• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Subtitled Anime on Adult Swim?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:

I can't figgure out why they don't brodcast the japanese lanague track in the Sap spot. (some shows you can get in spanish) and then all you have to do is turn on the closed captions. (which is something I do most of the time anyway)

Why don't you show your anime subtitled? Use SAP or something. Dubs **bleep**!

Our control room is not equipped to run text on the SAP channel. Additionally, we feel that dubbed anime appeals to the majority of our audience.

That's what AS says...
Tyvinsan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I would hope for KOR, but if I had to guess it would be Love Hina. There has always been alot of yelling to get that show on CN, and the dub is....well, i don't think there is a strong enough word to describe how bad the dub is.
Montusama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
finally! subs on tv! the world is changing for us sub loving fans! now the question will it be a new new show or just like an older show but with subs? and what kind of subs? the subs off the dvd? or something that's actually GOOD? (it doens't have to be fansub fonts but like something that you put work into.......)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Oh man, you all really like Asuka's dub voice? That voice makes me sick. The Japanese one was perfect. The dubbed Excel was horrid, though, much worse than the dub Asuka. I'd rather snap the DVD in half than have to listed to Excel's dub voice. The Japanese Excel voice was also perfect.

Oh no! Someone has a different taste to what I have! They're evil and wrong!

Stop posting for justice, internet boy, and just let it go, kay?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I liked Excel's first dub voice (Jessica Calvello) a lot. The second one took some getting used to after she left. But both suited Excel's hyperness.

Anyway, back onto the subject, subtitled anime on AS sounds interesting. But you'll probably get all kinds of complaints about how some fans don't want to read while they're watching, which is stupid, because if you watch enough subtitled anime, you adjust to it.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
This'll certainly stir the rumor mill [/Capt. Obvious]

Recent history and some wishful thinking says 2x2=Shinobuden, even though it may be a bit too....suggestive at points.

Whatever it is, it's probably going to be something that's hard to coherently translate into English/American ideas. Or, it could be Lupin. Laughing
Worldestroyer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
what would be awesome:

bleach
naruto
ebichu the housekeeping hamster

rofl, Yes... I would _love_ to watch Ebichu on Adult Swim... I would completely laugh my ass off. But sadly that won't happen because of two things, one it's unlicensed and two... It's a anime about a perverted Hamster and his sexual adventures. Imagine a bunch people who would tune in to watch Inuyasha and instead ended up watching a Hamster play with a dildo...

Genshiken on the other hand would be a awesome idea, although I don't know how regular AS Watchers would react to it.

Edit: After thinking about it for a bit, Maybe they could be referring to something like Naruto? Show it on Toonami dub'd, and on AS sub'd.. Or something to that effect.. not that I would watch either.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Oh man, you all really like Asuka's dub voice? That voice makes me sick. The Japanese one was perfect. The dubbed Excel was horrid, though, much worse than the dub Asuka. I'd rather snap the DVD in half than have to listed to Excel's dub voice. The Japanese Excel voice was also perfect.

Oh no! Someone has a different taste to what I have! They're evil and wrong!

Stop posting for justice, internet boy, and just let it go, kay?

I'm entitled to speak my own opinion, too. Plus, I am just showing how unbelievably surprised I am that so many people like these particular dub voices. It's blowing me away.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
They can't put anything on the Close Caption stream except a word for word description of what's being said. If the CC and audio don't line up, you're considered to be discriminating against the deaf.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Neverthless, dubbed shows appeal to a much broader audience, despite how well someone may adjust to it. I bet there's just as many people in Japan saying Hollywood films should be subtitled, rather than dubbed into Japanese, lol.
Kuroro IX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Stueypark wrote:
Neverthless, dubbed shows appeal to a much broader audience, despite how well someone may adjust to it. I bet there's just as many people in Japan saying Hollywood films should be subtitled, rather than dubbed into Japanese, lol.

It doesn't seem hard to find both versions (dubbed & subbed) in theaters. For example, when I was in Japan this summer, I went to see Batman Begins and War of the Worlds (both with English vocals, Japanese subtitles).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
I have no idea what series it could be. I'm actually glad they're lightening up on Inu-Yasha. Time to give the newer shows a chance.

How are they lightening up on Inu-Yasha exactly? They're just out of new episodes for now. That's already happened like five times thus far; this time is no different. The show will still air in reruns until new episodes crop up because it's an immense success.

Anyway, as far as this whole subtitling deal goes, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I highly, highly doubt it'll be any of the "underappreciated classics" like Urusei Yatsura or Kimagure Orange Road. None of those shows fit what Adult Swim typically looks for in an anime, and it's long been proven, unfortunately, that Cartoon Network's viewership typically doesn't like older anime unless it's something they've actually grown up with like Speed Racer or Robotech. Personally, I'd love it to be Beck, but unless there's one helluva surprise license announcement coming up (perhaps at AWA?--hey, I can dream, can't I? Laughing ), that one seems highly unlikely, as well. And as other people have said, the foul language wouldn't be an issue so long as the almighty bleep exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Worldestroyer wrote:
Yes... I would _love_ to watch Ebichu on Adult Swim... I would completely laugh my ass off. But sadly that won't happen because of two things, one it's unlicensed and two... It's a anime about a perverted Hamster and his sexual adventures.

No, it's about a perverted hamster and his owner's sexual adventures. Get it straight. Rolling Eyes

And I thought Ebichu was licensed.... Wink
AnimeRonin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Montusama wrote:
finally! subs on tv! the world is changing for us sub loving fans! now the question will it be a new new show or just like an older show but with subs? and what kind of subs? the subs off the dvd? or something that's actually GOOD? (it doens't have to be fansub fonts but like something that you put work into.......)
It's already been mentioned as a new series... well, it depends on how "new" it is to the new generation of anime fans.. so that's covered.

As for if it were to come "off the DVD"... I'm not sure. Maybe it's a licensed series that no one hasn't seen yet, as a lot of the people here have already mentioned.
Inu-Yasha wrote:
Subbed Anime I would love to see on AS are:
Bleach
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Bleach unlicensed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimeRonin wrote:

Inu-Yasha wrote:
Subbed Anime I would love to see on AS are:
Bleach
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Bleach unlicensed?

you're right... it's still being listed on an anime torrent site that lists only unlicensed series. altho it WOULD be cool if it was licensed... that's a series I'd like to own on DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6