• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legendary Pictures Licenses Godzilla Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
west_tx_tapper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
The great thing is after they released it, Toho started to mock Zilla(American Godzilla) in a couple of the previous released Godzilla films.

I remember that. I watched one that was made in '99 and one of the scientists or JSDF officers called it a creature "similar" to Godzilla. Laughing
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
It's on par with DragonBall [Evolution].

Now that's maybe a little harsh.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I don't think I'll ever understand how nerds (no offense) think.

We don't think, we just act like our favorite game character.

Well, this is goods news. I don't know the 50's Godzilla, but I didn't like the 98 that much. Hopefully they will do fine, as they seem to have the money.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
So both Batman and the new Godzilla movie are being made by the same studio... Hmm..

The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
So both Batman and the new Godzilla movie are being made by the same studio... Hmm..

Once upon a time, there was a propolsal for a Batman meets Godzilla movie. However it was among the several rejected or selved Godzilla movies.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room/batman_vs_godzilla.htm
http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room.htm
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
See, I'm the complete opposite of all you obsessed about the "true orgins" and like the 1998 movie better than the one's from the 70's (or whenever they were made). I could care less if it's "true", just make it entertaining and have Godzilla destroy a lot stuff.

I don't think I'll ever understand how nerds (no offense) think.

Yeah I don't get it either as in the first Godzilla movie spoiler[ He gets killed by a bomb that removes all oxygen from the water in a given area, while underwater, in the ocean. Saw the instant disintegration they proposed would happen...] Thus every other Godzilla movie would have to be alternate universes (granted some explored more than others) just for sequels to happen (Unless you actually accept the 1998 movie...)
toru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That's a clip from "Always: Sunset on Third Street 2", haven't seen the whole movie, but anything that has a godzilla parody is always cool to watch.
butterfly320

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Toho will budge and give them any good monsters to have in it besides Godzilla (should this film be going that route anyway). I think that was one of the other problems with the last one, originally they'd said they wanted some other monsters in it, but Toho denied them rights to most of the good ones like Rodan, Anguiras, Mothra (I use good loosely here...) and King Ghidorah.
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I too think it be great if they'd have the other Toho monsters as co-stars for this movie. If Legendary Pictures had any interests in doing so.

In opinion the best Godzilla movies are the ones that had the most monsters. One of the reasons I liked Destroy All Monsters & Final Wars the most.
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Personally I can't wait. As a HUGE Godzilla fan, I am always excited by the announcement of a new Godzilla movie.

They already have stated that the film will be more along the lines of the original Gojira (Godzilla) movie, and not the 1998 crap-fest.

Now if they could somehow convince Toho to buy back the rights (and sell them to WB) for 1985, Biollante, and Megalon (a much better version than the Alpha video "bootleg" one), and maybe get those '90s films in single (non-flipper, and widescreen) disc versions from Sony, then all would be good. Also a Japanese version of ALL the movies (with the English version on them) would be nice (Mostly Destroy All Monsters & Godzilla 2000).

I also was kind of interested in seeing what the heck Banno was going to do with the "3D" film. Oh well I guess that went into developmental heck...
Naraku1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
butterfly320 wrote:
I wonder if Toho will budge and give them any good monsters to have in it besides Godzilla (should this film be going that route anyway). I think that was one of the other problems with the last one, originally they'd said they wanted some other monsters in it, but Toho denied them rights to most of the good ones like Rodan, Anguiras, Mothra (I use good loosely here...) and King Ghidorah.

It wasn't that Toho flat out "denied" them the rights, they just wanted too much money for the rights to another monster in the movie. Devlin, in his only moment of true genius concerning crap-zilla 1998, toyed with the idea of adding in King Ghidorah. My memory is a bit fuzzy since I've slept since then, but I think when the idea was fielded, Toho wanted more money for King Ghidorah than Tristar paid for Godzilla! After that Devlin changed his mind and was quoted to have said that "Every godzilla movie is the same thing over and over again. A monster shows up to attack and Godzilla defeats it." I guess he thought that making a movie about Godzilla fighting only the military was orginial? Rolling Eyes

On another note, I have absolute confidence in this movie with Legendary behind it. They haven't, in my mind, made a bad movie yet. The original director of Godzilla vs. the Smog monster is also on-board as one of 4-5 producers, so there is little chance of another disaster like 1998 occurring. That being said however, they still have not picked a director, so I may be speaking too soon. I hope the movie does well and gives Hollywood a chance to 1. redeem itself, and 2. make another movie that will have King Ghidorah (my favorite monster), in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3