• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Hidamari Sketch, Glass Mask, Neo Angelique Abyss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Great news. I wasn't expecting Hidamari Sketch to see a US release any time soon/at all.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
350 minutes for the Hidamari boxset. That means the two OVA episodes are included too, right? That's great. Too often licensing companies neglect to include those.
Pseudonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I'll look forward to Hidamari Sketch Very Happy

I, too, would like to see things from ADV/Sentai/S23/whatever dubbed, but I will take what I can get.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god I love you ADV 2.0.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if they'll be tempted to get more SHAFT shows if Hidamari does well?
Something like Zetsubou Sensei would suit them, since it would be near impossible to produce a dub unless Shin-chan style, and is hardly going to get picked up by any other company due to the nature of the show and its content.
Either way, Sentai have quickly become my fav anime firm bar the slight issues I mentioned in my first post.
Sure beats the horrid, low quality releases FUNi are pumping out.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I'm sure they want to dub titles, but right now the titles they are acquiring don't really have the sales support for them. But you never know, some of the stuff they have released has done really well, especially for sub-only releases. But even if or when they start dubbing, it will never go back to the way that ADV dubbed everything.

Well thats what i'm hoping. Because until they start dubbing their better series like Clannad and Ghost Hound, they wont be getting any of my money Mad
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
The simple fact is that the only reason Sentai can afford to license and release this stuff here is because of the lack of dub, which save a HUGE amount of money on production, making unprofitable titles profitable.
Of course the down side is that it means they limit their potential customer base, but it's better than nothing.
Would you rather never see these titles released here or even worse, have them dubbed, turn no profit, and have yet another R1 anime licensor go bankrupt?
Whining for a dub will do no good. Put up or shut up.
Companies like this need and deserve all the support they can get.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
The simple fact is that the only reason Sentai can afford to license and release this stuff here is because of the lack of dub, which save a HUGE amount of money on production, making unprofitable titles profitable.

I have to think that Funimation has first crack at ANY anime considered for release here. If they pass, the dub chances virtually vanish unless it has a TV deal.

But man I am I loving the agressive release schedule. I am a dub lover, but I shudder to think what would happen to titles like Aria or Maria watches over us with a cheap dub (Karin, Ah My Buddha). To duplicate the original would be such a money losing effort.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Hidamari being licensed made my day. My favorite feel-good show in the past couple of years. Pre-ordering as soon as I possibly can.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Poor product choice in my opinion. Not because they're bad shows, but where's the audience? What was the last time you heard anyone talk about Glass Mask or Neo Angelique (excluding crunchyroll users). I don't really see anyone picking this up at a Best Buy. Actually, maybe Hidamari Sketch since if they put in some of the cutest, best artwork pssible, some moe enthusiast will pick it up.

It seems to me like Section23 wants to end up like ADV all over again. Let's remember that ADV is the company that had to drop THIRTY of their licenses due to poor product choice.

I mean did anyone other than me pick up Those Who Hunt Elves and Papuwa?

Quote:
Ghost Hound is the only one whose price seems a bit high.

That show's release pissed me off. This is one of those shows that deserves, no needs a commentary. It's one of those series that I wanted to know what was going throught the directors head to know what type of decisions he made. No, they want me to buy this for 50 friggin' dollars. As anti fansub as I am, I condone watching fansubs of this show.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
It seems to me like Section23 wants to end up like ADV all over again. Let's remember that ADV is the company that had to drop THIRTY of their licenses due to poor product choice.

Not, they're the company that had lost 30 of their licenses because the business partner they teamed up with decided to leave the partnership and go to another company in the end. I'm not going to go into detail about the whole ADV/Sojitz thing since it's been documented and talked about more than enough already and you can find out everything you need to know from that deal just by searching.

Don't get your facts wrong.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Poor product choice in my opinion. Not because they're bad shows, but where's the audience? What was the last time you heard anyone talk about Glass Mask or Neo Angelique (excluding crunchyroll users). I don't really see anyone picking this up at a Best Buy. Actually, maybe Hidamari Sketch since if they put in some of the cutest, best artwork pssible, some moe enthusiast will pick it up.

err.. the audience is everyone else who's going to buy them. And no, the audience isn't the Best Buy crowd. If you were not familiar with the fansubs, or Key, you could ask the same "who's going to buy this?" for Clannad S1,S2. Yet it did sell well from the bits of 2nd hand news on teh interwebs.

The previous licensing of Blue Drop was incidentally like, "Finally, Hallelujah!" to a lot of people including me btw. Likewise when CR finally finished Glass Mask, given it's stalled fansubs. Hidamari, if priced in the ~$25-$30 range as they usually are (like Blue Drop) will automatically sell. For others like Glass Mask, Angelique, new viewers, especially Shoujo fans, just require a bit of marketing. It's all on CR so they can preview it there.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
And where do you think their deal broke from? Not having enough money to sustain anything. I'll admit my facts aren't solid, but they're not entirely wrong.

Quote:
Clannad S1,S2.

Maybe this is just my Best Buy, but almost all of Section 23's stuff is in mine. From Those Who Hunt Elves (mediocre series) to Clannad to Dark Legends. They're still sitting there...waiting to get bought.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Clannad S1,S2.

Maybe this is just my Best Buy, but almost all of Section 23's stuff is in mine. From Those Who Hunt Elves (mediocre series) to Clannad to Dark Legends. They're still sitting there...waiting to get bought.

Might be. Most around here got rid of most of their anime stock in the last Best Buy anime purge if you remember the news. I visited my local Borders recently and they completely got rid of all of their anime DVDs, despite the decent manga stock they have.
dizzon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Of course the down side is that it means they limit their potential customer base, but it's better than nothing.

True, and the potential customer base of people who want dubs for the type of shows Sentai picks up is not large enough to justify one.

Quote:
Would you rather never see these titles released here or even worse, have them dubbed, turn no profit, and have yet another R1 anime licensor go bankrupt?
Whining for a dub will do no good. Put up or shut up.
Companies like this need and deserve all the support they can get.

Sentai has taken a page from Nozomi; identify the types of shows that are, or would be popular with anime fans that prefer watching subs. The only way Hidamari Sketch makes a decent profit in R1 is to be released sub only, it has an audience, but the vast majority of that audience couldn't care less if it came with a dub. I'm sorry if some of you want a dub for these shows, I doubt they will ever get one. Not because they can't afford it, but because they probably never planned to from the start.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5