• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - OveraChivers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AkiraKaneda wrote:
(Perhaps you're just referring to Zac's generally condescending attitude towards anything potentially religious, and I'd agree on that point.)

Alright, what?

Usually when people say "Zac always says [whatever]" I know what they read that they didn't like but what are you talking about here?

we all know you hate religious fanatics, Zac. it comes up in like every podcast.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for a slew of Christian-themed anime.

God is so tsundere. Tsun tsun in the Old Testament, dere dere in the New Testament.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
merr wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Let me guess: Moe is evil and is killing the anime industry, and Zac hates it.

Let me guess. You're only here to talk about how evil and wrong Zac is for not having exactly the same tastes that you do, and for commenting on a trend that IS in fact causing the anime industry to stagnate.

No, his point was about how predictable Zac's reaction was once the topic went to moe.
Tell me einhorn, was merr incorrect in what he said?

Exactly. I mean, we got the same tirade last episode. Finally, we were getting some real thought out analysis of how production committees are structured, the market, animation schools, etc, and as *soon* as Zac opens his mouth (38:00), I knew we're just gonna get more of the same thing we get every episode...and we did.

As someone who actually likes and enjoys Japanese anime (unlike this podcast's hosts) as it exists in reality, and not just some constructed ideal of what anime could or should be, I don't much care for the "Turn all of Japan into an outsourcing factory for Hollywood" solution that Umennachi is suggesting here.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
This podcast was soooo good! To have someone on the show with that level of insight was fantastic to hear, not just because of the amount of information but because of how engaging Chi was. The standard end of interview banter is usually, if not always....(host)"thanks for being on the show" (guest)"I enjoyed it, anytime", in this case I'm really hoping all parties involved make good on that.

Edit: By "make good on that" I mean Chi being on ANNCast again as I really enjoyed his perspective, just wanted to make sure there was no confusion. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by dizzon on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
38:45 Maybe Zac has the solution!

Pure Genius! I'd say he's right. Having the Minister of Health or whomever berating women to spit out more babies is asinine - make HIM spit out all those babies, the pig.

Also, sure it's an issue, but isn't global overpopulation and crowding a MAJOR issue? I say the world could take a tip from Japan -and WRAP IT UP!

That issue aside, I'm all for raising the age of Fap back to barely legal and above and not South of the Border.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I can't wait for a slew of Christian-themed anime.

God is so tsundere. Tsun tsun in the Old Testament, dere dere in the New Testament.

It's...It's not like I wanted to save you, or anything!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
As someone who actually likes and enjoys Japanese anime (unlike this podcast's hosts) as it exists in reality, and not just some constructed ideal of what anime could or should be, I don't much care for the "Turn all of Japan into an outsourcing factory for Hollywood" solution that Umennachi is suggesting here.

Your fanboy rage may have caused you to miss the point of this particular conversation. We were not referring to things WE wanted as fans, but things that could bring the industry some badly needed money, and the morale boost that goes along with it. (Ever been at a sinking ship of a company? I've been there twice. It's pretty damn depressing, and can't help but color your creativity.)

Ideally, an American producer would set up shop in Japan and fund new Japanese auteur projects, and produce them under an American production system (which, for all its faults, does work pretty effectively). Unfortunately nobody in Hollywood is so excited about anime's moneymaking prospects at the moment, and people here are also in "protect what works" mode. So, that's a total pipe dream.
stoicelder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
That was the most engaging, entertaining, and depressing ANNcast I've listened too. Glad to know there's people like Chi over there who have an awareness of the situation and are trying to find solutions. I would love another ANNcast with Chi as the guest in the future.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
Great podcast. Now I'm depressed.

I don't know that any of the proposed "solutions" to the stagnating industry were anything that made me feel more confident about future success. Moe and Loli, even mixed with another genre, is still going to be viewed as Moe and Loli to western audiences. That's the way I see it.

I know that Chi was using "Dance in the Vampire Bund" as an example of a crossover show. But I just don't see that show attracting much of a crossover audience at all. Vampire fans in the U.S. are mostly women who are consuming urban fantasy and paranormal romance novels. I think the audience for "True Blood" is about 60% female, and that is an anomaly for a show of its type. I can pretty much guarantee that "Dance in the Vampire Bund" is NOT going to appeal to the usual audience for vampire fiction. "Vampire Knight" probably would if it was marketed the right way, but I don't see Viz going out of their way to market this show to the audience that would buy it. Instead, they're just sitting on it - no release date. Hrrumph.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
I really like Kaicho wa Maid-sama, but it's definitely the interaction between the two leads that's the good part. The rest isn't all that great. The boys in the school act extremely immature, so she reacts in an extreme manner towards them, and the whole thing is quickly over the top. But the interaction between the two leads is quite good and rather refreshing I think. It's too bad that the rest of the show doesn't match that level of quality though.

As for Night Raid, I hate the Chinese in it. I don't speak Chinese, but I've been around plenty of people who do, and what they have in Night Raid sounds incredibly stilted and definitely hurts the show. I think that it seriously harms the quality rather than improving the ambience. There are plenty of cases in film where they've chosen to have everyone speak in the language of the audience rather than acknowledge that the characters would really be speaking some other language. That's what they should have done here. And if it ever gets brought over here, I honestly hope that they just dub the whole thing in English. It would be so much better that way. Barring that, it would definitely be better if they could find appropriately bilingual actors for the parts, but I don't think that very many anime dub actors speak Chinese fluently. And since the most likely studio to dub it (since so few studios are dubbing) would be Funimation (who is in Texas), it would probably be a lot harder for them to find appropriately bilingual actors than for the studios in California.

The idea of combining moe and scifi-esque stuff might work well, but doing it with loli (especially really sexualized loli) is an instant failure, so Vampire Bund just isn't going to do it. Still, other shows have shown that combining genres can really broaden your audience if done correctly - Code Geass being one good example. Of course, if done incorrectly, you get total trash, but it would definitely be a good boost for the anime industry if they could better figure out how to make shows that work well for both Japanese and Western audiences. It's a difficult nut to crack though. Still, the anime industry in Japan does need a way to revitalize itself.

All in all, a very interesting podcast. In fact, I think that it was probably one of the better ones so far (though I'm not sure that anything's ever going to top the Geneon one).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:29 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Justin and I had a pretty good conversation about the way anime is financed, but I would still like to know how the studio gets added to a production committee.

How is the studio receiving royalties if all other parties are reaping the profits? I would assume the primary producers of the DVD would reap in this regard, since studios don't produce their own DVDs.

I can't fathom a studio would finance its own works. That would be like taking existing capital, throwing into the production committee, only to pay themselves right back for their own wages. Neutral
This might be of use for you there mate. The term "royality" only refers to anyone related to the "Royal Family" in Japan. Anything else is just too shameful, and therefore not discussed. Wink
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Unfortunately nobody in Hollywood is so excited about anime's moneymaking prospects at the moment, and people here are also in "protect what works" mode. So, that's a total pipe dream.

Actually there's a Hollywood producer here in Tokyo at this very moment trying to do exactly what was suggested, but he's naive and has no idea how the Japanese system works.

If he's representative of how Hollywood is going about things, it's no wonder nothing ever worked well.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
This might be of use for you there mate.

Sure, once it's updated to reflect what really happens now, rather than what happened in 2003.
Wink
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
Yes, yes, Zac hates moe. So what else is new? There's no need to say that every single podcast.

I would like to point out that Moe Mary Magdalene HAS already been made: Chrono Crusade.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
AkiraKaneda wrote:
Actually, Christian studies -- the serious ones -- regularly refer to the "Hebrew cult" or the "Christian cult" as establishing the sect-like nature of certain movements. NRM is a politically-correct term, but not all religious movements are new, so "cult" works even at a graduate level. (Perhaps you're just referring to Zac's generally condescending attitude towards anything potentially religious, and I'd agree on that point.)

Oh, absolutely, within a scholarly context "cult" has a very legitimate meaning and usage that is entirely neutral (as does "myth," for that matter). But we all know full well that in everyday usage it's an insulting term that comes with a whole host of stereotypes attached to it. Honest, I know nothing about this group in question, but attaching a term to them that's also been applied to Aum Shinrikyou? That's ridiculously prejudicial.

As for Zac's anti-religious sentiments... I've yet to notice them. I mean, how often does it even come up? And I think it's undeniable that most religion-sponsored entertainment has been pretty awful from an objective stance, even if it's well-intentioned, which brings us too...

Quote:
There's certainly Christian fiction that could be made into interesting animated films in the anime realm, but then again, I'm thinking Flannery O'Connor and C.S. Lewis, not Left Behind.

Well, or Shusuke Endou, to use a native Japanese example. Or if a Buddhist society sponsored an anime adaptation of Tezuka's The Buddha. There are more than just Christians out there in the world, folks. ~_^

Quote:
The major thing I have against this thought process is not that it couldn't make the Japanese industry some money; it's that it's not truly anime. TBN doesn't care, but anime fans do, and I don't think any of us would really consider this product "anime" in any real sense of the word. I was at a local conference a few weeks ago and had a discussion on the "anime-ness" of Superbook, since it was commissioned stateside.

What do you mean by "Anime-ness"? I've always defined anime as "animation with origins in Japan (ignoring the outsourcing that happens in all animation nowadays)." The only reason I'd have to doubt the "anime-ness" of a lot of the collaborations (Animatrix, the recent Dante's Inferno) is that they're more of a mix of anime and American animation. I'm fine with that. Collaborative efforts that break down the barriers of our easy categories - how very post-modern!

Also, I think you'll find tsuntsun and deredere in both the Old and New Testaments. And Genesis 1-3 could be classified as total yandere behavior: "I love you so much and you rejected me, and now you're in for a world of hurt!" The question is, would a moe god get people to convert?

Okay, that might be offensive to many people's faith, I suppose, but have a sense of humor, okay? Wink

DmonHero wrote:
I would like to point out that Moe Mary Magdalene HAS already been made: Chrono Crusade.

That wasn't the Biblical Mary Magdalene, spoiler[it was a more recently-born woman named after her who had visions and made a contract with Chrono.] And I'm not sure whether I'd even classify her as moe. At least not in the manga. Screw the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6