• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gundam 00 DVD Season 1 Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I must disagree about the English dub of Gundam 00. It's really all over the place, and one of Ocean's worst in years. Voice actors sound too old or too young, half-asleep, are overused as extras, or just plain painful to the ear to listen to, like the voice for Sergei. Even vets like Brad Swaille and Scott McNeil miss the mark more often than not. It's really like they phoned it in half the time in the English version of this program.

I guess after a remarkably good Death Note dub, they decided they could take it easy. It sounds a lot more like a terrible Blue Water dub (which, at last count, is all of them).

The English dub sounds fine to me. To each his own, but I'd like to hear why you think they sound half-asleep or too young or old?

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
That faint sound you can hear is Gundam 0080 weeping in a corner somewhere.

I have G-Gundam Pt 2 set
Gundam Ms:Char’s Counter Attack
Gundam, Ms 08th Ms set
Gundam F91
Gundam Seed 1-2; St 2
Gundam Wing- 1-10
Endless Waltz M/Ova
Gundam 00 S1 P1
Oh yeh-SD Gundam which probably doesn't count

And I've seen some of the old one that they had on CN awhile back.And Stardust Memories I saw on CN/Midnight Run/whatever they called it back in the old days
Fans of mech
fans of battle scenes/war games/etc
00, Seed, Seed Destiny, Wing for the gals to drool over bishies.
My interest in Gundam is VA's. It tends to use name brand rather than the newbs a lot of shonen use in the main cast. Tomokazu Seki, Kappei Yamaguchi, Nobuyuki Hiyama, Sho Hayami, Takehito Koyasu, Hikaru Midorikawa, Shinichiro Miki, Toshihiko Seki, Souichiro Hoshi, Akira Ishida, Kotono Mitsuishi, Ryotaro Okiayu, Tohru Furuya, Hirotaka Suzuoki.
0080 I haven't gotten to because Kouji Tsujitani isn't particularly on my VA's I buy titles for, but I'm assuming if it doesn't have bishies, it has mechs or battle scenes to drool over.
If you somehow believe they do not include fanservice of a non-human nature, you haven't been watching close enough. I noticed it all over Seed. It's all over Super Robot Wars.
Do not underestimate battle fans, either. We have people who regularly dress up as soldiers of past eras & re-enact various battles.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Some things.

That was very difficult to read and contained a lot more information then I needed to know.

I find myself unable to comprehend your interests in voice actors, since my only interest in them is that they do a good job, but I will say that 0080 is doubtless the best Gundam title ever and excellent regardless and is certainly not about drooling over robots or battles. It's a Buried Treasure for a reason.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I must disagree about the English dub of Gundam 00. It's really all over the place, and one of Ocean's worst in years. Voice actors sound too old or too young, half-asleep, are overused as extras, or just plain painful to the ear to listen to, like the voice for Sergei. Even vets like Brad Swaille and Scott McNeil miss the mark more often than not. It's really like they phoned it in half the time in the English version of this program.

I guess after a remarkably good Death Note dub, they decided they could take it easy. It sounds a lot more like a terrible Blue Water dub (which, at last count, is all of them).

Are you out of mind? This is one of the finest English dubs I've ever heard. To each his own, but seriously, think about what you posted. How do they sound half-asleep or too young or old?

You seem to have very low standards.

Brad Swaille barely registers as Setsuna. It sounds like he's being muffled half the time. He sounds disinterested at best, and asleep at worst. Setsuna should explode with anger half the time, and barely repress it at others. Why Swaille could get Light Yagami right and Setsuna so wrong is beyond me. I guess he'll never really measure up to Mamoru Miyano.

The voice of Graham makes him sound awkward and fifteen years old. Whereas the voice of Shirin, a character that is no older than her late twenties sounds like she's in her late fifties. And when they had Aeolia Shenburg speak, he sounds like he's in his thirties, when the man is clearly in his late forties or fifties.

Tieria sounds robotic. I know that's sort of the point, but the Japanese Tieria doesn't sound robotic, just withdrawn. Richard Ian Cox does a good Hallelujah, but a poor Allelujah. So waiting around for him to suddenly sound right is a pain on the ears, because he sounds too rough to be Al.

Patrick sounds twice as annoying as he should be. Sergei makes my ears bleed with his awful, grating voice. Ali al Sarches is a rare miss for Scott McNeil. The female bridge bunnies all sound exactly alike.

Most of the minor players sound generic, like nobody put any thought into them whatsoever. Somebody tell Scott McNeil to at least ATTEMPT to disguise his voice when he does extras in the same series he plays a major role.

Aside from Lockon and Billy Katagiri, I can't think of any decent performances. It sounds like a CPM or AnimeEigo dub, just stiff, wooden acting. This is Ocean, they can do better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hrist22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Seed didn't really take off until episode twenty four, and Yoshiyuki Tomino's beloved original never really took off at all

I'm usually one to live and let live, but I really have to call your tastes into question for that statement.

Let me guess, too retro? Rolling Eyes
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I just wanna mention something about the lack of subtlety. I would rather it take things with a sledgehammer than be like Code Geass, and apparently have morals that never actually get across to the audience.

For example, while Taniguchi claims that Lelouch is quite villainous he does a terrible job (especially in the last few episodes) of conveying this to the audience. The result is that most of the fandom see him as some sort of Saint, just because Taniguchi and Okouchi failed to convey that some of Lelouch's actions where horrible.

So yeah while it is kind of annoying to see all the Celestial Being get together to talk about how they might not be the Knight in Shining Armor they want to be, it's alot better than not getting your point across at all.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
*5 paragraphs ragging on the dub.*

Aside from Lockon and Billy Katagiri, I can't think of any decent performances.

5 paragraphs ragging on the dub, then just a single sentence mentioning the 2 characters you like? Come on, be fair. You gave separate paragraphs for other characters, flip the coin and give us more detail on why you liked Lockon and Billy Katagiri. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
*5 paragraphs ragging on the dub.*

Aside from Lockon and Billy Katagiri, I can't think of any decent performances.

5 paragraphs ragging on the dub, then just a single sentence mentioning the 2 characters you like? Come on, be fair. You gave separate paragraphs for other characters, flip the coin and give us more detail on why you liked Lockon and Billy Katagiri. Smile

That's fair, I guess.

Kirby Morrow has always come across well in whatever he's done (except, perhaps, Goku in the Ocean dub for DBZ aired only in the UK... though he was better than Sean Schemmel in the Funi dub). He plays Billy Katagiri very smoothly, and makes him likeable, even at Billy's most petty. I've always likened Johnny Yong Bosch's voice to Morrow's. They have striking similarities.

Lockon's voice is very clean, and audible, speaks his lines in a way that puts across what's being informed and felt believably from the perspective of the character. I think he got some getting used to, and he's certainly no Shinichiro Miki, but ended up being very competent in the role.

Also, there were probably a few others I might've liked, but overall I feel that most of the performances sounded forced, like I was listening to one of those old Manga Entertainment dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I too despise the dub; penguintruth is not alone. Now, I know that it takes time to settle in a role, but the trailer was just abysmal in all aspects, but especially the performances by the VAs. Awful, just awful. And judging by what I can find of late season one and early season two on YouTube, I can't say many of the VAs have improved much. The English cast overall certainly pales in comparison to the Japanese lot, who were pretty good right from the get-go.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Sunrise is pretty protective of Gundam, they don't give Bandai Entertainment much room to do things by themselves. They tell Bandai which studio to send the show to get dubbed, they say which Gundam series Bandai can and can't release, etc. It's probably one of the reasons the dub's script is so dry, as with most Gundam dubs. Its hard not to sound disinterested when the script your reading would put most to sleep.

I have Part One (autographed by Brad Swaile today, lol), and am about half way through it. I don't know if I'll stick with the show. Maybe if the show was aired on a Canadian channel I have *cough*thismeansnotSuperchannel*cough*.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't really mind it too much, either way, since I've heard both better and worse dubs than this one. I just prefer to listen to the Japanese track and that's essentially the end of the issue for me.

Regarding the actual show...I agree that Gundam 00 takes a while to get started and even for the main characters to really matter, but eventually several of them do develop in interesting ways and the second season, for the most part, felt more focused in this regard. Ironically enough though, the larger plot ends up being less cerebral and a little more predictable than it initially tried to be, at least in the long run. That's all for a later review, in any event, since the first season does have a few surprises in store.

@Charred Knight:
I'd say creating moral ambiguity was actually the point. Some people glorify him too much, but others do think he was a villain or simply believe he's somewhere in between. Is that wrong? Not really. The fact that Taniguchi was aware of how Lelouch's actions could be considered "evil" doesn't mean that was the point of the show, since a lot of time was also spent on making him sympathetic. The same scenes can and do lead to different viewer reactions.

In any case, there's no shortage of people who overly praise Death Note's Light Yagami, but that is another can of worms. The thing is, everyone's opinions on the matter aren't supposed to be monolithic.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I do not have low standards, how rude. The English acting sounds fine to me is all I'm saying.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wellness

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Are you out of mind? This is one of the finest English dubs I've ever heard. To each his own, but seriously, think about what you posted. How do they sound half-asleep or too young or old?

While I agree penguintruth is wrong in calling it one of the worst dubs produced, I would call it a great one either. Some of the voices do sound off and there are times it is very noticeable with the dialogue but ultimately, I think the VAs grow into their roles rather nicely by the time the last few episodes roll around.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Wellness, you missed a crucial "not". Just saying.

belvadeer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I do not have low standards. The English acting sounds fine to me is all I'm saying. You seem to be judging this dub based on what you heard in Death Note. That's kind of like expecting an Emmy every time the same cast dubs something, even if DN didn't exactly get one. I think you're praising the Japanese version too much.

Dude, the Gundam 00 dub is sub-par. Not just compared to the Death Note dub (which was mediocre*), but sub-par fullstop. Just like 10% of the entire second season (the other 90% being plain crap).

Mediocre at best that is.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I do not have low standards. The English acting sounds fine to me is all I'm saying. You seem to be judging this dub based on what you heard in Death Note. That's kind of like expecting an Emmy every time the same cast dubs something, even if DN didn't exactly get one. I think you're praising the Japanese version too much.

I'm not holding it up to Death Note's dub per se. If it were simply up to bar with, say, the dub for the original Mobile Suit Gundam, or really any reasonable anime dub, it would be fine. It's well below that standard.

As for "praising the Japanese version too much", I'd like to know what you mean. The Japanese version of Gundam 00 is extremely well-acted. Miyano especially does a wonderful job as Setsuna and Keiji Fujiwara's Ali al Sarches sends chills down my spine.

Even if I did hold it up to the dub for Death Note, why can't every dub be at least that good? The Japanese versions are.

Wellness wrote:
While I agree penguintruth is wrong in calling it one of the worst dubs produced, I would call it a great one either.

I didn't say it was one of the worst dubs produced. I said it was Ocean's worst in recent years (though their dubs for the CE Gundam programs weren't great, either). I usually find Ocean's dubs to be fair, especially their Gundam dubs, but this was a disappointment.

(I guess dtm42 and I disagree at the quality of the Death Note dub, but I was just using that as an example.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4