• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Mushiroom Cloud

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james039

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Nadja Applefield sighted. Nice to see she's made friends with the Ojamajo Doremi girls. Smile

I've always been reluctant to check out sports-themed anime series, mainly because I don't like baseball, or tennis. Razz
I might actually look into Ookiku Furikabutte as a result of this column, though I ignored it when I first heard of it.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
skyechan wrote:
E-cookies to you both; the two series were Ojamajo Doremi and Case Closed. xD I was so surprised to see my shelves chosen! Woot!

Major points to you for not only the Detective Conan love, but also having Magic Kaito. <3
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Life wrote:
I'd be hiding something if I didn't also mention that Big Windup! is really homoerotic.

Actually no, you DID NOT need to mention that. You do a disservice to the show by looking at it thru yaoi-colored glasses. Yes, there are girls/guys who LOOK for this kind of thing. But if you don't even mention it in the first place; that idea won't even come into the mind of your average sports-anime watcher (or just regular viewer for that matter).
skyechan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
Nadja Applefield sighted. Nice to see she's made friends with the Ojamajo Doremi girls.

Well...Nadja took over Doremi's timeslot after all...

I really wish this series was licensed for the US; I'd love to see more of it. :/

Dragynstorm wrote:
skyechan wrote:
E-cookies to you both; the two series were Ojamajo Doremi and Case Closed. xD I was so surprised to see my shelves chosen! Woot!

Major points to you for not only the Detective Conan love, but also having Magic Kaito. <3

Let's face it: I only got into Detective Conan BECAUSE of Kaitou Kid. <3 I was absolutely shocked when I found the manga at Sasuga's storefront at Katsucon a few years back. They even had the then recently released volume 4! o_o;;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Did the article just ruin the ending to the "Kids" segment of the FMA OVA Collection?

I really think it did.

It's only slightly more explicit then the review for the OVA collection. And considering that the consensus seems to be the "Kids" OVA is the only one that's more then incredibly average entertainment value, I'll thank Bamboo for saving me the cost of renting the disc to learn that little detail.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I didn't care for the MushiShi film at all. The Ginko portrayal was only partially on the mark, but the rest of the cast was way off. They seemed far weaker and more dependent, which I saw as a major detractor. Plus, a lot of the acting was quite amateurish. It kind of felt like I was watching somebodies college project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Flarona

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
But have to wonder if this is kind of what those "boy's love" character designs look like. It might be the use of rosy cheeks and big guys but the series definitely struck me as a series that females would enjoy more then guys would. Then all the hand holding came up and I just thought, "Oh man, this must be alot of yaoi doujin of this series." Luckily I think the manga doesn't go any deeper then that. Also the fact that the orginal manga artist is a woman might make it easier to understand as to why the character's have such a soft design to them compared to other sports animes. She might be a fujoshi or at least familiar with it all.

Actually she's only been published in Afternoon, but I don't know, maybe she does have some fujoshi deep inside because also her earlier work Yukutokoro included some homosexuality (and mental and physical problems etc.) But one could also think about her works as something that doesn't materialize or estrange homosexuality which is still widely overlooked in Japan (or so I have heard).
Oh, and usually BL series don't look like that (I even asked my friend about it). They should all look more bishounen than they do if this was a typical boy's love story for girls. Laughing

That left aside, I am a girl but I don't really care about fanservice nor slash pairings (honestly!) but still I enjoyed the Big Windup anime. There was only one or two times when I briefly thought of something perverted and that's it. Now I'm reading the manga too because one of my friends recommended it to me, and I still like it although the last game I finished felt a bit too long.

Most of the time Mihashi makes me want to tell him "ganbare!" (One should keep in mind that he was bullied in his previous school.) I guess this anime suits both boys and girls because it has two sides in it. Or more, depending on the way you count them.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
With the Fullmetal Alchemist OVA, at least Bamboo's not complaining about Aaron Dismuke's voice change, an argument I have no understanding of. All in all, I still maintain this disc to be fun especially if you're a fan.

Also, for anyone who's watched the dub of the Mushishi movie (I just ordered my copy), does it sound like they used the same dub cast of the Anime, like Viz did with the Death Note films? If not, I'm glad there's a dub either way. I normally watch live-action Japanese movies subbed, but I showed select episodes of the Anime to my family, and the only way they would watch the movie is if it was in english.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
SakichanBD wrote:
Mihashi is, hands down, the most irritating main character that has ever been created. He's shy, he's insecure, he cries all the time, and his face perpetually wears a look of bewilderment and fear. What he lacks in confidence, though, he makes up for in pitching ability—even if he doesn't recognize it, or believe it. With the growing bond between him and the catcher, though, he starts to get over his fears and trust in his skills.
Shinji Ikari plays baseball? What a clever lad he is. Wink
Shousetsuka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I thought Mihashi from Big Wind-up was an interesting protagonist, if only because he wasn't typical. He was a wimp, he had confidence issues, and he was constantly picked on and degraded; yet through all this, he still wanted to pitch, and he never stopped chasing his dream, despite the hardships. Goodness knows I'd have quit the show immediately if he was another cocky prick like Ryoma from Prince of Tennis.

This isn't to say that I didn't want him to come out of his shell more, and I would have preferred that there was more progress, but he did learn to trust, even if it was just one person. I was satisfied enough with that.

As for the homoerotic part, well...I saw the show while it was on TV in Japan (where I lived at the time). I thought the same thing, until I got a job at a local high school and helped out with the baseball club. This is just my personal experience, but those boys were really close. I suppose training everyday, mornings and afternoons, for a full year kinda does that to people. They were always all over each other, though I doubt any of them came out with the line, "I really like you!" But hey, as a major Japanese baseball fan, I have to say that it kept me highly entertained, and it stayed about as true to high school baseball as a show could. I'd recommend it for sure.
Sydra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I didn't care for the MushiShi film at all. The Ginko portrayal was only partially on the mark, but the rest of the cast was way off. They seemed far weaker and more dependent, which I saw as a major detractor. Plus, a lot of the acting was quite amateurish. It kind of felt like I was watching somebodies college project.

Agreed. The ending was particularly painful for me. They tried to make more like a bit of horror movie/ghost story with regards Nui. Really kinda ruined her character.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Bamboo wrote:
I'd be hiding something if I didn't also mention that Big Windup! is really homoerotic.
I think you just increased the marketability (though not for me) of this title ten fold in a way that FUNi never could. I think half the girls ears just perked up.
I must admit mine did (what can I say, I'm shameless), though it actually happened when they were discussing it in the podcast a few weeks ago. It would be a first for me, though (the sports-anime part, not the homoerotic part Laughing). Seems like it's worth checking out, despite (?) the whiney hero.

I'd like to see Mushishi too, but that's mostly because I find Odagiri Joe charming. Even in a white wig.
Bob_The_Fish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
A Mushishi movie! Awesome!

I read through all of your reviews in the past few days (I honestly have been curious to see what reviews have been given out to some of my favorites, and I agree with a lot of your choices)
A heads up though, since streaming anime, you MUST, absolutely MUST watch Time of Eve.

http://www.timeofeve.com/e/

The short snippets of a scifi world that not only alludes to famous works such as Isaac Asimov's I, Robot, but also gives a fantastic glimpse into various questions that the whole topic of artificial intelligence creates, yet does so, aptly enough, in a coffeeshop manner, (which coincidentally, is both the setting and the series' namesake, a coffeeshop named "Time of Eve").

You won't regret it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film is appropriately grainy when they're shooting landscape shots of foggy mountains, though I have to wonder if it was in an attempt to mimic the anime, or there just wasn't enough light.

Actually, it's because they used a DV recorder. And movies shot on that format tend to look like crap. But studios like to use 'em 'cus they're cheap. A few recent examples of that kind of lens(which I hear actually work) can be found in Public Enemies and Cloverfield.

Quote:
a village of grubby old Japanese farmers.

I think Otomo might be one of those farmers.

Keonyn: Yeah, the supporting cast came off amateurish, but their profiles added authenticity to the setting. If they cast a bunch of idols for those parts, you wouldn't take them as seriously. Or maybe I'm just glad it wasn't as much a total misfire like Steamboy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3