• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Deadman Walking

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
there's a dragon because the entire movie is also supposed to be an homage to Sleeping Beauty

How is there a dragon in Sleeping Beauty? Maybe it was in the Disney film, which I've never seen.

Like Animegomaniac, I prefer Hellsing TV to Ultimate. The TV show was first of all a horror, whereas Ultimate is about crazy shonen action. Maybe Ultimate is closer to the manga, but I prefer horror.

Also, Ultimate had problems with messy structure, and pointlessly long fights (it's shonen, duh). Plus the chibi moments were (mostly) not funny. Plus Alucard frequently looked almost bishonen, which is just plain wrong.

All that said, if the rest of the OVA is (finally) issued, I will pick it up because I'm interested in seeing where the story goes (please tell me it doesn't just suddenly end).
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Yes, King of Thorn was tiring. After seeing it at Otakon one morning, I knew I didn't need to buy it now. As someone said earlier, the first 22 minutes felt like a first episode mark, with all the explanations taking so damn long, I was screaming "Just get to the thorns!" Figuratively, not literally. After that, everything just felt rushed and complicated, and I wanted the little Russian(?) kid to die.

It should also be mentioned that there are scenes where everything is replaced with CGI animation, and it shows. A lot. The characters; they all suddenly turn into weird looking 3D images, no better than the framing animation from Dead Space: Aftermath. It's. That. Bad.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
It should also be mentioned that there are scenes where everything is replaced with CGI animation, and it shows. A lot. The characters; they all suddenly turn into weird looking 3D images, no better than the framing animation from Dead Space: Aftermath. It's. That. Bad.

I'm glad you mentioned this as I found this to be jarring upon viewing the film a couple of years ago. A shame really as Sunrise are known for high-quality production normally so I was surprised to see this amateur, Gonzo-CG style approach to the animation here.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
I've watched G̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶T̶h̶r̶o̶n̶e̶s̶ King of Thorn right after finishing reading manga and yes, it was much worse. Manga though really rocks! Definitely worth your time.
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
This weeks shelf space looks like something out of Oreimo. Laughing
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Quote:
there's a dragon because the entire movie is also supposed to be an homage to Sleeping Beauty

How is there a dragon in Sleeping Beauty? Maybe it was in the Disney film, which I've never seen.

There's at least a dragon in the Disney film, and a couple other adaptations. I've never read the OG story, but either way, that thorn dragon was pretty dumb.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
All that said, if the rest of the OVA is (finally) issued, I will pick it up because I'm interested in seeing where the story goes (please tell me it doesn't just suddenly end).

If it follows the manga, then its ending will be complete and not rushed. There's even an epilogue of sorts to wrap everything up.

As for Deadman Wonderland, I definitely agree. I see it as the horror equivalent of ecchi/fanservice anime. It was great fun to watch if you like gore, but it doesn't have much more than that going for it. Oh, and what is the extra episode Fuinmation has been talking about? When I saw the DVD at Best Buy, I thought it said 13 episodes and 1 OVA instead of 12 episodes and 1 OVA, but I may be mistaken.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
eyeresist wrote:

If it follows the manga, then its ending will be complete and not rushed. There's even an epilogue of sorts to wrap everything up.

As for Deadman Wonderland, I definitely agree. I see it as the horror equivalent of ecchi/fanservice anime. It was great fun to watch if you like gore, but it doesn't have much more than that going for it. Oh, and what is the extra episode Fuinmation has been talking about? When I saw the DVD at Best Buy, I thought it said 13 episodes and 1 OVA instead of 12 episodes and 1 OVA, but I may be mistaken.

There are 13+ova
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That having been said, I don't love the dub, which older fans may still have memories of.

SERIOUSLY???

That's a shock, cause practally almost everyone here state side LOVED the english dub for the hellsing tv series which was why they brought that same cast to voice in Ultimate.

Never saw the manga ( no thanks to tokyopop ) nor the OVA but i did watched it on AS and it was a preety decent and should be in shelf worthy alongs as if there is a second season to it. i would really hate for another series that have potential to end up like tokko which was good,but felt incomplete & got cut short and having people wanting more.

as for the king of thorn movie, sure they cramped too many ideas to one movie,but it's still a good movie,though it's a rental at best. it's too good and have too much potential to be in perishable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Maigraith wrote:
unready wrote:
Bamboo Dong wrote:
never before have I seen characters whose secret weapons are physical manifestations of their blood

Speed Grapher, to add another one (the bad guy at the end)

Also, Trinity Blood, Samurai Deeper Kyo, and Nightwalker: the Midnight Detective, probably also include Soul Eater.

And Inuyasha, which I imagine is worth forgetting. (Not that he ever accomplished anything with that attack, anyway.)

spoiler[And, technically, almost every anime from that genre that Bamboo isn't reviewing anymore. heh.]

Blood-bending?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

There's at least a dragon in the Disney film, and a couple other adaptations. I've never read the OG story, but either way, that thorn dragon was pretty dumb.

Yeah, the dragon is a Disney invention. The original stories (the earliest coming from Arabian Nights and the creepiest originating in Italy) are more concerned with sex and eating children, I'm afraid. King of Thorn was based off of the Grimm Brothers' version of 1857, "Little Briar Rose." (Rather more than it was based on the source manga, in some ways...)
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
@ jr0904

Yes, people complain about the dub here lately. Apparently having one non-British VA ruins the whole thing. Personally, I never noticed that Sera's VA wasn't British until people started pointing it out. Afterwards, I did notice her voice lapses a little bit but not enough to ruin it for me. For the most part, I think she does pretty well, especially since she was asked to alter the accent from the tv series. But I think the dub is good and I would imagine it's hard to find British VA's to do anime. Anyway, I'm scared to talk about it since I once got threatened with a club beating for defending it.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I love both the TV and the OVAs of Hellsing. Both for different reasons. I haven't watched the dub but I'm excited about actually having copies of the show.

As for Deadman Wonderland I just can't make myself get into a long series. I barely have any interest left for my old obsession that is Naruto. Knowing that Deadman Wonderland is a continuing manga series put me off.
...Hell, I just recently bought all of Inuyasha since the story is officially finished, though just not all released in the US yet (soon though).

Haven't seen King of Thorn...
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
I love both the TV and the OVAs of Hellsing. Both for different reasons. I haven't watched the dub but I'm excited about actually having copies of the show.

As for Deadman Wonderland I just can't make myself get into a long series. I barely have any interest left for my old obsession that is Naruto. Knowing that Deadman Wonderland is a continuing manga series put me off.
...Hell, I just recently bought all of Inuyasha since the story is officially finished, though just not all released in the US yet (soon though).

Haven't seen King of Thorn...

Well, the Deadman anime is currently only 12 episodes long and as for the manga, I think Tokyopop ended on the sixth volume. And the manga is currently on hiatus in Japan. So you probably have time to catch up if you change your mind.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:

There are 12 episodes, but then there's an OVA that takes place 2 years after the Red Hole and follows Crow as his previous occupation of a cop. Though, I found that I couldn't quite bring myself to care about it because a) I found the ending to the actual TV series to be super incomplete and b) really, there's a cop running around killing people with his blood blades? Oh, okay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4