDs for a 26 episode series, or about 14-20 series a month, with a few movies thrown in. I agree that seems like a big number even for a collection his size (though with many longer-running series, you could have even bigger number of DVDs per show). My first question would be, how many months has he been buying that stuff?

That's what I'm talking about! I've been buying since VHS... yeah yeah... but 3k sounds... high... maybe $300? I dunno.

This is what I'd expect to see at the very least with a 3K anime budget:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=120656&id=623358326&l=c00c141169
But that's just me, I guess?[/url]
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
Ok... after looking at the collection again, are you sure $3k a month? Is this like Canadian dollars or US? And is 3K the average or the peak amount? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good collection, just small for a 3k a month type of collection.

In the days before box sets, you'd be getting one DVD a time at $25-$30 a DVD. That's about 100 DVDs a month, at about 5-7 DVDs for a 26 episode series, or about 14-20 series a month, with a few movies thrown in. I agree that seems like a big number even for a collection his size (though with many longer-running series, you could have even bigger number of DVDs per show). My first question would be, how many months has he been buying that stuff?

And my second would be... are there really that many series and movies that are worth actually owning??? I mean, let's say it's only 10 series a month, that's 120 series a year. I mean, I love anime, but if you buy the stuff because you want to be able to re-watch them every once in a while... where do you get that much time!?

Thank you! I've been wondering the same thing. I mean, yes, I love anime too, but I have maybe somewhere between 25 and 30 anime that I really like and stick with. That guy's collection is impressive, I'll admit, but I have to wonder how many of those series does he actually like? How would you have the time for that many anime and manga? Does he really love each and every one of those series? Or did he collect some out of some sick compulsion to have anything and everything anime and manga? Yes, I am a bit jealous, I am also impressed, but I'm also disturbed. That is an impressive, but scary collection.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
And the way it seemed to cover just about every genre lends to the theory that he only collects for the sake of collecting.
PrettyCranium

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Strange, I'm a geeky anime-loving girl from Ontario -- but I think I'm 10 years too old for Mr. Nguyen and his impressive collection Embarassed .
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I've read through this thread and have nothing to add, except that I am surprised that nobody commented on the horrid DBZ: Evolution music video. I stopped before it was even halfway over, it was just that bad.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
wow, i wish i had $3000 of disposable income a month. actually $3000 income before living expenses would be nice. of course, i wouldn't waste it on anime - i already think i spend too much per month on that and am having trouble keeping up.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
I don't think I could spend 3K a month on anime/manga even if I bought everything I wanted every month.

It's actually really easy if you don't pay attention. However, it gets harder the longer you collect, more as a function of what is left to buy than what is worth buying.

That music video was pretty bad, but to be fair, you should give the official link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzf6HhcdHFE (as the current one looks like somebody used a cell phone to record it off somebody else's phone.) Sadly, this further proves my theory that no matter how bad something is, a higher quality version always looks good (or at least tolerably better.) Must be why I'm still waiting for the DB:E BD to fall below my purchase threshold from a reliable seller, despite knowing how drop-dead-terrible the movie really is.
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Heh. So the guy has 3k to blow on anime per month, yet his TV pic has him showing off an illegal rip of Code Geass R2 from the Japanese TV station TBS.
Just lost my respect right there. If ya got that sort of money, buy the DVD/Blu-rays.

So apparently anyone who buys a big TV, and buys anime, has to only buy anime? Give me a break.

It would be a different story if the entire room was a large TV with stacks of DVD-R's and portable hard drives with a fansub on the screen, but then that would never have made it onto shelf life ^^;;

What an annoying comment, vulcanraven01… And james039 you just described my room right there, hate me, hate me! (Rising his hand as third grader :p)
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Actually his collection sounds about right, because he did say he only started collecting this year, which would be a little more than 8 months and thats if he started at the beginning of the year. The nintendo ds part of the collection alone would be about 3000 dollars or a month worth of money. All in all his assessment of his collection is most likely right. I would say any normal person that actually has some sort of life would never spent that much money on entertainment. According to him he spents as much money on anime and manga as a teacher makes in a year. He either works all the time and spents all of his money on this and doesn't have any time to watch and play all the things or, some one left him alot of money and this is all he does. All i know this guy is crazy because I don't think I have even spent 3000 dollars on my entire collection.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
And the way it seemed to cover just about every genre lends to the theory that he only collects for the sake of collecting.

That doesn't necessarily have to be the case. There are people out there who have a very broad taste. I mean, my favourite series include Swan and The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

On the other hand, I can't imagine spending $3000 every month on anime, games and manga alone. Maybe if I won the lottery I'd splurge and buy everything on my wishlist and spend $3000 in one month that way, but after that I'd go back to what I usually spend.
kaitune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Heh. So the guy has 3k to blow on anime per month, yet his TV pic has him showing off an illegal rip of Code Geass R2 from the Japanese TV station TBS.
Just lost my respect right there. If ya got that sort of money, buy the DVD/Blu-rays.

Well, considering that it is the final episode of Code Geass 2, I guess he would probably buy the DVD/Blu-ray when it IS out. $3000 doesn't quite cover time travel.

However, even if he wouldn't buy the DVD when it comes out, most of us all watch stuff illegally sometimes (or often) especially when the newest stuff just come out or when it hasn't hit the country yet, and it seems that he still supports the industry fairly well.

panzer.time wrote:

Umm... What is wrong with having a broad taste? I have titles from various genre (Josei, shojo, shounen, seinen, hentai, yaoi, American comic, action, comedy, guro, whatsoever etc) in my rooms too, and I am hardly a collector. People sure have favorite, but that doesn't limit their choice.

$3000 is a hell frickin lot, but I know people who collect figure and limited edition stuff, plus ordering doujinshi all the time, and $3000 can be burned away before you know it. However, I am a bit curious about how long he has been this hardcore though, since the stuff in his room is quite impressive but not THAT impressive for a guy who spend that much. If $3000 is kind of the maximum number rather than a monthly average, that would make more sense.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:

I'm going to have to say the same things others have said....so what. Are we not allowed to have varying tastes? I myself have a rather large collection (though it took me years to get it not just 1) that would rival his ruth be told. I have anime and manga from all sorts of genres. Just about any you can think of I have at least 1-2 titles of. The reason? I enjoy a good story regardless of genre. I would bet many avid collectors would fall into the same category. I sure do wish I made 3k a month PERIOD though. Could pay off debt and splurge when grocery shopping. Then buy extra anime.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
Looks like I made a real bad assumption there. Sorry guys.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They could've made a movie that wildly deviated from canon...

Wow, really? Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I admit I'm curious about Heroic Age, despite the previous review saying it wasn't terribly good. But I remember something about the monster designs being particularly awesome, so I would like to see it just for the sake of "daikaij-esque" space battles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4